Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Patch Coming This Week and Changes to Mount Fang Boss Gauntlet

1.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Default Patch Coming This Week and Changes to Mount Fang Boss Gauntlet

We are planning to update Pocket Legends the week of Jan 9 - 13. Among other things, this update will include:
    • Turn off the 2011 Winter Festival (announcement here)
    • Add a player requested 1v1 PvP Map (discussion thread here)
    • A round of bug fixes
    • A new zone added similar to the Mount Fang "Vampire Feast" Boss Gauntlet, but with full loot drop.

I want to elaborate on the addition of a new Boss Gauntlet area to Mount Fang. There has always been some confusion with the Boss Gauntlet areas. Players generally expect the bosses drop all of their loot, however they don't in the current Boss Gauntlets. These gauntlets were intended as quick ways for players to hone their skills for the boss. If you want a chance at the full loot, you need to fight in through the full zone to get to the boss and take them down there. The reality is that the current Boss Gauntlets are very rarely played.

After the patch, the a new Boss Gauntlet will be added to Mount Fang that will be upgraded to give the full loot tables to the bosses. To maintain the rarity of the ep1c lewtz it will use the Premium Access System that was used by the Winter Festival. This gives players an option when farming for loot. They can play for free, as they always have, and do runs of the current zones, fighting in to the boss and taking them down for their loot. Or, you can pay Platinum to access the upgraded Boss Gauntlet and farm there.

In the future, we intend to offer this type of content for all level ranges, from Forest Haven's Boss Gauntlet on up. We will not remove any currently existing Boss Gauntlets, but will instead add new ones for Premium Access.

Spacetime Studios philosophy with premium options is just that – they are optional. All players can play Pocket Legends from level 1 to the elite level cap without paying any real world money. We appreciate and value all of our players, however they choose to play. As always, thank you for your support.
    Last edited by Samhayne; 01-11-2012 at 05:11 PM.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Samhayne For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Sam, could I make a suggestion? Please consider leaving victory lap free to play without changing the drop tables. A lot of people use this map to complete the cyber quests. Also, Bayou Boss Brawl is still played alot and I personally would like to see it remain free as people do still farm there a lot.

Edit: Especially, for us older players. The lower levels weren't free when I started playing. I had to pay for them and they (the boss maps) were included in the purchase price. I don't really care about the others expect for Boss Brawl and VL. I feel you would be taking away something I have already paid for.
    Last edited by wvhills; 01-06-2012 at 02:20 PM.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wvhills For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Looking forward to that 1 vs 1 map

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

6.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robert7204 View Post
    Sam, could I make a suggestion? Please consider leaving victory lap free to play without changing the drop tables. A lot of people use this map to complete the cyber quests. Also, Bayou Boss Brawl is still played alot and I personally would like to see it remain free as people do still farm there a lot.

Edit: Especially, for us older players. The lower levels weren't free when I started playing. I had to pay for them and they (the boss maps) were included in the purchase price. I don't really care about the others expect for Boss Brawl and VL. I feel you would be taking away something I have already paid for.
    Good point, Robert. We can probably create an alternate area for those level ranges to use for Premium access.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Samhayne For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    299 Posts

All i can say is lol
    And u alredy fixd 1h set

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    Good point, Robert. We can probably create an alternate area for those level ranges to use for Premium access.
    Thanks sam!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by robert7204 View Post

Completely agree. If I was forced to be nickle and dimed for levels I already paid for I would file a charge back with my credit card company for the several hundred dollars worth of plat. I paid for something don't even think about trying to charge me for it again. I am getting upset just thinking about it. This whole idea of plat to play a round is crazy. Charge by the month if you want too. I love this game but I will be damned if I am going to be nickle and dimed every time I want to play.

EDIT: I didn't pay for "alternate areas" I paid for the real maps. WTF?!?!?!?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts

Good going! Will this be a patch or just a content update?

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Will this be a 'per use' fee or a one time fee or a subscription option?

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Wait, what, this can't be right???? Are you doing this to just Vampire Fest, or to the other boss levels? Like I actually PAID for Swamps, and you are now saying I have to pay each time I want to enter the boss brawl???????????????

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffNStuff For This Useful Post:

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

I am fine with this being implemented with the Mt. Fang Boss Gauntlet. One reason why noone goes there (like with the Nuri's Boss Gauntlet), is because bosses no longer require real "strategy". They have basically become a "survive and advance" style with no way to strategically control them like the previous campaigns. Not much practice needed to spam pots/heal/rev/skills until the bosses are dead.

Also, what is the issue with the 1h Orlok set. I know mine has the red smoke the other Fang sets have. Is there an issue with the actual bonus?

Thanks for the info Sam.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

This game feels more like a "I can do anything I want for plat" everyday.

Believe me, I'm no MMO buff, but what's the point in legendary items, if you can pretty much get them as a guarantee by paying plat.

The cs will more than likely be flooded with mount fang pinks, thus lowering the rarity and ultimately, the value of items.

I get you have to run a business, but this, IMO, is pushing it.

My solution?
    Get rid of the gauntlets all together.
    Problem solved.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hankomachos For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hankomachos View Post

Believe me, I'm no MMO buff, but what's the point in legendary items, if you can pretty much get them as a guarantee by paying plat.

The cs will more than likely be flooded with mount fang pinks, thus lowering the rarity and ultimately, the value of items.

My solution?
    Problem solved.

So true

Off topic: thanks alot for the help you and matt gave today, much appreciated
    L15 Mage - Certificates. L12 Behr - Certificate. L15 Teamer Mage - Duuq

THE DUUQS WILL RULE.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ninjaduck For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

If this is Pay per use, and it people use it, it will flood the game with Gauntlet pinks, removing the incentive (read: addiction) of farming bosses the regular way. Please, Please, Please reconsider this idea. PLEASE!!!!

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

21. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffNStuff For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

My solution?
    Problem solved.

I believe that the solution needs to involve extra revenue. Getting rid of the gauntlet is the same has leaving them as-is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    If this is Pay per use, and it people use it, it will flood the game with Gauntlet pinks, removing the incentive (read: addiction) of farming bosses the regular way. Please, Please, Please reconsider this idea. PLEASE!!!!
    But I can farm a set! :O

24.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #17
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Hey Hank, thanks for taking the time to voice your opinion and keeping it constructive. I'd like to throw out the alternate viewpoint that a player who doesn't want to purchase Platinum can get everything if they have enough time to farm it. That, like much else in life, is the dividing line. Do you want to spend your time getting it, or do you want to pay to speed up the time investment? To reiterate, this premium option is optional. You can play for free, as you always have, and do runs of the current zones, fighting in to the boss and taking them down for their loot.
    | | | |

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So first I would like to say I love pl. I don't rage on forums and im not about to start. Just want to add my two cents. Back when lvl cap was 50 how many of these areas were already purchased will plat? Im just saying alot of us vets have already paid for this lower level and have fought and earned our way to access them. I agree that sts is a company and ur trying to make money to continue to bring us a great and awesome game. Please do again I love pl and the community. Just seems a lil unfair to have to pay for something we all ready paid for. Please don't flame or get carried away with this post just my option. And last thank you Sam and sts for all your hard work and for a great game.
    Also Sam or flip let's do some pvp. Yeah im calling ya out lol.......just don't kill us to much lol have a great day!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Players generally expect the bosses drop all of their loot, however they don't in the Boss Gauntlets. These gauntlets were intended as quick ways for players to hone their skills for the boss. If you want a chance at the full loot, you need to fight in through the full zone to get to the boss and take them down there.
    If only this were completely true...

Sam, I like this change. Personally I don't like Boss Gauntlets anyway. They make it so the gear becomes trash. Up until the FH revamp, they all DID drop the same loot as their counterparts in the level maps. I recall Cinco saying in chat that he never wanted to make the Bayou Boss Brawl but the players were so vocal that he did, in the end, and still regretted it. Even worse, they responded to whining about Swamps being difficult by first making an easier campaign that had the same loot as the Swamps (with different names), and then by nerfing the Swamps. At that time STS was in learning mode and they were crowd-sourcing by letting the people who post on the boards partly guide their decisions. If they were more hard-nosed, trusted their own judgement, like they are now, these greed zones would never have been made. And now the program is just so huge that map sections have to be recycled in order to create new zones. So I agree that the best way to reduce the excessive pink farming (so excessive that all but one set of pinks is desired and every other drop is called garbage) is to put a price on these zones.

But I would be happier to see them tossed out to make room for the kind of content the designers envision... the kind we see in SL where, incidentally, there are no boss gauntlets.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snakespeare For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Hey Hank, thanks for taking the time to voice your opinion and keeping it constructive. I'd like to throw out the alternate viewpoint that a player who doesn't want to purchase Platinum can get everything if they have enough time to farm it. That, like much else in life, is the dividing line. Do you want to spend your time getting it, or do you want to pay to speed up the time investment? To reiterate, this premium option is optional. You can play for free, as you always have, and do runs of the current zones, fighting in to the boss and taking them down for their loot.
    While technically true that others getting something easier does not diminish what someone gets, that theory is dangerously ignoring the primal reason people play these games, which is addiction. Addiction in this sense is not a bad things, and is a very real part of human nature. Addiction requires two things, a chance at a 'victory' (a high) and also a greater chance at a 'loss' (low). In this case, killing a boss and getting a pink is a high, and not getting a pink is a low. The lows are what drives the highs, as can be seen by the failure of the all pink Shadow Caves. Every roll became a victory, with no chance at a loss, so there were no lows to drive the highs, and people got annoyed.
    Currently in Mt. Fang, there is an excellent balance of highs and lows, but by adding this plat option, you are throwing off the balance for everyone involved by increasing the victories for some, which reduces the over all highs for all players. While 'sell price' and gold are just numbers on a screen, by playing, we have bought into and have contributed to the idea that those numbers have value. All Mt. Fang players want to get a Sanguine Long Bow drop because it has a ~value~ of 3 million gold, and currently are doing runs after runs in order to get that. Why? There is no real reason for it, but our minds put a high value on it, so we become addicted to the idea of having it drop. When the CS starts filling up with the bows, and they become common and drop in 'imaginary' value, that will reduce the highs of farming. Once those highs become diminished, players will slowly stop playing. They might not even know why they stopped playing, they will just feel like the game is not what it used to be, and find reasons to stop, reasons previously blocked by their minds.

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FluffNStuff For This Useful Post: