Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: GoA Enhancements

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Lightbulb GoA Enhancements

I've made this suggestion because of reading Woundedeagles post on the GoA's
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...ans-of-Alterra

In that thread I mentioned 'I wondered if new players actually knew what a GoA shield meant, I bet 9/10 new players will simply ask 'What shield is that?' instead of 'cool shield, as a GoA can you help me?'

I want to enhance the GoA experience. I want to make it more clear. I want to give a good first impression of the game to new players.

Right now, we have several GoA's but I believe more can be done to improve the GoA experience as percieved by new players.

First idea, would be to create a new tip screen: 'Need help? Look out for a Guardian of Alterra (GOA) who carries a shield' (including a pic of the shield)

Secondly, I think when a player equips the GoA shield, their name colour should change, I'm even thinking either the same colour as the devs (red) or a different colour. I believe this would make them stand out even more. Players who are new may then ask 'Are you a dev?' But GoA's would be trusted and would reply with, 'No I'm a GoA - can I help you?'

Thirdly, I was thinking of two more enhancements. When equipped, player name changes colour. And/or both of the below instances happen:
    1. At the end of your name which hovers above your player, i.e 'Woundedeagle' the extra words display ' - Ask me for help' so it the name above the player would be 'Woundedeagle - ask me for help'
    2. If you tap on the player, on the view player screen you would see a small band along the base of the player screen 'Proud Guardian of Alterra - here to help you' and if you tap it, you would then see a new screen with a page of useful information which could be read about who GoA's are and what they do'

This is just a few simple ideas, I would be so sadto see the GoA be written off, please dont do it STS. Everyone please feel free to suggest anything else I might have missed

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PatsoeGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Great ideas
    I think with these and more improvements, the GoA program would be "revived".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I like these ideas!
    IGN: Mastercon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

I disagree. First of all, GoA/SG is NOT an obligation to help people. That's what AoA are for. The shield/badge are purely for recognition of previous efforts. I know of at least a few well known GoA/SG's who dislike being put on a pedestal, me included, and I feel this change would worsen that effect. AoA are people who volunteered to help others, these changes would be better suited for them.

Time and time again people keep upping the expectations of a GoA/SG, and it's not fair. I help people when I have time, and I enjoy wearing my badge proudly, not to be badgered by everyone, but because I feel I earned it. I've had the fact that I'm a Starguard thrown in my face so many times lately that it actually is discouraging me from writing guides and hosting contests, and even answering PM's from people. Everyone puts so much weight in the status, and seems to forget it's a "thank you" from the devs, not an obligation to field all questions, and certainly not to fend off the hoardes of recently unhappy players.

I'm afraid if something like this were to be implemented, I'd have to respectfully resign as a SG. I prefer to help people and such on my own accord. Being required to do so when wearing the badge makes it feel like a job.

If anyone is looking for to help people in a similar program as AOA in Star Legends, feel free to join Pay it Forward until Ambassadors of Blackstar comes into fruition. It's not a super active guild, but it's well known enough that people know to ask PiF's for help. Let the GoA's and SG's play in peace and help at their own discretion please.

I know this is directed at GoA, and I'm not one, but I fear this idea would make its way to SL if approved by the devs. With all due respect, let the Guardians enjoy the game, and play how they want to play. Ambassadors are the ones who volunteered to help, GoA's and SG's are just players who the devs thought earned a small token of appreciation, not an obligation to deal with everyone for the rest of their SL/PL careers. If a Guardian wants to rep their special token, they should be able to do so without a flashy name and an encouraging message to hound the player with questions and complaints.
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Indeed, Ebalere. GoA was STS's "Thanks for helping the community." I don't think it is right to pin "responsibilities" on the GoA or the Star Gaurdians.

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

What you've stated above is the duty of an AoA character, not a GOA. We've petitioned for shields or a different color name to help us stand out more, since the only recognition we get is by word of mouth. A way to easily stand out would be helpful to our cause.

-------AEO-------

8.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

The Guardians are definitely not the "Helper" group of Alterra - that goes to the AoAs. Though, as I stated on the other thread before, I'm interested to hear your ideas for other things that the GoAs could do. Not necessarily "responsibilities" like the AoA, but fun contests, events, etc that you think would be valuable to the community.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandar View Post
    The Guardians are definitely not the "Helper" group of Alterra - that goes to the AoAs. Though, as I stated on the other thread before, I'm interested to hear your ideas for other things that the GoAs could do. Not necessarily "responsibilities" like the AoA, but fun contests, events, etc that you think would be valuable to the community.
    If the GoA's aren't the helpers, then what does STS classify us as? GoA's have been helping long before AoA's were dreamed of. Please do not take this post as a flame but a legitimate question. I think most would agree that individuals like Royce, Physiologic, King Richie, and others have helped this community WAY more than the AoA's have. (And I say this as an AoA.)
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    If the GoA's aren't the helpers, then what does STS classify us as? GoA's have been helping long before AoA's were dreamed of. Please do not take this post as a flame but a legitimate question. I think most would agree that individuals like Royce, Physiologic, King Richie, and others have helped this community WAY more than the AoA's have. (And I say this as an AoA.)
    Coming from crimson, this is a pretty respected guy and thus, a respected statement. I've played this game from the very start and GoA's have always been the helpers and contributors. I'm starting to be a bit confused :$

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XghostzX View Post
    Coming from crimson, this is a pretty respected guy and thus, a respected statement. I've played this game from the very start and GoA's have always been the helpers and contributors. I'm starting to be a bit confused :$
    Right? GoA's have way more respect then a AoA.

Hate to sound disrespectful, but I see some AoA's who really don't seem that worthy. I don't see a single unworthy GoA.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    The difference is that GoA's naturally help, because that is what we enjoy doing. Personally, if I felt like I ~had~ to help, I would not enjoy it, which is why I was not interested in joining AoA. This is a game after all, and if people are doing something they do not enjoy, then it is not something they should be doing.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Most of the people eho are GOA's atm have been helping simce before GoA's existed. We like to help.

Anyways i think this is a great idea if its for the AOA's. They need to be legitamently backed ad STS's helpers.
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I have major respect for most if not all the GoA's. The other ones are the ones that I haven't had the chance to meet and respect. I do see the GoA program going down a dark road in the near future, but the original GoA's +1, major respect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

The only issue with adding any or "further" responsibility to the GOA program would be the undermining of the AoA program. I'm not taking offense to what's been said as an AoA myself, as really its just a title that STS gave me; I've been doing the same exact thing i've been doing, just with a title now, lol.

If the GOA obtained certain 'responsibilities' then what would become of the AoA program and to all the AoA? Would the AoA also become GOA, I mean, its not like some of them aren't deserving (Siejo, Yvonnel, etc.). I believe the AoA program was a way to relieve stress off of the GOA for constantly being pressured and asked to help the community, even though they naturally already were. By having a sister program such as the AoA, the help base is made larger and more recognizable, something which benefits individual players, STS, and the PL community as a whole.

-------AEO-------

16.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #15
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

GoA and Star Guard are "thank you" recognition from STS for players who go above and beyond. They are in no way obligated to do anything as a result of receiving this recognition.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Samhayne For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    GoA and Star Guard are "thank you" recognition from STS for players who go above and beyond. They are in no way obligated to do anything as a result of receiving this recognition.
    Sam, thank you! I'm saving this thread as a favorite for future reference.