Exercise at least 4 times per week helps a lot with the Insomnia.

Depression used to bother me when I was younger because people seem the think that everyone is supposed to be happy all the time. So, it would seem that not being happy is a bad thing. At some point, i decided that not being happy was fine, and in fact it made sad music sound better.

If I don't want to be sad, there are many things I could do about it. For example, helping other people seems to help, because I think a lot of sadness comes from too much self-focus, and helping others changes my thinking. It might be something little like helping a friend wash his car, or just go for a walk in a park and pick up trash along the way so I feel like I'm helping out.

Also, not having any hope for the future can be problematic. People need hope that they will have a good future. When I was younger I became a Christian, and that erased all lack of hope issues I may have had.

I never took any meds; fortunately it wasn't popular to drug kids when I was young. Otherwise, I sure my mom would have kept me drugged. That would have been a bad thing.

Like I said, depression just makes sad music sound better. So, I view depression as a good opportunity to listen to music. And, I ride my mountain bike a lot, so I sleep like a log. But, if I don't exercise for a long period of time (like it rains for weeks), then I end up watching TV until late at night because I'm not tired.