Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Platinum idea/request

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Lightbulb Platinum idea/request

As I'm sure you get a lot of requests for this. Why can platinum not be traded in the game and/or bought with gold? I understand yall have to make money but 10,000 gold pieces is not that unreasonable for 1 platinum as that requires work and dedication to achieve for multiple reasons. This is an excellent game in itself but a lot of us can't or won't physically pay on a free game. I get you can earn free plats with downloads but that's a little taxing on phones and computers. Maybe you could even earn it through your levels and stats to the die hard fans? I'll still continue to play and I'm excited for dark legends, just thought id offer some food for thought, in this ,day and age with the economy (not to sound like a tight a$$ cliche haha) its hard to find rewarding games that aren't free through and through. Youve already made the name for yourself and you could seriously become one of the notorious ones that offer the best 100% free which in itself is respectable and rare :-)

~Claxtin

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Claxtin For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

Good idea i agree but you should post this next time to the idea section!
    Daantjeh LVL 71 Bird | MageProdigy LVL 66 Mage | Prototypee LVL 65 Bear | Weapon Proc+Skill Combo's Guide | Guide When to use which emote! | All in one Guide for the Best PvE Ratio (Archer) |

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mageprodigy For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

STS is a business, the product they sell is their games.

If you don't want to pay for a product, then enjoy what they ARE giving for free. At least you don't have to spend nearly as much plat to play now as you did before.

-------AEO-------

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NECROREAPER For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

There will never be a truly great free game because for some reason, people in this country think they should actually make money when they work. I wish plat prices for items were less, but it's America, STS can charge what people will pay.
    Duped - Lvl 65 Mage
    Conanursan - Lvl 65 Bear
    Isniped - Lvl 65 Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

In anycase, if you check out the free platinum via tapjoy, you can rack up decent amounts of plat completely for free. To date I have 'harvested' about 200 plat through the tapjoy program. More than enough to buy access to the platinum area's, buy additional inventory slots, get yourself a few more auction slots and get a ring and some vanities...

With checking frequently, aside from the tons of free plat I got when I just started (and all offers were available) the program, when dependent upon new additions to the tapjoy scheme, I 'farm' about 3-5 plat per week now on average... more then enough to save up for halloween, winter and similar events

When doing this in a wifi area, it is just a matter of a few minutes work once per week, no problem at all...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Whisper72 For This Useful Post:

The Netherlands, posted 8 hours later than forum time.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I agree but I guess this is not possible for STS
    SebastiaaNL 67 mage, IlikePvP 66 bird, DutchTwinkk 56 bear, NoobzGtfo 44 bird, BoomFear 35 mage, moneymakerrr 11 merchant
    Proud member of Influence!

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

What's not free about the game? The campaigns are free except the premium ones which aren't required by any means; you can level regularly without even entering the maps that require plat. The gear is free (without the top level gear being "premium only" as many other games do). One free character is enough, 5 stash slots is enough to hold a spare set, 50 inventory slots is enough to make a complete run, and one auction slot is enough to net some extra gold via cs. I understand that it's not ideal but you can play the game without spending a dime and not be lesser than the plat superstars of Alterra.

As mentioned earlier, STS is indeed a business and they are here to turn a profit so they do restrict the plat earning ability a bit but it's still out there. Plenty of offers to be had via the TapJoy wall (iOS user speaking), and it's is actually possible to sell/trade plat (created) items now so that's a mini-victory in the way of being able to turn a profit on those plat sink items that are bulking down your stash.
    Last edited by Gluttony; 02-16-2012 at 03:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

Haha this would ruin the game>.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud Member of:
    <The Community Guild> PL Chars: Sryyoulose L76, swept L10
    SL Chars: Sryyoulose L40, Affair L28, XPLX L20

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

+1 to all who said no.

Not trying to be mean or anything, but said earlier, STS is a business who needs to make money. Do you want Samhayne's fridge to be empty? No.
    And 10k per plat is a little crazy. Especially because we buy gold with plat.
    ShadowPlat OneMoreDay RegiLess & RegFree
    My Guess: 177

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Cool replying to debby downers lol

Ok and my tone here is quite cheerful so please do not misunderstand haha. I had actually emailed spacetime studios this question and they had suggested (and not in the form of an auto reply) that I post the same question here. Yes sts is a business however, my requests are not that absurd nor unreasonable. I was simply doing what the gentleman on the other end asked me to do :-)

I sense condescending tones with some replies (if I'm reading too much into that then I apologize) which leads me to believe youve already spent a fair deal of money on the game which leads me to believe you just don't want others to reap the rewards so easily as you had not. I get that whole heartedly. This is an excellent game. My point is keep the option of buying platinum for people who want to do what they want instantly... Or... Simply allow platinum to become a reward for those who have certainly worked for it be it in stats, levels, kills, etc. There will always be plenty if not majority of people who will continue to buy plats for instant gratification, as I've seen more characters with costumes and gear that require plats, than not

I do enjoy the game and everything it offers with its freebes. Just like any other game you work so hard to get to a point in unlocking the next chapter yet the only difference here is (for part of it) you have to buy it (or download multiple aps to achieve it). Yes this is a FREE game yet the services used to operate it (ie my Verizon account) is not and pardon me for feeling like my dues have already been paid. I will, personally myself, buy a game but I will not buy PARTS of a game if that makes sense. If I'm going to buy Jenga I'm not buying it by the block (and I know a lot of people feel the same here as well) So again, what's so wrong with working as hard as I have to get to my level 45 and not getting a platinum here and there? For instance for every tenth leveling, ONE plat which at this point would give me 4. I have 7000 kills, so why not ONE plat per every 1000 yielding me 7. Just using myself as an example here. Personally, I do not think 10,000 gold per plat is extreme as a lot of games have a reverse currency for different purposes. You buy gold for certain gear and potions and you buy plat for extra levels, elixers, etc. so in itself its a sacrifice that we have all have made in multiple games at one time or another (i say 10k as it takes a while through earning it to achieve it) Situations like that are not unreasonable and are just as rewarding in my opinion.

In conclusion as I've said I did what the gentleman who replied to my email told me to do and I've done so. Some interesting responses ill say but not from the one I had initially thought would respond but that is what it is. So I will simply have to agree to disagree my friends. If one day they decide to have a free version with locked items until you buy the game, then I will certainly choose to buy it :-)

Still my demeanour is quite cheerful so I'm not trying to sound like a prick haha. I just hope one day I find the answer that I'm looking for :-)

SpaceTime, keep up the greatness and thanks for the raw thumbs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Great post, Claxtin, and following that lead I will also strive to remain light yet constructive In the beginning (non-religious lol) when I started out, you had to buy the maps. I had a single $20 itunes card that I bought with birthday money (my only job is to be a student and my internships are not paid) so that was pretty much going to be it unless I pulled more out of my frightfully light piggy bank. As I leveled up, I bought the areas as they came no matter their price because I could afford it with my plat-pinching ways. I had one character, the areas, and a small inventory. Cool beans, I could work with it It was a while before Tapjoy free offers came up so I saw holiday vanities (that no one knew for sure would be limited or not) come and go but it was still cool beans with me because I had my gear and my nest egg of gold in my stash.

I have never felt slighted by the main spine becoming free and the reason why is because when I buy my latest video game console, five months later when it's cheaper I don't write to Nintendo or Sony demanding my money back. I don't demand my money back from STS for the plat I spent on the levels. I wanted the levels and I got them It was a fair trade of plat for enjoyment. That initial burst of plat lasted me a good amount of time and while I am a few vanities short I feel pretty good about my choices.

I know anecdotal stuff is flimsy, but it's what I have Anyway, this is not to say that implementing, using your example, a 1 plat per 1000 kills system is bad especially because now there are so few with even more than 5k kills so in fact I think that'd be a cool system to encourage more play time! Saying that, the piece by piece system is alright in my book: you get what you pay for but dang gummit you get a lot free too
    Last edited by Roc; 02-19-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Proud Member of Eclipse
    PL: Rocshana[main, lvl 75]
    AL: Roc [warrior] with my trusty puppy Crescent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whisper72 View Post
    In anycase, if you check out the free platinum via tapjoy, you can rack up decent amounts of plat completely for free. To date I have 'harvested' about 200 plat through the tapjoy program. More than enough to buy access to the platinum area's, buy additional inventory slots, get yourself a few more auction slots and get a ring and some vanities...

With checking frequently, aside from the tons of free plat I got when I just started (and all offers were available) the program, when dependent upon new additions to the tapjoy scheme, I 'farm' about 3-5 plat per week now on average... more then enough to save up for halloween, winter and similar events

When doing this in a wifi area, it is just a matter of a few minutes work once per week, no problem at all...
    I've been downloading free games for free platinum but it seems I can't do it anymore cuz the games won't give platinum. I have no idea why but I've only gotten 73.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Heyy you can join twitter contest or the contest forum only need Creative Ideas+Humor ...For free plat ^^
    Last edited by Aquilasoul; 02-19-2012 at 05:38 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquilasoul For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Where would this contest be at? Do you have a link to it or a title I should be lookin for that would be great! I'm pretty fresh to the forums here, amongst other things o.O baha id love to submit my ideas with others :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

TapJoy serves me just fine. I can load up a good 20+ plat in a couple days. And as mentioned before, STS is a business, not a charity.

The reason you can't trade it is because people could scam you for platinum, resulting in a loss of REAL money, not just gold. STS would get a lot of law suits if that happened, or i would think.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Well welcome to the forums, the Twitter contest doesn't have an official thread but basically you add Star Legends or Pocket Legends (and recently Dark Legends) on your Twitter account (if you don't have one take a few minutes and just make one... it's free afterall). Every week there is a contest where users have one hour to respond to the question that is asked and the 3 responses picked will get 30 plat.

PL Twitter page: http://twitter.com/#!/pocketlegends
    SL Twitter page: http://twitter.com/#!/starlegends
    DL Twitter page: http://twitter.com/#!/darklegends

Results of the last Twitter contest: PL, SL, DL.

Sorry if you sense hostility; though I do feel that most who responded explained their reasoning well, but this issue has been raised many times and it never really ends well. Basically what you're asking for isn't really realistic due to the fact that it would cost STS money and they need money to run the server, pay employees, put a roof over their heads (thus ensuring the server doesn't get wet)... and if they start giving the game away, then that will quickly lead to the beginning of the end.

I'll use an example of how this is a slippery slope, take the gaining 1 plat for every 10k of gold spent. There are items that drop in the game that are easily worth over 1M gold, for instance the Sanguine Chiroptera Longbow currently in cs for 1.19M (1,190,000). This item could be turned into over 100 plat alone, plus there are players who have hit the gold cap of 9,999,999 on multiple characters in the game which would earn them almost 1k plat per toon. If one player has the cap on a single character and in the stash then this idea would have cost STS 2k plat or ~$100. Kills is another no-go-imo, as if you check the leaderboards (LB) there are players who have 500k+ kills which would net them 500+ plat. Finally, giving away one plat per 10 levels would just lead to players creating a character, using the free daily elixir and grinding up to L10 for their one free plat, rinse, repeat. This would only take ~15 min to get up to level 10 (and could be accomplished even quicker through the use of friends/guilds/grind parties). There are just a few examples of how this simple plan could backfire and gobble up mountains of money that STS could have spent to better our precious game.

Maybe try focusing on the parts of the game that STS is actually giving away: Campaigns used to cost plat which meant you couldn't level up properly if you didn't ante up. Making them free forced STS to shift away from what was generating money and come up with a different approach to get players to open up their wallets. Free daily elixirs, sure they're only 5 minutes, but they are 3x more power, speed and luck than you had before your conversation with Vincent (aka reformed street vendor Vinnie) and it didn't cost you one shiny gold coin. Not to mention the deal of the day and guild purchased elixirs, sure these only reduce the price you have to pay for the premium swag, but a plat saved is a plat earned.
    Last edited by Gluttony; 02-19-2012 at 01:31 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Gluttony For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Buying/trading plat means people buying less. That's all there is to say about that.

They already have options for free plat.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would think making plat tradable would increase the amount sold. If there is no way besides the free offers through tapjoy, the platinum being traded had to come from somewhere. People would have to buy it to trade for valuable items or gold. You would have people who would buy platinum to supply the market, and people who don't buy platinum who would purchase it from other players for gold to buy the vanities or access that they want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by elrond View Post
    I would think making plat tradable would increase the amount sold. If there is no way besides the free offers through tapjoy, the platinum being traded had to come from somewhere. People would have to buy it to trade for valuable items or gold. You would have people who would buy platinum to supply the market, and people who don't buy platinum who would purchase it from other players for gold to buy the vanities or access that they want.
    Thats exactly how gold works.

Having platinum tradable would actually reduce amount of plaitnun sold. Why waste money when you can just trade stuff for platinum?
    Main: Ardon lvl 41 Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Default .

The problem that you all seem to be missing, is that enacting this would lead to a zombie apocalypse...

Make plat tradeable- Samhayne makes 50$ less per week- Samhayne gets angry- Samhayne turns into a zombie and bites the STS staff- The STS staff host a meeting for interested players- They bite those players, turning them into zombies- Thus turning the entire STS player base into zombies.

So yeah, no.