Thread: "Elite" vanity recycling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Default "Elite" vanity recycling

I was trying to come up with an idea to prevent vanity types from being recycled. For instance, the running rumor now is that STS will cycle vanities after all vanity slots are filled. For example, a new vanity helmet could be on the horizon in a couple more level caps. Not sure if this was confirmed or just speculation.

However, what if, instead of recycling gear...

Scenario 1:

they added a new vanity category? For example "Gem slots" (I know there are already gems in game, so maybe this isn't a good name). Here are some examples:

1. The gem slots could allow you to equip multiple gems rather than just one like how we have for gear now. There could be a place on your character, maybe on their arm or back shows which gems you have equipped. Maybe this would be too difficult with the little real estate on our toons now.

2. The gem slot only allows you to equip one gem. There should be enough real estate on the toon to show this. Now, the kicker is, if you have multiple colored gems from different level caps you can craft them into 1 gem which you can equip. Of course, combinations of different gems would create different colored crafted gems. So, if someone has collected all gems, they would have a color that is different than people that have not collected them all. And of course the bonus would increase each time a new gem is added.

Scenario 2:

the new gear can be crafted with the old gear to create a new piece. For instance, Crown of Persistence + Blahblah of Blahblah = Crown of Blahblah. No new set bonus, just a different look to be able to show off both pieces.

Just an off the wall idea I had to preserve the value of the previously earned level cap vanities.

Any opinions/comments welcome.
    Last edited by Rare; 02-01-2012 at 12:36 PM.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I got your point about preserving the investment, but after some time the bonus must rewind anyway for two good reasons: the bonus can not grow indefinitely because the difference between hardcore and casual players would become excessive, and if someone lost one level cap on one toon the poor guy will never reach its maximum potential even playing furiously.

A maximum number of stackable vanity items is enough to guarantee both purposes - well thought, STS!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

A sparkles slot xD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tamino View Post
    I got your point about preserving the investment, but after some time the bonus must rewind anyway for two good reasons: the bonus can not grow indefinitely because the difference between hardcore and casual players would become excessive, and if someone lost one level cap on one toon the poor guy will never reach its maximum potential even playing furiously.

A maximum number of stackable vanity items is enough to guarantee both purposes - well thought, STS!
    True, maybe at some point, the bonus should become fixed.

However, there are two problems:

1. If gear is recycled, older versions will become obsolete. Since they cannot be stashed or moved to other characters they will end up getting liquidated since they are just taking up space.
    2. Its not necessarily a good thing to only reward newer players for getting to the elite cap. I do see what you are saying.

I updated the OP with a new idea I just had.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)