Thread: The Engineer's Guide to Pvp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default The Engineer's Guide to Pvp

The Situation

As requested, I will endeavour to keep this updated with upcoming patches and content, so I'll date stamp this section and post updates as required

13/12/11 (I'm Aussie)
    With the general consensus being that engineers in pvp are [insert synonym for "crap"], I've decided to stick up for us engineers attempting to give pvp a shot. Even though we are in need of some serious attention for pvp skill fixes (transference anyone?), there is great fun to be had when pvping as an engineer. Damage Over Time kills after you've already died is one of the greatest feelings ever, second to winning I guess

There are battles that you simply just won't be able to win, but there are a few tactics that we can use to win some (read: few) battles. As a previous PL pvp player, I was accustomed to my 4:1 KD ratio, but this just isn't happening for me at the moment in SL (almost 1:1 lol), but I'm ok with that because of my <3 for the Engie.

This guide will focus mainly on duelling, but most of the tactics will apply to larger 3v3 scenarios.

17/12/11
    Winter update didn't bring any fixes extra skill points are great though, but not enough to bump us up. I've been using Protection and Force Shield maxxed out, and it's working great so far. But it seems that other classes have obviously gotten stronger also, and if anything, I have found it harder to win more duels. I'll update the build notes below. Plat armour is also cheaper now too. Win!

I think it is important to note that when it comes down to the nitty gritty, implants can make or break you. You need to test which implant works best against your opponent, as one will certainly stand out as being the winner.
    How, you ask? Whilst in the "I'm Dead!" position, type "HP%?" and gauge the outcome. A great performance review!

The Gear

Plat 40 Armor
    Blackstar Shield
    Nova
    Plat Dodge Implant

As of now, the best armor I've found that works in most scenarios is the 40 Platinum Armor, Blackstar Shield and Plat Dodge Implant. You'll need 40 plat to get it all; 35 dodge doesn't come cheap.

This gear is all used to max dodge. You'll need it so survive and it has worked well for me so far.

As mentioned in posts below, switching out with the DPS Implant also has its advantages in some duels. Even the Hit% has also worked well for me depending on the opponent. I usually test them all out against each opponent, and one usually stands out as the winner Trial and error my friends!

26/12/11
    Through further testing, Damage implant is definitely the best performing implant.

The Build

My build is no secret, and I encourage you all to provide input as to what you've found to work best. Knowledge is power! I've respecced many times, so to save your plat, here's what I've found that works best for me, with reasoning:

Statistics

I've been running a 50-50 split between Strength and Intelligence. Strength engineers definitely beat Intelligence engineers, so I'm testing the hybrid and it's working well so far.

Skill Points

Wither - 6
    Main damage skill, solid damage for the DoT at level 6.

Leech - 6
    Combined with Empathy, this will contribute to your ability to heal, so maxxing is a must.

Empathy - 6
    Have this on your first page as you -will- be spamming it.

Revive - 1
    Gives 1 DPS, Mana Regen & Armor. They all help!
    Update 17/12/11: Not using this at the moment, as I don't have enough room on screen with Protection now maxxed out.

Force Shield - 6
    I run with Dodge gear, so FS at 6 gives the max buffer to help us survive. You can substitute this for 6 protection if you want to go the +60 armor route also.

Suppression - 2
    Suppression at 2 lets you stun all opponents if needed. You only really need one point for duels. Read next skill.

Protection - 6
    I've already got 8 skills on my screen, so putting the extra point from suppression into here really wasn't worth it for me. Drop it into pain if you want. Max this instead of Force Shield for 3v3. Test it out if you want and report back!
    Update 17/12/11: Maxxed out now with the extra skill points. 60 extra armour works well.

Transference - 0
    Um, it heals your opponent. Stay away until fix!

Pain - 1
    Maxing it out gives you minimal damage increase over just having one point. Can't remember exact numbers atm, but we mainly use this for the stun.

Sonic Boom - 0
    Not worth it due to the long recharge duration.

Decay - 6
    The best skill in our arsenal. Reduces armor and gives a DoT. Max it.

The Tactics

Alright, right off the bat let me tell you that you will need to kite. You will be running alot to survive and using your stuns to keep your opponent at range. Always, always, always keep them as far away as possible. Our DoTs reach them from 12m.

Use Suppression to stun the target. Remember that any damage will break the stun. I usually use this when I see my opponent buffing and DoTs are not currently on the target.

So far for my combo, what I've been using is this... it really depends on who you're facing though, be it op, comm or engie. The longer the battle, the higher your chances are of winning so just remember that.

Change it up when you analyse your opponents strategy. Here is what you can base your own combo off.

Alpha:
    Revival, Protection and Force Shield before match, Empathy, Decay, Wither, Leech, Pain.

Beta:
    Empathy, Wither, Pain, Leech, Empathy, Decay, Pain.

Use Suppression when DoTs wear off or as required. Time your Pain so that you hit them just as you run around a corner. Have your skills go from bottom to top on the first page then top to bottom on the second. This will ensure that you get them off as quickly as possible. Keep them at range, learn that range, and practice using your range. That's the best advice I can give you.

The Battle

• Use stuns from far away and run out of their range.
    • Keep corners close to get out of their line of sight.
    • Manage your auto so you don't break stun from suppression (it doesn't auto off like in pve).
    • Force Shield will help you after you take on their alpha and will help your empathy heal you up by providing a buffer.

I don't have enough time to finish this off but most of my strategies are here. I've been able to defeat commandos and operatives, some that are quite good also with this build. But like I said, there are some battles that you just will not be able to win, regardless of your strategy - those comms and ops are brutal! We do need fixes and until then, this guide should be able to help with your engineer pvp craving

Kudos to Kanra, Hellcharger, Bubu, Mrsberry, Morfic, Secretagent, Gilmo & Bigbangtheory for test dummying! Couldn't have done it without you

I look forward to hearing your input and suggestions!! And most importantly, (as the cliche goes) have fun!!!
    Last edited by Bene; 12-29-2011 at 01:08 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bene For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great thread bene <3!
    Agreed that engies need a bit of a change for pvp but engies dont suck 100% and bene proved it.You just need the wright strategy. Bene your are by far the best engie I've ever played. Im a little scared after engies learn your strategy ill be getting pwned. Better start training against good engies lol.
    Your welcome Bene <3, any time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

You could also suggest to get platinum side implant called dodger D-2 dodge amplifyer. It gives more dodge points then the regular green one
    Also suppression is no good in a 1v1 battle so keep that at 1, pain is worth getting bcuz it keeps target rooted for 3 sec I believe (enough time for you to run away and heal) and it takes 8 sec to recharge instead of the 15 sec suppression
    Last edited by ThisGuy0502; 12-13-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Awesome guide/build Bene! <3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default great guide bene <3

Wow nice I like it man keep up the good work, I will definitely use this build for my engineer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

this is great! i try to do very similar stuff like you mentioned. however, i switch between implants depending on my opponents. when i go up against an engi, i take the dodge off and put damage on. i want to do as much damage as possible quickly bc he is going to heal. i also use the hit or dodge implant against ops. i know everyone won't agree, but they get huge dodge and with the plat gear, i still have 25 dodge (no nova for me unfortunately). on coms i use the dodge. com dodge in so low even with plat gear that i don't need hit, and i was their pull skill to miss me. i don't use wither because it ticks for too long and i found that i had trouble keeping suppression on my opponent with it. i don't break suppression when just using decay and leech. same pain strategy. i use protection for the slight armor buff, and use forceshild to reduce some damage, even though it doesnt last that long. sonic boom got the extra skill points i had bc its nice to do a little damage when i get stuck next to my opponent, even though i am really trying to stun & run. DOTs go while pain roots opponent and i heal. by the time they pain root ends and my opponet gets just within range, decay and leech DOTs have worn off so i'll try to use sppression so i can stun & run to heal. i'm sure anyone else who does stun & run gets complaints too, but it's a strategy, and one i think engis need. i understand why it is frustrating for the opponent tho. Here is my PvP skill setup:

126-

my PvP toon is only 35, wasn't capping a fourth toon for the extra skill point.

great build, i was lazy and didn't feel like typing mine up, but seeing yours so similar to mine motivated me :-)
    <Infinite Union> Eyeofnewt Engi - Eyesssniper Op - LelouchX Com ~ GinFiend
    *G+ Chat For STS Community**Newt's Engi Build*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Bigbangtheory is no test dummy lol 1400 plus kills engis rock damage implant over dodge for me n kite kite kite or as the comms n ops i beat say u run well they whine lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TorrieFayth View Post
    Great thread bene <3!
    Agreed that engies need a bit of a change for pvp but engies dont suck 100% and bene proved it.You just need the wright strategy. Bene your are by far the best engie I've ever played. Im a little scared after engies learn your strategy ill be getting pwned. Better start training against good engies lol.
    Your welcome Bene <3, any time
    bewwy bewwy wlecome to the forums

and yes i can vouch for this build , great engineer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Hehe ill vouch for this guide aswell, one of the few good enigie pvpers.
    we have to pvp again sometime bene

-Hellcharger

the way to change the world is by doing one act of kindness at a time, care to buy some cookies?

PL: Zaltiar Lvl66| SL: Hellcharger/Alibi Lvl 41Com|Zaltiar Lvl38 Op| Warbringer 38

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Excellent guide Bene! I enjoyed our PvP yesterday, and I am progressively getting better at my current build. One question, why do you use Protection so late in the match? Or was that a typo for Force Shield?

Hope to see you around!

Let's make it SPARKLE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts

Hiya guys....Well Bene, i have known you for quite a long time....and i have to say...THANK YOU! this will help me, because, well, i want to be good in PvP but im still no pro (yes i buy the Plat goods from store). currently im not doing PvP, until i muster up the confidence to do PvP as an Engineer. (if there was a plat option to reste PvP stats then yay!!! but not PvE stats thats pointless lol). Keep this updated, because Eng are my fav, and im sure this will help many players.

(all I want for X-mas is a Nova lol)

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=54483&dateline=131136  6901
    PL-Ghosts | SL-DL-AL- Ghost | SL-DL-AL-Octavos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

<3 Bene <3
    Awesome Guide Bro!! Extremely detailed and well organized. I used to think I had an awesome Engi PvP Build until you felt it was necessary to take me down. Lets swap gear and see who wins! :-P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bene View Post
    13/11/11
    Hey what month comes after December? My teacher only taught me 12 months
    "This has better graphics then real life!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The whole reason I switched to op was this very reason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Some AWESOME testing accomplished with you today Bene! Rifles, heavy weaps, gloves, kiting, custom vs plat, and the different implants..I feel we learned a wealth of information to assist us in the future. Keep up the awesome enginess!

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

Let's make it SPARKLE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bene now with this updat will u be updatin ur page for the skill points? I got like 4 skill points but dont kno where I should put them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks so much for your kind words guys, I really appreciate it!

I haven't had access to a computer to reply individually, but all questions that have been asked thus far I have answered in the first post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have applied some of this to my level 21 eng. great guide 21-11 record so,far