Thread: Google+ Chat for STS Community, All are Welcome!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Default Google+ Chat for STS Community, All (18+) are Welcome!

UPDATE:
    Google+ is 18 and older at the moment (sorry young in's) but will hopefully be 13 and up soon enough. Everyone is expected to abide by Google's TOS. Feel free to join the STS chat community from you existing Gmail, or if you would like, you can join from new one. Read features below so you know how to make your account as private as you like, or make a separate Gmail account to link to G+ app. You can add me or any others that have links provided to get added to the STS chat.

I've been working on this for a while now, and I'm glad to have the OK from the Sam to post this. Just to let you devs know, you're include in the "All are Welcome" part of the thread title too. I use G+ plus on my iPod/iPad to be able to communicate with my guild. It's great to be able to get business stuff done quickly, but even better is the random chats we have throughout the day. I can honestly say that I'm closer with my guildies because of it, and that's why I wanted to spread this around the entire STS community. This thread should tell you everything you need to know about setting it up and how you can add me to get an invite to the chat. I'l be setting the chat up tomorrow after I get home from work, which may not be until around 8 or 9pm (im in GMT -5:00, east coast US).

Here is a list of all my current guildies that will be participating in it as of now and their G+ names:
    - Azibas (Azibas Infinite Union)
    - Deathpunch (Deathpunch IU Lead Officer)
    - Ebalere (Kyle Ebalere)
    - Eyeofnewt (LelouchX IU Co-Founder) G+ Profile Link
    - Killaings (Ingrid Co Guild Master)
    - Kwadius (Kwadius IU DarthKwadius)
    - Kylghan (Kylghan IU)
    - Mayhem (To Be Determined)
    - Shovelheadhd (Shovelheadhd IU) G+ Profile Link
    - Trixie (To Be Determined)
    - Kateatankan (Kateatankan Officer in IU)

**Note: the messenger feature is only available on the app (phones, idevices, tablets, etc), not through the website. The messenger feature is what we use to communiicate 99.99% of the times**

**Note: screenies taken here are from my iPad. There may be slight differences on other operating systems, so if anyone notices them, feel free to post them in a reply and i can add them to the original post**

**Note: If you use a mobile device for this, you will be asked how you want the app to send/recieve data. If you don't get unlimited data on your phone plan, I suggest selecting the "Wifi Only" option.

I'm pretty sure it isn't a problem setting up the G+ account. You can use your gmail or other email to do it. The troubling part seems to be setting it up on your device and finding people.

When you open the app and log in, you will see the Home screen:

The "stream" is the same as the stream you can access on the G+ website (it's like the facebook stream really). I'm not going into too much detail with it because it isn't our primary mode of communication on G+. In the "photos" section, you can see photos of other people in your circles (i'll get to circles) and upload your own photos. The "profile" button only allows you to view your profile, it needs to be edited from the website as far as i can tell. "Messenger" is what we use constantly.

Lets focus on adding someone to a circle first. This is one of those things i use the computer for. The search fuction is a major fail on google's part, and you will have trouble finiding anyone whether you search by name or email address. You probably have a better chance of finding me by typing in my favorite color to be honest. To make it easy, you can CLICK HERE to be brought directly to my profile page. The page you get will look something like this:

**Thanks for giving me permission to use this picture Shon**
    After you click the red "Add to circles" icon, you will get a dropdown of all your circles. Mark to box to put the person in one. I guess shon is ok, i'll add him to my IU..... for now, mwah haa haa haa haaaaa

after this, you shouldn't need the computer for anything else regarding the messenger feature. when you add someone to any of your circles, they will get an email. they can add you back and then invite you to chat. In order to edit your profile you will need the computer. It's not really that necessary tho. I'll go into the profile details soon. *Note* If you add someone to a circle from your computer, they will show up in your circles on your phone/wifi device as well.

This comes directly from the STS forum rules and should also be used with anyone who chooses to use G+ in this way:
    "4. Never reveal your personal information.

The best way to stay safe online is to NEVER share your real name, phone number, address, email or passwords. Please do not disclose your, or anyone else’s, private information."

Now i will go into MY privacy rant:
    Privacy is extremely important, so before adding me to your circle, i want to go into details on how to make sure only the information you want to be available is displayed. I can stress how important your (and my) privacy is, but it's up to each individual to take the steps to be exclude or reveal different information. G+ will automatically display the name on your Gmail account, since that is how it links to G+. This can be edited, and here is how to do it:
    After you set up G+, log into your account from the computer and then click the profile tab (picture on left below). After that, click the edit profile button on the right side of your browser screen (picture on right below).

So now that you are on the profile screen, you can click whatever name it displays for you:

You will be brought to this next screen:

Personally, i'm not concerned with anyone knowing my first name, but *DO NOT USE YOUR REAL LAST NAME* I used "IU" to represent my guild, <Infinite Union> but feel free to do as you like. One suggestion is to use the name of your primary toon from SL as your first name, and your guild name as your last. Also take not that if you do link your gmail account to the G+ messenger, whenever you send an email, the receiver will see whatever name you typed in here. You can see from my sreenies that my name is Sandy, but I just made an account so I could go by my forum name without out getting weird responses like "why did the email I get from you say lelouchx as the sender" from my boss.
    While you are on the "edit profile" page, there is still more to do. You can add some a little detail about yourself if you so choose, or nothing really, but any you share should be general. So if you click "introduction", you can put some info about yourself. Here is mine. Again, keep it general, never give out too much information about yourself to people you don't know.

By default, whatever you put will be shared with "Anyone on the web" (it says custom in this pic above). So click where it says "Anyone on the web" and select custom. Now click where it says "add circles or people to share with" and select who you want to share it with. Right now, I i only have it set to share with my guild mates, so i checked off the "IU" box.

Now it will look like this:

Click save and you are all set.
    You can follow these steps in any of the subjects in the profile section to only share what you feel comfortable sharing.
    *Note - when you look at somebody's profile from the app, you will only see certain profile sections, one being the "introduction." So if you want to post your in game names, do it here*

After doing this, nobody can find out your real name. You can set up whether or not people can send you messages (applies to website messages, not the messenger feature on the phone/device app) or emails from the "edit profile page as well. Google will not share your email if u allow emails to be sent to you, but i disable both of these features anyway (I've also tested this, an email comes from google with the profile name of the user who sent it. So if i send an email to one of my co-GMs, lets say ebalere, he would get an email from google saying that "Sandy IU" has sent him the following email). So, below your name and profile pic (if you chose one), you will see these two boxes, and can click them to set up wheter of not you will receive emails and messages.

When you click either one, you will see option windows show up looking like these:

As long as they stay unchecked, nobody can send you emails/messages.

When you are done picking and choosing what to share and what not to, go back to the top of the browser screen and click "done editing"

There will be more to come about the messenger and other features i am familiar with when I get the time. This much will at least get you into chats and make sure you know how to only share the information you want to. I'm in the process of setting up a random STS community chat, so if you want to take part in a hopefully massive SL/PL chat, add me! We do a lot of random chatting about just about anything, and if this catches on like I'm hoping, many different specific chats can be set up (random chat, merchant, class discussions, etc). Think of it as a chat box for your phone, that you can access from the bus, while on a break at work, etc. Any name I see that has added me I will throw in my circle and invite you to the chat, and feel free to respond here with any suggestions you think could improve this or if you are interested in having any specific chats set up.
    Last edited by LelouchX; 01-17-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: 18+, Google TOS Link added, Keep your private info private!
    <Infinite Union> Eyeofnewt Engi - Eyesssniper Op - LelouchX Com ~ GinFiend
    *G+ Chat For STS Community**Newt's Engi Build*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

*reserved for edit*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

*reserved*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

*1 more*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

i think this was an excellent idea we do use google chat alot it would be nice to have convos with more people in sl. especially since i dont use the forums as much as i should.
    Kateatankan-Officer in Infinite Union

I MAY BE A RAGING FANGIRL BUT IM PROUD OF IT!!!!!!!! :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Oh we had fun on G+ back in the day! Glad your making this public bro, its a great idea! +1 from me
    L15 Mage - Certificates. L12 Behr - Certificate. L15 Teamer Mage - Duuq

THE DUUQS WILL RULE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

thanks guys, i'll be posting here as soon as it's up tonight, my new G+ account page that i set up for this purpose is linked in the description, here it is again for those that know how to use it already:

https://plus.google.com/u/2/105359912222714182592/posts

anyone feel free to add, no last names or I won't accept

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

I couldn't imagine all the fun we have in our guild with out G+ at the beginning I was like "no way man" now I'm like "what did I do before G+" Thanks Newty for getting us started on this....and just FYI for all.....They like to say "G+ is Killa easy" that means anyone can do it....lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Good Post LelouchX! I sure makes it easier to keep track if your guildies are going to be online and if there are any cool things happening in game so we know to get in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I <3 infinite union!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Ok, chat is live! feel free to add me to get in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    351 Posts

Hello pls add me to the list, my first name is "Mitchturbo" and my last name is "TDS" (The Dead Society)

"Still Retired but casually dueling in PvP from Time to Time"
    EXTREME BOSS SLAYERS Are Back!
    Wanting a signature? Send me a Pm (SL credits only)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

*Removed*

Kenzor L16 Warrior | Proud
    Voii L16 Rogue | Officer
    Kenzzor L15 Sorcerer | of Vengeance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

OP updated to include Google TOS; all are expected to abide by them. Google+ is 18+ only for now. Nobody will be restricted from STS community chat due to the how your account is named (but keep your private info private, see OP for detailed instructions).

Thanks to all those participating, hope to see some more of ya soon!