Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok I need help. So im actually asking PL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Exercise at least 4 times per week helps a lot with the Insomnia.

Depression used to bother me when I was younger because people seem the think that everyone is supposed to be happy all the time. So, it would seem that not being happy is a bad thing. At some point, i decided that not being happy was fine, and in fact it made sad music sound better.

If I don't want to be sad, there are many things I could do about it. For example, helping other people seems to help, because I think a lot of sadness comes from too much self-focus, and helping others changes my thinking. It might be something little like helping a friend wash his car, or just go for a walk in a park and pick up trash along the way so I feel like I'm helping out.

Also, not having any hope for the future can be problematic. People need hope that they will have a good future. When I was younger I became a Christian, and that erased all lack of hope issues I may have had.

I never took any meds; fortunately it wasn't popular to drug kids when I was young. Otherwise, I sure my mom would have kept me drugged. That would have been a bad thing.

Like I said, depression just makes sad music sound better. So, I view depression as a good opportunity to listen to music. And, I ride my mountain bike a lot, so I sleep like a log. But, if I don't exercise for a long period of time (like it rains for weeks), then I end up watching TV until late at night because I'm not tired.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Leli, to begin with, don't believe everything you think. For instance, the idea that it would be a relief to other people if you disappeared is a thought you probably have at times. It's not true. Those other people may seem to be burdened with helping you through this, but to not have you at all would crush them. This is the most important thing to remember. If you disappeared (you know what I mean) it would hurt them more than you want to ever hurt anyone.

The way out of this hole is to focus on other people. If you think about the idea, it will become clear. All those other people around you are in their own kind of pain, too. You know what pain is. That means that you can help them. This is a trick I had to learn, that goodness doesn't happen by itself, we have to make goodness and spread it around. Then it will work its way back to us.

I know you can't feel much right now, but when you do have feelings they are very icky. This is partly chemical. It is NOT at all a defect in your head. A candy bar can make you spike one way then the other. As you mature, the hormones in your body change and your body is adjusting to the change and it feels icky. These are not the real you! It's body chemicals. What the doctors are trying to do is balance things out, and it sounds like they have not succeeded. So you have to work with them to find the balance.

The food you eat should be documented. For a few days write down everything you eat or drink. If there is a lot of sugar or caffeine in there, this should be the first thing you target. Or you might find that it's OK except at certain times of the month. Then, during those times, look at the food and drink.

Of course you have lost interest in everything! You have something more important to do, and that is to find your balance. Treat this as your top project.

Repeat positive statements to yourself. "I can get through this." "Other people have gotten through this." "I have a lot to offer the world."

And I repeat, focus on other people. I can't underscore this more. If the world is ugly, there is one place where it is beautiful and that is when you do something nice for someone else. When you make other people smile, your own smile will happen naturally. That's the core of it. We are connected and when we make others happy, it makes us happy.

This is your project now. Everything else can wait. Nothing else matters. Working with your doctors, watching your food and drink, focussing on other people, and creating the world you want to live in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Have you read The Bronxman's posts lately? He is very, very funny. He will cheer you up. His "jumping the shark" post is borderline "epic" and "legendary." And those Pocket Legends commercials - they are the Mona Lisa of online blogging.

All kidding aside, the nice thing about Pocket Legends is that we're one family. So, you'll get through this. We're here for you.

Seriously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

I've gone through some pretty bad depression stages, not going into detail, but I know how it feels. The only thing that helped me is interaction. That's it, not meds, not shrinks, not mental hospitals, simple human interaction. When you realize that people do love you and want you help you, your family, your friends, hell, even random people from the internet, you realize that it really ain't that bad. No offense, but it could always be worse. I mean, there's tons of people out there with nothing besides each other, and that's all that matters to them. Please don't be offended by any of this, I've just gone through this before, then I decided to run out on my mom at 15. Bad call, I was either homeless or bouncing from couch to couch until last year. But I learned something, and that is that people do care, if they didn't they wouldn't have fed me, given me a place to sleep, etc. So, just always remember, it could be worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

First off, I wish you well.

There have been some great suggestions posted above. Please take a moment and really think about the suggestions and how you may be able to apply to your situation.

I cannot offer any advice on depression but I have suffered from insomnia for many, many years. I refuse to take drugs and the only thing that ever works for me is exercise.

Set yourself a goal to exercise. Start small if you don't normally exercise much.

When you reach that goal, celebrate the accomplishment! Post it here. I will be proud of you and so will others!

Then set another goal, rinse and repeat! Exercise has a lot of positive effect for the body and brain. If you would like some ideas specific to your ability send me a PM. I would be happy to help you set your first goal

Take care!
    YYZBird-115, YYZBear-115, YYZMage-115

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Don't feel bad, you're not alone! Everyone goes thru this at times...life can be hard at times. Follow the things said above...exercise helps even tho it's not easy to do it regularly. Just get outside & not be indoors too much, sunlight/fresh air does help a lot with your mood.