Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: character naming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default character naming

hi, I have a few feedback on this topic. hope you can seriously consider it, thanks.

on character naming, I feel that it shouldnt be used as an unique identifier (like an unique key in a database table). can use the email address, or an internally generated number as the unique identifier.

reason being that few of us can have a decent name for our characters. the player community has grown a lot since day 1 and the random naming generator throws out names that I can't even begin to pronounce. and I bet most players don't bother with that generator.

do allow for different players over different accounts to have identical names. it shouldn't confuse the system nor the game. look at the real world at large, there are throngs of people with same names but it doesn't affect our registration, our driver's licenses, etc. this is because the society knows it is impractical to impose a system where everone's name is unique.

lastly, do allow for names with numbers and spaces, and common special characters like hyphens, thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

I like the numbers and stuff idea, but having the same name? No thanks. That means someone van impersonate you, it wouldn't be hard for them to do it if hey really wanted to. Also a lot of people have unique names, that idea would mean someone can just take that name and use it like they made it. Thats why i don't like the same name idea, could just lead to drama which is probably you can't have the same username in just about anything that tells you to pick a username.
    http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/javier995/132ba71b.jpg
    When the sky falls, when it crumbles,
    we will stand tall, and face it all together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default re: impersonation

I understand the impersonation part. but this can easily be addressed when your unique id (be it an email address or computer generated number) be displayed during trading and on other information screens.

the game has a lot of nice customizations for your character like skill builds, faces, gear, etc but their highly constrained pool of names makes character naming a task more demanding and frustrating than it is suppose to warrant. people want to spend time to play the game, customize their character, not trying every name they like and get the rejection message and have to append words or characters or 'x's before or after their intended names in their attempts to make it accepted by the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts

I have characters in pl which have nearly the same name javier. All my chars start with skeleton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default re: skeleton prefix

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletonlord View Post
    I have characters in pl which have nearly the same name javier. All my chars start with skeleton
    that's what I'm saying with regard to naming prefixes or suffixes in order to make the name accepted by the system. I'm not saying it is not a smart way of naming by adding prefixes or suffixes. I'm just saying it should be a simple process, requiring less than a minute, and not complicated by other considerations such as your name already being taken up.

imagine this. you are just born and your parents want to name you so and so, a very nice name that your parents have spent much time before finalizing, only to hear the registration nurse tell you - I'm sorry, that name is already taken ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yfwong:534878
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletnlord View Post
    that's what I'm saying with regard to naming prefixes or suffixes in order to make the name accepted by the system. I'm not saying it is not a smart way of naming by adding prefixes or suffixes. I'm just saying it should be a simple process, requiring less than a minute, and not complicated by other considerations such as your name already being taken up.

imagine this. you are just born and your parents want to name you so and so, a very nice name that your parents have spent much time before finalizing, only to hear the registration nurse tell you - I'm sorry, that name is already taken ...
    that actually made me lol! Hm maybe all existing characters in game can get a little picture by their name (similar to guild tag) ?
    Kaytar

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaytar For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

No i get what your saying, just still don't like the idea. If you can choose the same name as someone else, you'll probably be able to choose the same numbers it whatever addition you want to tell me. You think there isn't lots of Javiers that play STS games? There is, yet the simple way to get around it is adding your own kick to the name. Like me, i added my last name to it. I highly doubt there are many people who play PL with my exact names therefore mine won't be much of a problem.

You don't have to have some cool name like eliteblahblahblah or anything along those lines. Pick a simple name you'd like people to call you, this way you won't be taking someone else's name. Its not that hard to add something to a name (that's taken) to make it your own. Therefore this idea isn't really needed, but there is still ways people can impersonate someone else. A simple switch of two letters or even an m with an n or something.

Adding something personal to say that its you, like your email, is not really (how should i say this) smart. If it did say your email to identify you, don't you think it'd have to be the email you made the account on? That being said, it'd be easier for someone to hack you.

The baby thing, not the best example. If you could've gave me a better example maybe i would see your point, but saying that just made me laugh. That just means they can do what everyone else (that has their name taken in anything) and add a little something to it.

Like i said, the numbers isn't a bad idea. The bad idea is having identical names. Look at what you said tho, you want identical names but you want something to make you stand out, like the email part you suggested. That wouldn't be identical, it'd still be different to an extent.

@Skeleton That's nice that you have skeleton in all your names, a lot of people do too bud. Including myself, but look at the OP that's not the point. Skeleton is just one part, i can go make something like Skeletonjavier or something and it would identify me. Lots of names are common, but that's why people add their own kick to it.
    Last edited by javier995; 01-09-2012 at 02:24 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to javier995 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, apparently you are not into IT. when I mentioned computer generated id, think of it like your identification card number. it's one of its kind, assigned by the system when you create your character, not created by you. you just create whatever name you like. there can be 2 Pauls doing trading and the trading screen would display their unique identity number, email address perhaps and/or photo tag as brought up by kaytar (maybe like facebook). there will be no mistaking the 2 Pauls. if you want your character to be named Merlin, or LOTR's Aaragon, you will never have to face the rejection message just because you are not the first person to name his/her character so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

I'm with Javier on this one. Having people with same display names, and only a unique identifier when in trade or checking out their avatar page would lead to confusion IMO. If someone is being extremely rude in public chat, people are not going to always check out or even remember that unique ID. If someone starts to scam or starts to be rude with a specific name, other innocent people, with the same name, would be frowned upon. The names ARE the unique identifiers in the game and should stay that way IMO.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

imagine my character naming experience:

choose bear: 1 second
    choose face: 3 seconds, 1 for each face option
    choose color of attire: 3 seconds, 1 for each color

then the dreaded naming
    (try bear)
    attempt #1: angrybird - taken
    attempt #2: angrybear - taken
    attempt #3: poothebear - taken
    (try LOTR)
    attempt #4: Aaragon - taken
    attempt #5: Gandalf - taken
    attempt #6: Legolas - taken
    attempt #7: Frodo - taken
    attempt #8: Arwen - taken
    (not giving up on Aaragon)
    attempt #9: KingAaragon - taken
    attempt #10: WarriorAaragon - taken
    attempt #11: LegendaryAaragon - too long
    attempt #12: UglyAaragon
    ... you pause for a second
    ... you know grand sounding names are all taken up
    ... such names will prob go thru
    ... to change it in the future will cost you 50 platinum!
    attempt #12 aborted. start from scratch
    5 minutes of your life wasted.
    just to get a name for your fictitious character in the pocket legend server.

just highlighting the absurdity of some of life's frustrations ..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yfwong View Post
    imagine my character naming experience:

choose bear: 1 second
    choose face: 3 seconds, 1 for each face option
    choose color of attire: 3 seconds, 1 for each color

then the dreaded naming
    (try bear)
    attempt #1: angrybird - taken
    attempt #2: angrybear - taken
    attempt #3: poothebear - taken
    (try LOTR)
    attempt #4: Aaragon - taken
    attempt #5: Gandalf - taken
    attempt #6: Legolas - taken
    attempt #7: Frodo - taken
    attempt #8: Arwen - taken
    (not giving up on Aaragon)
    attempt #9: KingAaragon - taken
    attempt #10: WarriorAaragon - taken
    attempt #11: LegendaryAaragon - too long
    attempt #12: UglyAaragon
    ... you pause for a second
    ... you know grand sounding names are all taken up
    ... such names will prob go thru
    ... to change it in the future will cost you 50 platinum!
    attempt #12 aborted. start from scratch
    5 minutes of your life wasted.
    just to get a name for your fictitious character in the pocket legend server.

just highlighting the absurdity of some of life's frustrations ..
    Is 5 minutes really too much to come up with a unique name for a char you're going to be playing for months, if not years?

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB:534920
    I'm with Javier on this one. Having people with same display names, and only a unique identifier when in trade or checking out their avatar page would lead to confusion IMO. If someone is being extremely rude in public chat, people are not going to always check out or even remember that unique ID. If someone starts to scam or starts to be rude with a specific name, other innocent people, with the same name, would be frowned upon. The names ARE the unique identifiers in the game and should stay that way IMO.
    Exactly.

I think i said it about idk too lazy to check, but Jay gives a good example about the confusion i said earlier (i think again too lazy to check ).

Facebook? Pictures? Emails?

Pictures
    I highly doubt that anyone would use these, some people like to keep their identify a secret. Hence why not all (probably not many) forum members have a picture of themselves.

Emails
    Emails, just leads to hacking like i said earlier. Whenever you log in it says not to give out your email, but it your idea would say to use your email for an identifier? Ah, don't think so bud too high of a chance to be hacked.

Facebook
    On Facebook even, it says to give an email right? Lots of people hack Facebook accounts easily, once its hacked they can see what email you used and they can hack you that way. That'd be assuming that you used the same email, but hey if your game account and Facebook account use are linked it'll most likely be a shared email between the two.

You're right tho, I'm not into this part of the idea BC i don't like it like i said. But hey that's just my $0.02.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    I understand your feedback. not saying that the alternative is fantastic. just trying to suggest something to ease the headache of coming up with names. btw, there are buttons when you look at another's profile where you can report that other person, so confusion between characters of the same name is quite minimal and unlikely.

I guess too many mmorpg that uses names as unique id and people getting used to it as a result, until you are on the receiving end of the character naming process. I'm just hoping there are creative alternatives to overcome this issue!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Is 5 minutes really too much to come up with a unique name for a char you're going to be playing for months, if not years?
    that 5 minute was for an unsuccessful attempt. on average, I spend 15 minutes or more. should I be comparing that effort vs the lifespan of my character, or should I just agree with the fact that character naming is not well designed? I would rather spend that 15 minutes on the game itself, if you understand my point.

ps: maybe I come from non mmorpg background. in the days of diablo2, battle.net, I could create a new character within half a minute, and within half an hour, I would be fully immersed in the made up world of diablo2. now, I spend that time trying to "outwit" the system via a trial & error approach to get my name validated and accepted.
    Last edited by yfwong; 01-09-2012 at 03:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by javier995 View Post
    Exactly.

I think i said it about idk too lazy to check, but Jay gives a good example about the confusion i said earlier (i think again too lazy to check ).

Facebook? Pictures? Emails?

Pictures
    I highly doubt that anyone would use these, some people like to keep their identify a secret. Hence why not all (probably not many) forum members have a picture of themselves.

Emails
    Emails, just leads to hacking like i said earlier. Whenever you log in it says not to give out your email, but it your idea would say to use your email for an identifier? Ah, don't think so bud too high of a chance to be hacked.

Facebook
    On Facebook even, it says to give an email right? Lots of people hack Facebook accounts easily, once its hacked they can see what email you used and they can hack you that way. That'd be assuming that you used the same email, but hey if your game account and Facebook account use are linked it'll most likely be a shared email between the two.

You're right tho, I'm not into this part of the idea BC i don't like it like i said. But hey that's just my $0.02.

hey, your rebuttals are valid but don't just come up with rebuttals. top it up with some creative suggestions too.

on Facebook photos, people thought that such a concept wouldn't work out but look at the popularity of Facebook today vs yester year. on emails, not saying it is fool proof but it is a valid alternative. if someone is intent on hacking your account, they will hack it open regardless of what measures you put into it. think ATM and other scams in real life. nothing is fool proof in life.

anyway, the whole point of this thread is not abt taking up my recommendations but to hope to find a feasible alternative. if we can find one and successfully petition for it to be implemented, all of us benefit too right? peace.
    Last edited by yfwong; 01-09-2012 at 03:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yfwong:534938

hey, your rebuttals are valid but don't just come up with rebuttals. top it up with some creative suggestions too.

on Facebook photos, people thought that such a concept wouldn't work out but look at the popularity of Facebook today vs yester year. on emails, not saying it is fool proof but it is a valid alternative. if someone is intent on hacking your account, they will hack it open regardless of what measures you put into it. think ATM and other scams in real life. nothing is fool proof in life.

anyway, the whole point of this thread is not abt taking up my recommendations but to hope to find a feasible alternative. if we can find one and successfully petition for it to be implemented, all of us benefit too right? peace.

Creative suggestions on what? Something i don't like? Lol

My 'creative' suggestions where given above. Make the name unique and add your own thing to it.

I'm not saying Facebook was something foolish, you misunderstood. Look at what i said again

I stand by my statements which i made above. There is no IDing really needed, like Jay said it can still cause drama. And yada yada blah blah blah, all my points are in the post you quoted.

If this is the feasible alternative that you have in mind, you can already see some wouldn't like it by our comments. Also if it was implemented, don't you think that lots of people who already picked their name would be disappointed? It costs 50 plat to change your name. Also to be fair, the devs would have to clear all the names on the database don't you think? Another reason why it wouldn't be added.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by javier995 View Post
    Creative suggestions on what? Something i don't like? Lol
    lol. What I meant was creative suggestions to allow us to come up with ways to have a higher acceptance rate for our character naming process - like adding creative prefixes, while spending less time getting stuck in that naming process. not asking you to come up with creative ways of id-ing, lol.

thanks for all the contribution of views so far. not easy when so many views are involved. can't please everyone, so I do not exactly envy the developers now

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

What about having the sysyem automatically delete the names on accounts that have been inactive for X amount of time?? I bet there are thousands of names sitting out there collecting dust. Once the system felted those accounts, any name associated with that account would be feed up to be used by a new player.
    Zheobird Level 71 Full Dex
    Zheomage Level 71 Full Int
    ZheobearLevel 71 Dual Dex

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ZHEOTARE For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

I say the naminh system works fine, if no normal name is available, make up a fantasy name, and make it a legend name

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Arterra is a name I practically made up in 20 seconds of thinking "what sounds... fantasy related?"

it is now my favorite username. (i have several xD)

as for the number system... why do you think multiplayer nintendo games have yet to really catch on?
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...