Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Regarding: Absence of Guardians of Alterra

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

I don't make any guides since it isn't my forte, but I've shared knowledge on the forums on my high armor anti pally builds for mages, and I try to give everyone cool PL pictures that I work hard on. When Im in game I always keep order in Townes and thoroughly report anyone being innapropriate. I don't have to do any of this; GoA is a thank you not a
    Role.

On to your list W.E, King Richie still plays often as indicated by his hey zap check ins, phys. has a very time demanding job, my guild leader Jaytb is in a weird time zone lol and he's going through real life stuff. He's still on almost everyday, but in the morning or late nights EST. Dawn moved to O&C in the guild I'm in, but I haven't played in months. Logged on earlier and she wasn't on, but still on the roster. I see cowboyjim in game everytime I'm on, and I'm on a game break as I stated in my going away thread, due to school (I'll be more active the 22nd).

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

I think a lack of content has a great deal to do with things. If you look at the time put into the research, guides, and sharing we all have participated in (I have yet to post a "guide", but I can assure you some of my research and thoights have gone into helping to form some), when the content is recycled and we are at a point where skills are maxed and gear is the only true debatable topic, burnout is innevitable. If we look at all that is out there, is there truly anything which has NOT been covered or discussed?

One thing I thought before my selection was that GoA's had more of a "voice". Not necessarily from a management standpoint but from a creativity/suggestion standpoint. It has been mentioned/asked multiple times as to why GoA/AoA/senior members aren't polled or asked for input before new content comes out. I thought this WAS the case until after my selection. I was sadly mistaken. Please understand, I do not want to control the game, but I feel I know what the community wants from my time in game and at all levels, and would think STS would be interested.

Which brings me to my next point. If we DO look at the amount of guides and focus on the suggestion threads (Ellyidol's bear overall threads for example), we never see a response from the devs. Why would someone want to put the time into becoming creative or researching the game when their work is neither acknowledged not discussed by those who CAN make these changes?

Being helpful is more than just guiding new players and making informative posts, it is also having a voice for the community. If that voice is not heard, or we feel it is ignored, then the position loses it's "lusture". I am asked daily to bring something to the devs or if I have heard something from the devs on particular issues. When I tell them that the program doesn't work in this manner, then I get the response "Well why do we have GoA's?"

I will part with that question....
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

GOA started as a wonderful program idea, what I see is that many became active in forums and give away contests to achieve this status and be seen. The program base has been set for those who are in forum more than those that are in game. After being in PL faithful for a long time, I could personaly list several people who deserve this title from their work and dedication in game. The one who help peeps while in charecter, bless peeps with items, gold, mana, health, who help new players in figuring out how to kill bosses, correct foul language ans talk with conversation, befriend the ones who just begin, take people and teach them pvp, the ones who ensure other players have bunny ears, hearts and luck. The ones who do random acts of kindness. These players are the guardians of Altera, these players do not have a goal of a title, these players are the ones who bring enjoyment to the game and encourage others to remain.

On another note I jave seen Ellidoll in game often, many people have so many players that they go unseen but are infact in game, not all choos identicle names, after a few charecters a persons main can only have so many changes in spelling .

In game players such as and without question not limited to:
    Ruselio
    Lucilulu
    Jadedsun
    Fallscreek
    Onemanwarcrew
    Twinkinstein
    ( ill edit this shortley have not had enough coffee to re call names lol)

All of these players mentioned are in the game, they do nit sit for hours on forum to answer questions and make help guides, they are game active, they all give time, gold, items, use plat to assist, they all have multiple lvls of charecters, many climb into lower lvl toons to assist in maps teaching others how to play pl live and in person. Some are in pvp and are examples of good sports and teach others how to pvp to enhanse fun, lets face it loosing in pvp all the time is just not fun. Some of these players have given from 25k to 1 mill away no contests, no hope of fame just to do it, these people have given away millions in items, not just some trash pink but top of the line gear to assist another player. These people have given hours upon hours to pl for no reason other than they love the game and love to help.

In my view players such as this ARE the True Guardians of pl and are examples of people who have morality because they live the way they play.

I am in no way saying people that are in the program are not these things some are, while others just put on a show so sts would reward them.. I know this beyond question, because I have many toons, I have asked several "guardians" while in game questions, simple ones, just to see how they responded, a couple outright called me a noob and where very rude. One I removed from my main account friends list because their behavior was ignorant in town to a new very polite player, whom I befriended and is a sweet person behind the tune, another was so full of himself intown because of his shield he mis informed towns people about what being a guardian was.

I agree with wounded this program should continue but this should not be a popularity contest that is based on forum activity.
    IF YOU BELIEVE YOU WILL ACHIEVE.....
    Just lady..tigerizstar..mivida..ladyhadazza..ladyhadasa

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Nmyspaceship and Zre are players i did not mention and I am sure there are many more...

To all those who help others because that is the heart of who you are a big thanks you are who keeps players in the game, you are what people should be in and out of game.. Full of integrity, honesty, a heart that blesses others, helpers, givers, and most of all you bring true smiles to others laughter and joy. You are an example of Christmas year round the spirit of giving! Never change

On top of Snowpeak Mountain, tweaking stats
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Maybe it's an incentive to remove guardian status from those who are inactive for more then a month or stated that they're having a break from this awesome game? Guardianship comes with responsibilities and you have to devote some of your time to this game. Inactivity doesn't comply. Just my 2 fiat cents

- Max Keiser!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

After all that's happened, I'm quite confident that the status is just a thank you - nothing more. It's like winning a championship or something, it doesn't mean that you have to keep playing the sport for the rest of your life. Some people think its like a Miss Universe win, but that's a competition - your given the choice to join, compete, and win therefore having responsibility.

However, there was no question or form of "contract" when I, or any other, GOA was appointed. I just refreshed the forum, saw the post with my name, and was entitled as a Guardian. No message was sent out informing us about what was expected or about any type of responsibility it would entail, so to me that means this title doesn't carry any type of responsibility with it. If being knighted with the title meant more responsibility, we weren't given the choice whether to accept or not.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Suntv View Post
    Maybe it's an incentive to remove guardian status from those who are inactive for more then a month or stated that they're having a break from this awesome game? Guardianship comes with responsibilities and you have to devote some of your time to this game. Inactivity doesn't comply. Just my 2 fiat cents

- Max Keiser!!
    And those responsibilities are?
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can I join this guild?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lorddeathz View Post
    Can I join this guild?
    This is not a guild being talked about.. This is talking about an honor given to players from sts for their help and assistance in forums and games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

I haven't read all comments, but just wanted to say that I have my reasons why I'm posting less and less on the forums. I'm sure some of you know why that is already, but If you're really interested to know, PM me.

As for the game, everybody has busy periods in their lives when the game has to take a second place. I'm in such a period now. To me, it has nothing to do with boredom, lack of creativity or a plat hungry STS. It's simply prioritizing the short amount of hours there are in each day.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

- Max Keiser!!
    I think STS hasn't in the event some of those players came back.... I think the past is the past, and it should be cleaned up. Thanks for replying everyone!

-we

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

- Max Keiser!!
    It's a THANK YOU not a badge of authority. No guardian has to do a thing, even immediately after getting a shield, if they so wish to they can take their leave for whatever reason they please. I'm tired of people saying we have duties to uphold. Getting the status taken away for innactivity is just insane. There was only one instance that the status was taken away, and it was fully justified. There's no other reason as to why one of us would lose it.

Back to happy red lol
    Last edited by Pandar; 12-17-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: No swearing please :)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRyder For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

I don't think we need more guardians. The guardian program was a reward to players who helped out the community. Ok I know a few people who deserve the title, but the guardians don't have to help people once chosen. It isn't a title that says "come ask me all of your questions, I know the answer" and instead more of a "I was helpful in game and on forums, i am happy to help". This is why I don't think we should have more guardians just because others are leaving, and instead when we think the people deserve it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Matutd For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LADYHADASSA View Post
    GOA started as a wonderful program idea, what I see is that many became active in forums and give away contests to achieve this status and be seen. The program base has been set for those who are in forum more than those that are in game. After being in PL faithful for a long time, I could personaly list several people who deserve this title from their work and dedication in game. The one who help peeps while in charecter, bless peeps with items, gold, mana, health, who help new players in figuring out how to kill bosses, correct foul language ans talk with conversation, befriend the ones who just begin, take people and teach them pvp, the ones who ensure other players have bunny ears, hearts and luck. The ones who do random acts of kindness. These players are the guardians of Altera, these players do not have a goal of a title, these players are the ones who bring enjoyment to the game and encourage others to remain.

On another note I jave seen Ellidoll in game often, many people have so many players that they go unseen but are infact in game, not all choos identicle names, after a few charecters a persons main can only have so many changes in spelling .

In game players such as and without question not limited to:
    Ruselio
    Lucilulu
    Jadedsun
    Fallscreek
    Onemanwarcrew
    Twinkinstein
    ( ill edit this shortley have not had enough coffee to re call names lol)

All of these players mentioned are in the game, they do nit sit for hours on forum to answer questions and make help guides, they are game active, they all give time, gold, items, use plat to assist, they all have multiple lvls of charecters, many climb into lower lvl toons to assist in maps teaching others how to play pl live and in person. Some are in pvp and are examples of good sports and teach others how to pvp to enhanse fun, lets face it loosing in pvp all the time is just not fun. Some of these players have given from 25k to 1 mill away no contests, no hope of fame just to do it, these people have given away millions in items, not just some trash pink but top of the line gear to assist another player. These people have given hours upon hours to pl for no reason other than they love the game and love to help.

In my view players such as this ARE the True Guardians of pl and are examples of people who have morality because they live the way they play.

I am in no way saying people that are in the program are not these things some are, while others just put on a show so sts would reward them.. I know this beyond question, because I have many toons, I have asked several "guardians" while in game questions, simple ones, just to see how they responded, a couple outright called me a noob and where very rude. One I removed from my main account friends list because their behavior was ignorant in town to a new very polite player, whom I befriended and is a sweet person behind the tune, another was so full of himself intown because of his shield he mis informed towns people about what being a guardian was.

I agree with wounded this program should continue but this should not be a popularity contest that is based on forum activity.
    Agreed.
    Hadassa, haven't seen ya on in a while.
    Or Oneman.

Y'all two were hilarious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought goa was more of a rewarding system for players like wounded or appollo who spend a lot of time helping people and playing the game. I don't see why the system needs to be killed because (even though they would still be helpful and friendly without goa) it's like a reward to them.

As I said correct me if I'm wrong, but these are just my few thoughts on the matter...

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Appleisaac For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Appleisaac View Post
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought goa was more of a rewarding system for players like wounded or appollo who spend a lot of time helping people and playing the game. I don't see why the system needs to be killed because (even though they would still be helpful and friendly without goa) it's like a reward to them.

As I said correct me if I'm wrong, but these are just my few thoughts on the matter...
    That's EXACTLY all it is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Woundedeagle... Funny I was thinking the same thing as you yesterday evening. I loved the detail you went into on all the players! I havent seen a player sporting GoA shield in game for ages! I remember the long list of GoA's and I wondered where everyone had gone to. Like others in this thread, for me if I become GoA I would be honoured, and again like others - if it happens, it happens. I actually think its the ultimate goal of pocket legends, to be recognised by the devs and STS (our gods of Alterra) as well recognised, well respected people. IMO - its the ultimate goal.

I wondered if new players actually knew what a GoA shield meant, I bet 9/10 new players will simply ask 'What shield is that?' instead of 'cool shield, as a GoA can you help me?'

I'm going to post a suggestion on GOA in the right area on this, because I think it would improve the game and make it more useful for new players

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Guardian program as it is, but I agree that new Guardians need to be chosen regularly - not to replace the old ones but to add to their ranks. In every game the player base changes over time and some of the players who were the most active in the past will become less active. There is nothing wrong with that, and I think all of us who knew people like Royce and Yanis will always respect them for their contributions to the game even if they took a break from playing. Like others said, being a Guardian is a recognition for past activity and is not the same as being an Ambassador, where you volunteer to be visible and active in game at all times.

Also, a lot of us who play less still read forums and care about this game much more deeply than we would about a game that we just abandoned. I consider myself to be in this category. Just because I won't grind to the cap doesn't mean that I don't care about the game anymore. I discuss it quite frequently with Elly and others on our private guild forum, and I also read the forums here regularly. If it doesn't show it's because I don't feel the need to post in every thread if I don't have something to new to say.
    Kalielle - level 56 mage | Kaley - level 55 roundup bear | Clusterstorm - level 55 rush paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    Clusterstorm? Pshh, he merely leads the fastest games ever.
    Pocket Legends Video Tutorial

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

I think the program should be shut down... The whole thing. Remove all titles and stuff. Unless you (STS) will turn more into GOAs. I think most of the GOAs left because you haven't kept the spirit of the game. Less creativity with game... And more complaints. I liked the game in early 2011. It was fun, everyone was nice and had fun. In the GOA post, it says the status could be removed from GOAs not keeping spirit of the program. I think you are breaking that rule a little. And I also think you are going over the part where it says. A fun free to play game!