Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: No More Man Rules :(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Default No More Man Rules :(

Hello all:

Unfortunately, the developers and administrators have decided that Man Rules are inappropriate for this forum, as there are women and children who peruse through the various posts that make up this forum. And so, there will be no more Man Rules of the Week.

And, of course, as a guest on the forum, you have to abide by its rules. It is a shame, as I had 51 other man rules. But, it's all good.

I do have a question, as my wife and son both read these man rules, and they did not see anything sexist or offensive about them. What was it that caused the topic to be locked? What did I write that was offensive to people?

I'm not writing this to be argumentative, but out of curiosity. All kidding aside, I didn't see anything offensive about rules for peeing in a urinal. If one of the admins or developers can share some insight, that would be greatly appreciated.

I looked at the Forum Rules, and examined all 15 of them. I don't see how any of them were violated.

If any of the admins or developers can shed light on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Bronxman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

I think it's because of the way the first thread derailed into "manwhores" conversation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Ah well, no worries. It's all good.

But that leads to another question - what if somebody creates a post, and other people violate the rules? So that, the original post is not in violation of the rules, but rather the responses to the post? If anything, shouldn't the responses be edited or deleted, as opposed to the post itself being locked?

I still don't see anywhere in the Forum Rules where my post violated any of them. If anyone can point out where there was a violation, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Default .

I can tell you, from having broken the rules quite a few times with my sometimes controversial posts, that it is indeed usually a 2nd party that causes a thread to be locked. Often times, conversations derail from being funny jokes to inappropriate or obscenely looked at.
    Last edited by adidaman; 01-23-2012 at 02:17 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to adidaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

I Just waited for that one lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Default .

Quote Originally Posted by plmafiaboss View Post
    I Just waited for that one lol
    I'm slowly coming to realize the fact that no matter how much I want to deny it, I am a troll indeed. To quote lady gaga "I was born that way" and I plan on being the best dang troll I can be

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

adidaman, I don't think you are a troll. A troll is someone who offers nothing creative and merely posts to flame others. You're much better than that. Never put yourself down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Default .

Thanks bud!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

lol can you fast forward to week 51 and post em all haha
    keep going thats just one thread that got locked maybe the next one wont get derailed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

No problem, dude. That is another man rule.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

In my opinion, not criticizing anyone in particular, I feel that "Man Rules" are insulting. Just look at the first one that implies you are less of a man for bathing instead of taking a shower.

In truth, showers only exist in first world countries. They are a waste of energy with heating the water and a waste of a natural resource that is precious in arid lands. People bathed all through the supposedly Dark Ages, but showers only came about after the industrial revolution.

The person who wrote the man rules you were quoting was an American. His values are based on the belief that it is OK to waste resources because they were given to us to waste. What would he have written if he were raised in India? In India, they bathe in the river, for instance, and consider it a luxury to bathe in private. Only the wealthy hotels have showers, and even these CUT OUT AFTER 5 MINUTES!. So how does this Man Rule come off for them?

Again, not targetting the OP in particular, just commenting on the callousness of the assumption that all people who read this have access to the resources necessary to shower, instead of bather, and the implication that only residents of wealthy, wasteful cultures are more manly than those who can only clean themselves in a river or tub.
    Last edited by Snakespeare; 01-23-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

I would be happy to subscribe to your weekly lesson via PM!!! hahaha!!!

Yes - I think we diagnosed this correctly. I don't think there was much wrong with the original posts (both last week and this week), certainly tamer than prime time television in terms of suggestive content!! (right??) Anyway, the topic itself does leave the door wide open for conversation degradation... I can understand this, but also agree, you didn't specifically violate any rules. They just want to keep it as shiny clean as possible, I reckon!!

Thanks for the effort! (I'll be waiting for my personal subscription!)

MimeRifle-Comm/40 | Radaroreilly-Eng/40
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." G.B. Shaw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Default .

^^^ And that my friends, is a realist point of view.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

Reason it got locked you'll find out by one way as said in rules of forum.

6. Private communication between Spacetime Studios members, staff and forum users is not to be made public on these forums or by any other venue. Please keep private conversations private. You are not permitted to publicize any private correspondence without permission. As such, warnings and bans are not to be discussed on the forum. Such matters shall remain private between Spacetime Studios and the user. Questions or comments concerning warnings and bans will be conveyed through e-mail or private messaging. Likewise, discussions regarding moderator actions are not permitted on the forum. If you have questions regarding a post or thread that has been removed or subject to other moderation, please contact a moderator to discuss it.
    Pocket legends: Eagle (Endgame Bird), Magic (endgame mage), Getnuked (voodoo mage)
    Star legends: Eng (Engineer), Rapid (operative)
    Dark legends: Sucker (vampire queen)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Snakespeare writes:

"In my opinion, not criticizing anyone in particular, I feel that "Man Rules" are insulting. Just look at the first one that implies you are less of a man for bathing instead of taking a shower."

I was not implying that at all. I was stating it, as fact. Real men do not take baths. And this is a moot point because you don't take baths.

Also, the India angle is stereotypical. I've been to India, and I don't recall seeing people bathing in rivers. Last year, I taught a course in Bangalore, and stayed in a hotel, where yes, there was a shower. You should stop watching Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom as your historical reference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Does it really matter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Darkfader writes:

"Please keep private conversations private. You are not permitted to publicize any private correspondence without permission. As such, warnings and bans are not to be discussed on the forum. Such matters shall remain private between Spacetime Studios and the user. Questions or comments concerning warnings and bans will be conveyed through e-mail or private messaging. Likewise, discussions regarding moderator actions are not permitted on the forum. If you have questions regarding a post or thread that has been removed or subject to other moderation, please contact a moderator to discuss it."

I agree with this 100%. However, here is what I wrote:

"Unfortunately, the developers and administrators have decided that Man Rules are inappropriate for this forum, as there are women and children who peruse through the various posts that make up this forum. And so, there will be no more Man Rules of the Week."

I never said that they contacted me with this information, merely that this was decided. I wrote this based on the previous post being locked, and the reason for this being that women and children may feel that to be inappropriate. Have the admins and devs contacted me? Yep, but there was nothing concerning a ban or warning. Thus, I have not violated any rules.

All kidding aside, if what I wrote offended anyone, I apologize. After all, manning up and apologizing is part of man rules.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

I for one would have loved to see man rules from another culture. Yes this was biased because of the culture of the OP but it would have been a great venue to see what other cultures would have to offer in terms on "manliness".

I guess this is just no meant to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

How cool would that be? We could have an International Council of Man Rules (ICMR), and come up with a glbal list of such rules. That way, if you are a man traveling overseas, you could know what you have to do immediately.

You know what is funny? You would have thought that women would have been offended by man rules. On the contrary, they thought the rules were hilarious. It's a funny world.

By the way, unless a guy messes with your family, money, house, or property, you NEVER, EVER bash him. Doing so is in violation of man rules.