Thread: Are you browsing the forums on a Mac via Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lightbulb Are you browsing the forums on a Mac via Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome?

Now I know there has been extensive reviews out there already about these two browsers - gotta love the browser wars huh

So I am just wondering what is your pick? Personally, I have been a long Firefox user, since 04 and though I played around with Safari and Opera, they were nothing more then "one surf stands". And though I have heard of Chrome long before and had to wait for a long time before it is was matured enough to be given serious consideration which I believe is about now, I am beginning to like the experience that Chrome gives me.

A browser really does change your entire online experience especially if you are a power user, and as much as it has to be capable it doesn't hurt if it it was nicely designed.

Take a look at how each renders the drop down menu on the forum:
    * Safari is just there for comparison sake

FIREFOX

SAFARI

CHROME

Notice how Chrome mimics the native UI unlike Firefox. Subtle differences which may not influence your experience but just a comparison.

I have found equivalent extensions to my Firefox on Chrome and although they are not as customizable or as sophisticated, they do look and function smoother, and most of all I don't have to restart every time I add a new one.

So am guessing I might dump firefox for chrome, I have already made it default browser but am not planning to thrash it completely - who knows what might happen in the future.
    Last edited by v5point0; 07-31-2010 at 08:38 AM.
    MEMBER OF THE LEGENDS CLAN

DO CHECKOUT MY SALE THREAD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always been firefox, not tried any others really, just don't like the way they look and firefox works fine, plus it follows the traditional vista theme, I like to keep things simple and organised

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

I was in about the same place you are, a longtime Firefox fan, developing an interest in Chrome. Just as my use of Chrome was surpassing Firefox, a Chrome update came out that broke it on my computer (it still ran but settings/extensions were reset every time it started, it would freeze up if left on too long. It took them months to figure out why it was happening for only a small fraction of users, and though it is now fixed, I am not giving Chrome another shot until I see some reason to.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use safari =)
    Kavanah: "Cinco, would you rather be in a Norma Jean or As I Lay Dying mosh pit?"
    Cinco: "Norma Jean, in that case /mosh"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Google Chrome it is way faster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Used Firefox - but I'm all Chromed out now.

-Apple user

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always thought chrome is way faster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Safari, duh. Apple is finally gearing up for plug-ins, with a full app-store-esque experience (from developer though Apple to end user seamlessly).

Flaimdude: Lvl31 Mage Flaimer: Lvl15 Arch Flaimior: Lvl14 Bear
    "If you're not careful asommers will catch up to you lol" ~Royce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Firefox have a good philosophy and works well for me. Chrome has some great features, but Google owns enough of my online experience already I feel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flaimdude View Post
    Safari, duh.
    Sorry Flaim, but Safari is the generic peanut butter and jelly sandwich of browsers, and will never seriously compete with FF or Chrome IMO. And they would have to flat out beat Chrome too, since they are both webkit-based and present almost identical browsing experiences (but Chrome with many more frills). I suppose if Google really blows it with Chrome somehow, then maybe...
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    I was in about the same place you are, a longtime Firefox fan, developing an interest in Chrome. Just as my use of Chrome was surpassing Firefox, a Chrome update came out that broke it on my computer (it still ran but settings/extensions were reset every time it started, it would freeze up if left on too long. It took them months to figure out why it was happening for only a small fraction of users, and though it is now fixed, I am not giving Chrome another shot until I see some reason to.
    What OS were you using and what version of Chrome was it? I assume you are back on FF 3.6.8. I somewhat feel that there has been a lot less development with the extensions since Chrome picked up pace and though Firefox still owns with the numbers it doesn't help if the updates are going stale.

These are what I use on Firefox

I am missing the Google Calendar plugin because there is only one and it has been outdated since FF v3.0

These on Chrome

On Chrome there were more options and all were up to date - I suppose that is always the case with something new

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default 2 Major Deal Breakers

GoogleReaderPlus on Chrome doesn't do Folders

DownloadHelper is missing on Chrome. I doubt it would ever make its way to Chrome or an equivalent be created in the future simply because Google wouldn't be in favor of it. Perhaps not devoting yourself to a Google browser may not be such a bad idea after all.

So I have revamped my Firefox with a new theme, added a few more extensions, and looks like it's back as my main, but I will be keeping an eye on Chrome though...who knows.