Thread: "Energy" in Dark Legends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Post "Energy" in Dark Legends

The first I heard of the new energy feature being implemented into Dark Legends was in this review of the game at massively.joystick.com. Here is the sentence from that article: "Spacetime used the energy mechanic from social games and improved upon it to give it a little more depth and purpose in the game."
    Link to full article here

After reading that I remembered the video of Cinco playing at MWC.
    Here is the video

Here are cropped screenshots of the video at 41 seconds and at 51 seconds:

Now I hope that with all of the above information we can all safely assume that there will be some sort of energy in Dark Legends. And we can say that the timer is at least 3m 38s long and that there is a max amount of 25 energy that one can have at any given time. Also I believe it is safe to assume one can buy more energy due to the presence of a plus next to the bar.

What I do not know is how long the timer is, but my guess from experience with games like these would be 10-20 minutes. I also don't know what the energy is used for. Some of my theories as to what it could be used for are as follows (in no particular order):

1. Cost to run a dungeon - the energy is used to gain entrance to a dungeon, pretty simple... this would be a game-killer/pain in the butt
    2. Special moves/Power moves/Enrage - the energy is used for certain skills that are simply too powerful to be used on a regular basis or used to "power up"...dumb idea, but would be preferred over theory 1
    3. Mini-games - the energy is used to participate in mini-games that take place during cutscenes... I got this idea from the tentonhammer.com article where it says this: "active vignettes (actual cutscenes – rare in a mobile game - where players perform quick actions on an unlock timer such as glamming a target or stalking a neighborhood)"... sounds like mini-games to me
    4. Crafting - energy is used to craft items. Items still drop off bosses, quests, and chests; other than that all crafting (crafting materials drop from monsters, bosses, and chests as well)... this would make getting gear sluggish, but it wouldn't wreck the game as much as theory 1
    5. Farming - the energy is used to plant and harvest crops... for lols

In all seriousness there are infinite possibilities as to what the energy will be used for in Dark Legends because of the quote I have up top that says that they improved upon the energy mechanic. And how the energy will provide depth and purpose is beyond me, because in my opinion it will only add annoyance.

Hopefully the energy is used for theory 3 as that wouldn't hinder leveling or farming (for vanities... etc.) while theory 1 would be the worst because it would limit pretty much everything. Theory 1 would destroy power-leveling pretty much totally because people wouldn't want to waste their energy on a dungeon lower level than them. Also it would make it hard to be an Ambassador for Dark Legends unlike the other two titles because you could only help out 25 dungeon instances at a given time (unless it doesn't always cost 1 energy to run a dungeon)... unless STS programs it to give infinite energy to Ambassadors. The only plus of theory 1 that I could think of is people wouldn't want to leave the instance because they invested something into it... but it is kind of complicated here too because if the person gets kicked for a dumb reason after they enter they just used energy for nothing.

The more I think about it the more I'd like to think that theory 1 or 4 can't be possible as it would totally change that game from it's predecessors. But theories 1 and 4 also seem like the obvious answers because other energy based MMO's use them (Spiral Knights and Gunshine). If energy is used for theory 3 which I'm gonna say is the best and most likely theory of my theory list, then the timer can be way longer than 10-20 minutes because they are just mini-games. To have to do them as often as 10 minutes would be tedious and would get old fast.

One more thing I'd like to add is a stress that energy adds to the game. If your a serious gamer, like me, you want to make use of all available resources. Well when energy is a part of a game and has a cap I feel the pressure to get on before that energy caps out (at 25 energy in the case of this game). This, even though it's silly, would make me feel the need to get on and play every x hours to get full use of the energy timer. It's that little stress that really just ruins any game for me, I play games to not have any stress.

Well there it is, I tried to keep my total and utter hatred for energy in f2p games at a minimum

Note: All text at the top (colored in navy) is backed by credible sources, all text colored brown is my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

My gut feeling says either 1 or 3. But that's just my opinion it may have nothing to do with either will just have to wait for kindle fire players to give us the scoop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

I was thinking it would be a charge attack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Yea I just plain don't like the fact of energy in MMO's. MMO's are for grinding, for hours on end some days, for the best items to sit around in a city/pvp with (depending on the game) :P While energy just makes it so you just have to wait for a stupid timer. But you're right, we'll just have to wait and see. If anyone else has any more ideas on what energy will be used for, I welcome them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Okay it has been confirmed that energy in Dark Legends will be used up when running dungeons. Found the information at this article: http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php...d-dark-legends

"Dark Legends uses an energy mechanic found in social games but it doesn't exploit it to the point most social games do. While running dungeons does cost energy, if you happen to run out of energy there is still plenty to do in the game while waiting for it to refill."
    It goes on to talking about player housing and other games that you can do outside of dungeons.

I'm disappointed.

I feel like they are cutting too much of the combat in the game and adding a lot of social aspects.
    Plus I'm gonna feel much less obliged to help a friend because I'll have to spend energy to do so.
    Last edited by Vhigdo; 03-10-2012 at 02:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vhigdo View Post
    Okay it has been confirmed that energy in Dark Legends will be used up when running dungeons. Found the information at this article: http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php...d-dark-legends

"Dark Legends uses an energy mechanic found in social games but it doesn't exploit it to the point most social games do. While running dungeons does cost energy, if you happen to run out of energy there is still plenty to do in the game while waiting for it to refill."
    It goes on to talking about player housing and other games that you can do outside of dungeons.

I'm disappointed.

I feel like they are cutting too much of the combat in the game and adding a lot of social aspects.
    Plus I'm gonna feel much less obliged to help a friend because I'll have to spend energy to do so.

WOW. So many typos. How did this guy end up writing articles for people. After the first two paragraphs I lost all respect for his writing, and was dying the whole article. But I had to read it all xD

Anyways so thaaaaat is what this "energy" feature is I see.
    Hum, I am a little curious to see how it does.
    Not sure how it will work.
    Cause yeah like you said we will have to limit ourselves!?
    Lolol idk I hope it 'refills' a heck lot faster than other energy type limit games.
    Ah Im scared now xD we will just have to wait and see.
    Last edited by ArtStar; 03-10-2012 at 03:15 AM.
    A true Star Legend...
    |SL: Eng-Artstar, Op-Demoneyes, Comm-Skullflower|

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

Seems that this may take more plat than the other 2 games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

it would be nice to socialize in game, but why not socialize during combat?
    -less energy more fire power.
    Level 60 Mage- JordieLOL
    ----Don't give away the secure information to your accounts, nor to your personal information.---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elyseon View Post
    Seems that this may take more plat than the other 2 games
    Thats a serious statement. Lol.
    A true Star Legend...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

I would rather just pay a one time fee for premium dungeons like in PL. The Energy will only really effect people who play all day long and not casual players. I guess I will just switch back to PL or SL while my energy recharges. Seems like the energy is just there to slow down player advancement (unless you want to buy plat constantly) so they do not have to add content as often. Energy would also help to reduce server load and queues.
    Growwle - My guess is 1050

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Growwle View Post
    I would rather just pay a one time fee for premium dungeons like in PL. The Energy will only really effect people who play all day long and not casual players. I guess I will just switch back to PL or SL while my energy recharges. Seems like the energy is just there to slow down player advancement (unless you want to buy plat constantly) so they do not have to add content as often. Energy would also help to reduce server load and queues.
    Well yeah, I wanna play hard to advance my player. So this will suck.
    A true Star Legend...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Yeah, if I like DL as I think I will, than I would like to seen loads of time like I use to with SL.

And I'm not gonna spend plat for energy so I can play more.
    Main: Ardon lvl 41 Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ardon View Post
    Yeah, if I like DL as I think I will, than I would like to seen loads of time like I use to with SL.

And I'm not gonna spend plat for energy so I can play more.
    Name:  2c2edbb5-e1da-4907-b8b2-361c966280c0.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  33.1 KB
    L15 Mage - Certificates. L12 Behr - Certificate. L15 Teamer Mage - Duuq

THE DUUQS WILL RULE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaduck View Post
    Name:  2c2edbb5-e1da-4907-b8b2-361c966280c0.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  33.1 KB
    And the purpose for this post is?

I'm just saying what I think and what I won't due if energy turns out to be what it is said to be.
    Main: Ardon lvl 41 Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Its a joke.

Oh well.
    L15 Mage - Certificates. L12 Behr - Certificate. L15 Teamer Mage - Duuq

THE DUUQS WILL RULE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i hope energy does not mean you have to recharge before advancing.
    Level 60 Mage- JordieLOL
    ----Don't give away the secure information to your accounts, nor to your personal information.---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Annonymous View Post
    i hope energy does not mean you have to recharge before advancing.
    Exactly what it means. Ha ha
    A true Star Legend...