Thread: SL etiquette vs PL etiquette

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Default SL etiquette vs PL etiquette

I recently tried out SL, taking a break from grinding my three PL 65s. One nice practice I found in most SL pvp matches is that there is no expectation that people will "call" the fight; it is presumed FFA unless other arrangements are made. This made for faster gameplay, more kills (and deaths!), and generally more experience since there are more total fights per minute than a normal PL game. It was a refreshing break from the slow style of PL, and a style that furstratingly allows those who care about their K/D ratio to never "call it" when they're presented with a difficult fight.

Since I've only been playing Legends games for a month, I won't argue that PL should adopt a similar presumed rule for pvp matches. But I am curious what the reasoning is, and why folks think that SL has (at least in my experience) reached a different conclusion about pvp rules.

*Less anyone thinks I'm trying to promote SL over PL, I recently posted a thread explaining why SL hasn't--and most likely won't--take my heart from PL: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...from-PL-player
    Montanaguy (16 Warrior) [elite lvl cap: 16; 26; 31] / Montanaman (16 Mage) [16] / Montanadood (16 Rogue) [16]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Montanabro For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Yup. Well take into account that most matches that you join randomly are like that.

Every time you're in a non-locked game, always be ready for a 'rusher' to drop in. If you wish to be more tactical, use a command to talk to your team. Use /team to do so. This is a good command to use before your match starts, or even in FFA or CTF.

Glad you like SL pvp, I'm more of a PL pvper but it's most likely because of the usage of different gear. Also the higher lvls and more skills, but SL pvp is awesome
    http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/javier995/132ba71b.jpg
    When the sky falls, when it crumbles,
    we will stand tall, and face it all together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by javier995 View Post
    Yup. Well take into account that most matches that you join randomly are like that.

Every time you're in a non-locked game, always be ready for a 'rusher' to drop in. If you wish to be more tactical, use a command to talk to your team. Use /team to do so. This is a good command to use before your match starts, or even in FFA or CTF.

Glad you like SL pvp, I'm more of a PL pvper but it's most likely because of the usage of different gear. Also the higher lvls and more skills, but SL pvp is awesome
    Yep, I've learned these lessons the hard way in both games!

Like you identified, attacking without waiting for verbal confirmation is pejoratively called "rushing" only because the PL community has decided it's bad. SL hasnt yet it seems and that's equally valid. I understand PL has a set of unwritten rules though and I follow them when pvping in PL. Still, to me it's a shame because I enjoy PL pvp (and really the whole game) more than SL, sans the rules of engagement in pvp.
    Montanaguy (16 Warrior) [elite lvl cap: 16; 26; 31] / Montanaman (16 Mage) [16] / Montanadood (16 Rogue) [16]

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Montanabro For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Many of us would like to see pl pvp become like this. Many who play sl are people who used to play pl pvp when it was like that so they just brought that style with them. Why pl pvp changed? Idk. I think a few select loud voices of the pl pvp community got too worried about their k/d ratio thus wanting to have pvp more controllable.

In our guild, we now have about 5 top pvp players who changed their name to join our guild or under a different character so they could join us and play that style. Because of the strong opinions that playing that way is "wrong" this is what they resorted to. I completely understand why they did it and never put them down for going under another name. Pvp players give a shiz load of grief to those who want this play style. I figure soon though this style will be adopted as people are realizing it is much more fun and exciting.
    Last edited by Jewelsofjane; 12-29-2011 at 08:44 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jewelsofjane For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I really wish PL pvp was like this. It's so boring to join a pvp game and see 5 other people just sitting around in a circle doing nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsofjane View Post
    Many of us would like to see pl pvp become like this. Many who play sl are people who used to play pl pvp when it was like that so they just brought that style with them. Why pl pvp changed? Idk. I think a few select loud voices of the pl pvp community got too worried about their k/d ratio thus wanting to have pvp more controllable.

In our guild, we now have about 5 top pvp players who changed their name to join our guild or under a different character so they could join us and play that style. Because of the strong opinions that playing that way is "wrong" this is what they resorted to. I completely understand why they did it and never put them down for going under another name. Pvp players give a shiz load of grief to those who want this play style. I figure soon though this style will be adopted as people are realizing it is much more fun and exciting.
    Interesting history. Thanks for sharing.