Thread: Blackstar Webcomic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Blackstar Webcomic?

Just kindof an itch that's hit since this's the first MMO I've been involved with in a very long time that's, y'know, actually still got a live playerbase as opposed to surviving off fan community (phantasy star online I am looking Right At You.)

The thing is I can't do art to save my life, and I'd really honestly like someone who can actually do some black and white stuff to lend a pencil to the project.

So, why should anyone care to listen/payattention to what I want as opposed to some other shmoe out there? What is my 'plan' anyway?

Well let's skip schedual for the moment, since it's exam season, and the holidays to boot. Anyone that can do art is probably otherwise occupied, and I would want to have a backlog built up before things get posted.

Instead let's talk story. While I'd like to expand on things we don't see (where who does what in the off hours, dealing with a society that can pop across a galaxy at little trouble or expense, corperations at eachother's necks, etc etc. I want to hve atl east some basis in actual game doings, player happenings, those awesome saves you get when the cavelry shows up in an instance you'd been farming solo... only to get half the frikken level's monster population on your neck (then get saved by three or four people that randomly drop in,) the fluidity of guild formation/dispersion/etc, the 'people attack spamming in the Blackstar' being lampshaded a bit in the rough and roudy behavior of priveteers.

As for art style?

Something along the lines of this seems appropriate. Simple, but conveys proper details.
    http://www.phantasystardynasty.com/C...FirstGift.html

Full Disclosure. I'm friends with the guy that does that comic, but he has no real experience with Star Legend, and I'd honestly like someone from this community involved. Don't have any set in stone scripts, wanted to fish for interest before working on anything. Mind you since There really doesn't seem to be much in the background of events (outside of item blurbs and the like) I'm going to use broad strokes when dealing with back history and probably get things wildly wrong if new material comes out. Still. I wanna have some fun with our version of the 41st millinia.

So, what would the community like to see if I can get this bird off the ground? Serious? Funny? Slice of life? Huge archs and complex story? Four Square Comics? Me to shut up and let the idea go?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Yo bro! I totally support this idea! And also i think i can help with that, though i'm 'artless' as well)))

I'm deep into this game - like the sci-fi setting in general and the unpredictable (yet, i believe) storyline of SL itself

Moreover - there were some nights (well, maybe even mornings) when i was fallin off ipad to sleep and started to think of my character's life in a way of a story..

So, my suggestion is i'm starting a blog here, on forums with stories about my main Flashbackflip and his buddies - you guys!!

If you like the stories, i can transfer them to storyboards - i think my basic skill as copywrighter and advanced skill of creative director might help here! Lol

So what do u think? Can we work together, Lazaras?

PS

I would like to expand such themes as:

what is the future out there? Where do we live? Why we need 'Universal Colony' organization?

who are we - the mercs? What is the story behind us? What are our aims and wishes as socium? Who r our heroes?

what is behind each mission pack? Dynostar and Cy-Corp and main powers behind them?

personal stories of players involved in the game etc.
    Last edited by flashbackflip; 12-15-2011 at 11:41 AM.
    click my sig to join

Got a SCAMMER to REPORT? DO it HERE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Personal thought is the galaxy is so wild and varied that you can have lots of 'local' flavors from merc backgrounds that would never show in game, and we're dealing with what amounts to a post-energy crisis ALMOST post scarcity civilization (i say almost because weapons items and the like seem to be made pretty much ad nausium out of thin air, it's the more complicated things (genetic templates, assemblies and the like) that aren't on demand... then again that could be part and parcial with the whole corporate wars business since if it's post scarcity they have no customers unless they moved into pure research and template selling/tech support.)

I know wiki says there's like four races (us, the robots that are pets/helpers/etc), the vular, and whatever race made the Guardian on numa prime.

We know nothing of the vular. Where they come from (except numa prime is 'the wrong end of the galaxy') and what first contact was like.

I /almost/ wanna say earth is overrun... or the UCS isa seperate organization from earth proper. Then again considering it's still calling itself colony I suppose it could just be something along the lines of the fronteer/boonies and this is more or less a formalization. Y'know 'go west young man and find your fortune'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Well, actually, wanna thank you for giving me a push i needed to start))

I think i better start and then we will see what can be produced out of my wrightings.. Maybe it will be a book, not a comix! LOL

Peace bro! Best luck with your idea!
    click my sig to join

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oh Fanfics are easy (it's the motivation that's a problem for me!) However it's easier to grab people's attention with webcomics than with reams and reams of words.

That and i've alays wanted to be part of a comic that isn't made out of sprites.

Edit: I don't mean that to discourage you, or anyone else from writing. By all means. WRITE! It's stimulating and entertaining all on it's own.

I just likes pretty pictures moar.
    Last edited by Lazaras; 12-15-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Lol bro, u already motivated me) check my blog - wrighting it was more fun than runnig all over old lvls while waiting for update.. Also, i've been grabbin people's attention with words since i was 6 y.o. And then made a profession out of it))

I agree the pictures (comics in this case) are more apt, as they would merge game reality with words more efficiently

I wish u luck in finding motivation as suddenly, as i found mine, reading yo post

May the Force be with you
    click my sig to join