Thread: Quick-to-learn and useful PvP Mage Guide!

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Default Quick-to-learn and useful PvP Mage Guide!

Hey to all of the mages out there!

I get asked a lot on how to PvP with a mage so I thought I might make this!

Backround info: I'm a level 66 pure INT mage. This info is more directed to end game PvP but if you have questions regarding your level, please feel free to PM me or leave a post below.

First, Let's go over each spell, and how it can be useful!

Frostbite: This is definitely a mages favorite spell. Who doesn't love freezing other people? It's important to take advantage of this skill by having roughly more skill points into it for more damage and a longer freeze time. It's used to single out opponents-- however it's quick regeneration time allows players to freeze away! Just keep your distance!

Lightning: Isn't just great being able to conduct electricity? This spell is definitely a mage favorite: it's 3 second regeneration time and damage gives this every reason to invest skill points into it. It also debuffs any opponent within range by deducting there armor by 5! The one thing that all common mistakes happen: make sure you're in range. This is a powerful spell but practice your range!

Heal: Towards end game, this is ideally your most useful spell. Heal clears all debuffs against you and fellow teammates within range. It restores a large proportion of health, so use it to your advantage! Best times to use heal: when you're stunned by a bear, when you're rooted from a bird, or when you're freezed by a mage. Lastly, of course, use it when you're low on health!

Ice Storm: Another freezing spell? Nice! Ice storm is generally over looked upon-- its useful to freeze lots of opponents (especially in PvE). To those looking for the best PvP experience, ice storm should not be focused on until you reach end game. It deals an exceptionally low amount of damage and it's freeze time isn't as long. If you like it though, go for it

Ressurect: This spell is more directed towards PvE and team PvP/CTF. Ressurect only need 1 point invested in. A bonus tip, for you mages out there, is that casting ressurect gives you 1 armor, 1 damage, and 1 extra mana point regeneration (M/S) for 1 minute! This goes for your party as well.

Firestorm: FIRE!!! Fire storm is worth investing lots of points in, especially maxed out towards end game PvP/PvE. It's repulse and damage is very useful. This spell also provides a bonus once you cast it on an opponent that's been freezed (About 15% extra damage!)

Drain Life: This is another mage-favorite. Drain life is worth spending points into especially towards end-game. It deals the most damage out of any spell we have, and takes the opponents health for us to have! (mwuaha) However, its 12 second regeneration time makes this a unique spell-- use it wisely!

Weakness: This spell can be useful at some points. It's not worth investing so many points in to (until you've reached maxed level). Weakness can be useful, but the one flaw the people don't see is that you need to be CLOSE to your opponent. Strength mages generally like this spell. If you're going to use it, make sure you are close (nearly next to your opponent).

Nightmare: This is a special debuff too: like weakness, it can lower any opponents armor that's within range. You must be close (3 meter range) in order to cast this. As weakness, it's not worth investing so many points in to until you've reached max level. Strength mages once again prefer this spell.

Mana shield: This is a very unique spell. Here's the best way to use mana shield: Don't use and invest points into this skill just because it adds more armor (starts at 6 armor and adds 2 armor every skill point invested). This skill is best used to keep you alive longer. Generally, a mage with more mana is able to take advantage of mana shield. When attacked while mana shield is up, your mana will be knocked down. This shield is used to keep your character alive longer-- use it when you need to when your health is low and about to die. Investing 1 point into this is good (until max level).

Blessing of Might: This is a very useful skill but it's best invest 4-6 points to it at around level 50+. BoM is provides a great self buff, but it's always to give teammates that small additional buff too . ALWAYS USE YOUR BLESSINGS BEFORE A FIGHT.

Blessing of Vitality: This buff is the same as BoM: generally best to invest 4-6 points but levels 50+. ALWAYS USE YOUR BLESSING BEFORE A FIGHT. This spell is important to me, it adds 60 armor when maxed out... 60 armor is a lot.

Types of PvP/PvE mages and their uses.

INT Mage: INT mages invest the majority of skill attribute points into intelligence, providing a crazy amount of damage. INT mages (pure mages) are the best AOE damagers in addition. Mages that use staffs with all INT points can generally deal the most damage in game; while mages that (commonly) use wands with bracers can deal lots of damage and have a great amount of armor. INT mages are great for dealing damage, but are very weak when unbuffed. You're also a great team player-- heal your teammates and revive them! **Investing all points into INT provides the most spell damage, investing your attribute points differently will give you different benefits however**

Dex Mages: Dex mages are known for their quick burst of damage. Their range is what separates their advantage from INT mages: kiting. The term Kiting means to stay back at a distance just out of your opponents range of attacks: then attacking your opponent when they have no remaining spells to cast.--dex mages take advantage with this. Unless you know how to kite effectively, dex mage towards end game isn't as always preferred and is also best when fully buffed. They are very "squishy" and can die easily. **it's preferred that a dex mage invests the amount of dexterity needs to equip the gear, then investing the rest of your points into intelligence for damage**

Str mages (pallies/paladins): This is another favorite build people use. Pallies are more of a team player: they're not the best at gathering kills but are great for CTF and staying alive. If a pally is going up against one player, a Pally is great for this. Pallies are more of team players, so use them wisely. **Pallies typically invest the required Strength attribute points needed and the rest into INT for damage** **Dexterity will increase your dodge and hit percent, STR gear generally gives more dodge to a player which is very useful**
    Typically, pallies weaknesses are INT mages.

Procs!

What are procs? Procs come from the weapon that a warrior, bird, or mage uses. Here the different procs:

Swords: These generally provide stuns when struck with, causing you not to be able to move for a short time. These procs are very useful since the range for swords isn't too good!

Bows/talons: Generally provide Stuns as well. Only a few bows however, like the snowball shotguns, provide freeze procs. Procs hit percent on bows are generally very low, since they already have the most attack range and most damage (as well as the most DPS)

Wands/staffs: The most common procs for wands and staffs are armor buffs (-5 armor) and freezing procs.

Types of procs:

Freeze- freezes the opponent when successfully used for a short period of time

Weakness- debuffs the opponents armor (-5 armor)

Stun: Gives players the inability to move for a short amount of time

fire: can be used to add a small bonus of damage after freezing an opponent.

That's about all I have. Now, if you're a mage that has trouble killing certain opponents in PVP- Please, feel free to PM or post below your characters level, attributes, etc. and I can teach you how to be victorious! PvP is one of the reasons why i still play this game; it lets myself be competitive!

Hope I've assisted with anyone that needs some help!
    Last edited by XghostzX; 01-03-2012 at 07:59 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XghostzX For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I have been wanting to try PVP but nervous about just jumping in. This will help me. Thanks!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixer For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pixer View Post
    I have been wanting to try PVP but nervous about just jumping in. This will help me. Thanks!
    Thank you for the first post and hope it turns out fine for you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Nice guide

Just some remarks...

Revive doesn't only give you (and your party) 1m/s, but also 1 armor and 1 dmg, and the duration of that hidden buff is 1 minute instead of 12sec.

Nightmare has a 6m range instead of 3m.

It would be nice to go into detail of what spells you use vs different classes/gear, but I can imagine you might not want to share that

Anyway, it's pretty much spot on, as expected from one of the top mages in the game

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

U should really add about the late mana shield
    Hate mages that do that
    One is too be what once couldn't of been before time let thy be what they could've been, therefore we praise Haxur.
    -Haxur bes 61 mage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Nice guide

Just some remarks...

Revive doesn't only give you (and your party) 1m/s, but also 1 armor and 1 dmg, and the duration of that hidden buff is 1 minute instead of 12sec.

It would be nice to go into detail of what spells you use vs different classes/gear, but I can imagine you might not want to share that

Anyway, it's pretty much spot on, as expected from one of the top mages in the game

Double... actually triple quote that """TOP""".....
    One is too be what once couldn't of been before time let thy be what they could've been, therefore we praise Haxur.
    -Haxur bes 61 mage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Niceeee brah! Gonna use it with my noob-ish 51 mage! Muahahahaha this will make me invincible
    Xazic -- That random warbird.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts

This would help so many players in game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

So thats why the instant death at close range *smack head*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Nice guide

Just some remarks...

Hmm thanks Jaytb! I probably should have updated tests I did long ago, I know for a fact that Revive used to be 12 seconds. Thank you!

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

"there" should be spelled "their"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swimmingstar View Post
    "there" should be spelled "their"
    Haha ok, I made this in like 10 minutes kind of rushed through it. Thanks though^^

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

Nice guide btw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Nice guide i like the run down through each spell
    Thanks