Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: CareFree Forums

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Lightbulb CareFree Forums

In a world where “97 percent of teenagers play video games” (Sieberg, 2011) you just can’t ignore the younger crowd and expose them to language and other elements that could very well harm the growth of your company and therefore you must take that into account when deciding whether to restrict the language and content that is presented.

SpaceTime Studios continues to do a marvelous job in keeping their forums and game a safe haven for the younger crowd, they are quick to delete posts with vulgar language, sexually oriented content, and otherwise not suitable topics for the younger crowd to view.

Unfortunately, what SpaceTime Studios has not taken into account is that although a percentage of their player base is in fact kids, many are not. According to the ESA (Entertainment Software Association) “Eighty-two percent of gamers are 18 years of age or older” And with “Ninety-three percent of people who make the actual purchase of video games being 18 years of age or older” (ESA) SpaceTime Studios can ill-afford to ignore the older audience.

Without having to constantly police the forums (thus chasing away older clients), how can they keep the younger safe? In my opinion, the best method for going about solving this problem would be to make a separate “adults only” forum to discuss the game and be able to talk freely and express opinions in practically any way that satisfies the adult player.

And I have done just that, I have created a separate forum that is age restricted (18+). In this way, adult gamers of the SpaceTime studios games will be able to go and talk freely without having to worry about what they say and whether it might not be appropriate for the younger audience.

And not unlike the SpaceTime Studios forums, I don’t want a vulgar experience either, so you are asked to respect others, never reveal your personal information, etc (very much like the STS forums rules).

For those of you SpaceTime Studios adult gamers who feel that they need an adult friendly environment in which to chat about STS games, I invite you to join us at www.CareFreeForums.com!!!

Bibliography
    ESA, E. S. (n.d.). Gaming Industry Facts. Retrieved February 23, 2012, from The Entertainment Software Association: http://www.theesa.com/facts/
    Sieberg, D. (2011). Are Video Games Actually Good For Kids? CBS News , 1.

P.S. STS, in no way is this a jab at you guys, rather this is fansite that will let the older members talk freely without having to worry.
    P.P.S. The forums have been privatized, you will now need to signup to view the content (this should take care of any problems Airrie )
    Last edited by DanielRH; 02-24-2012 at 03:21 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DanielRH For This Useful Post: