Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Evolution of PvP --> A Short Summary

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Default The Evolution of PvP --> A Short Summary

Hey PL PvP community!It has come to my attention (as as it has for many months now too) that there are several complaints and in game "complainers" about the term, "rushing". For however long this thread lasts, hopefully it gives players some insightful information on the true PvP that PL once used to be.

Table of Contents: **Make sure to answer the questions at the bottom of the thread as a response in your post!**

I.) The term, "Rushing"
    II.) Early Stages of PvP
    III.) Evolution of Players
    IV.) Rushing Taking It's Place
    V.) The Art of Rushing

I. Rushing
    I'll try to put the word "Rushing" in its best possible explanation. The term "rushing" or "rusher" is supposedly used to accuse players who don't play PvP the "correct" way and are normally considered disrespectful. A rusher is one PvPer who joins a game and instantly kills players without them noticing. Typically, a disrespectful rusher will rush in and leave during a fight before being killed. This way, they still get a death but continue to have the satisfaction of their target of not getting a kill (therefore they may complain, and that may only encourage a disrespectful rusher to keep going at you.) A "respectful rusher" will gladly take a death right in the match. A normal player might say that rushers ruin the PvP society; this may be the essential question. Do rushers ruin the game? Can they be helpful? Let us read on.

II. Early Stages of PvP

It was an early time of Pocket Legends, where client update 1.2 was in place. Please, sit back, relax, and enjoy one of spacetime's earliest films!

Hopefully you have taken the time to carefully watch this video. Notice how players are doing FFA (free for all).

'Tis once a player who lived by the all mighty name of Thelonearcher. Many of you old players may remember him, as he was considered a legend of the generation of PvP. The first Dex bird to have the most PvP kills on the leader boards! (Yep, even past you, Kanital )

Let's take a look at some of the "Pro" PvPers and what they have to say:
    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 437
Size:  16.1 KB
    Rushorgtfo- "Thelonearcher was the best PvPer"

Views: 449
Size:  14.5 KB
    Imperialelf- "Thelonearcher was a brilliant PvP player!!!!"

Views: 441
Size:  15.2 KB
    <--(Haha) Kanital- "The Lonearcher is my Idol"

Clearly these current 'Pro' Pvpers know what they are talking about, so let's just take their word on it! A dex bird named, Thelonearcher, companioned by an enchantress with the name of, Ladylove, as well as another enchantress by the name of, Residentevl. The three little pro pvpers set out a destiny to become the best PvPers as soon as the update came along.

The style that has been brought to Pocket Legends Early Years of PvP was known as "FFA" and there were absolutely no rules to this style. You simply came in to PvP, were ready to fight, and you were at it!

III. The Evolution of Players
    How many of you players out there once had a friend on Pocket Legends, but then logged on another day to never seem them again? I'm sure this happens to us all, as this is the common proccess in how PvP generations occur. It's that awkward time, about 3 weeks before a new campaign is coming... and the whole community becomes bored, desperate for a new update.

However! One of the main reasons for a generation lost and allowing a huge opening for newcomers in PvP is because of the almighty GCD (at the time, GCD was considered the PL 'plague' but it's perfectly fine now.)

What is GCD? GCD stands for global cool down. Back in the old FFA PvP, there was no cool down on the buttons. If you had fast fingers, PvP was the place for you. When GCD was implemented (around at the level 50 cap) players thought that the 'talent' they had would never be the same. This, thus, resulted in a massive loss of players. A lot of players changed their names to protest against the GCD. You may see some of the those players lurking around every now and then such as Freeusfromgcd or ihategcd. Talk about oldies!

What happened to Players, such as Thelonearcher?

Well ladies and gents, players move on from the game as new ones come in. I'll give you a little help on this.

Some of the first PvPers --> Lonearcher, ladylove, residentevl; Late 45's and Early start of Level 50 --> Readtitle, Mysticaldream, ellyidol; The 55's --> Skimmey, Xrax, hmmhmm; The 60-66's --> Kanital, Imkelly, Absoluteboss, etc.
    This was simply an example of how the evolution process goes. Players come and players go. Evolution.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	evz.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	8337

IV. Rushing Takes Place

How did this 1 vs. 1 and rushing take place? Well honestly guys, about 15% of this community from the beginning truly knows that 1v1 and rushing were never really the PvP style. So, how did Rushing come to place?

As I've mentioned above, when new players come in and old players go, the new players have to take charge. They'll create a PvP game, followed by several more players joining, then the host will declare it's 1v1. This idea spread out like a disease, becoming the new "social path" in PvP style and form, and mostly respect. New generations of players will bring in new ideas, and the 1v1 style we're currently is still with us, and has been with us several months ago.

V. The Art of Rushing

Let me show you what rushing is in a visual form. Rushing is known for its accusing and famous "rushing and noob" lines!

Scenarios: Here, we have myself walking into to PvP games. I'm level 66, all mighty and powerful! My ice blast staff and rainbow robe will kill everyone!

Scenario 1: I join a game by the name, Conradin. I see him, and go for the kill! Here are the results after I try rushing.

Views: 435
Size:  7.4 KB
    Conradin- "You Rushing Noob" after my unsuccessful attempt to rush him.

Scenario 2: I join a forest fight game by the host name of, AngelDawn. I see her, and decide to kill her without her knowing! Let's see the results.

Views: 427
Size:  8.4 KBAngelDawn- "Stupid Rusher!" after my failing attempt at rushing.

Scenario 3: I go at it one more time, and see the name, Shiloo. I went in for the rush!
    Name:  Untitled 2.png
Views: 432
Size:  7.8 KB
    Shiloo- "I hate Rushers" after my last unsuccessful attempt at rushing.

Name:  Untitled 3.png
Views: 425
Size:  9.1 KB

As you can see, players (of course not shiloo, angeldawn, and conradin) can use vulgar insults in the gaming world when it comes to PvP. The question yet to be answered... is rushing really bad? Are players having their own fun?

Some Essential Question that are yet to be answered: (Feel free to copy and paste the question and answer them in a post!)

-Is Rushing Bad? Is it Good?

- Should we have kept the old PvP style?

-Are new generations of players coming in classy? Or possibly drowsy?

-Is it right to call someone a "rusher" or a "noob" if they are the rusher?

-How can players start respecting each other more through PvP?

-What comes first: Respecting players in game, or having your own fun in PvP? Maybe a mix of both?

-How might PvP evolve in the future?

Feel free to come up with more questions!

Well guys, there ya have it! Hope you've enjoyed the comedic thread about how PvP has evolved; hopefully you guys have a better understanding!

Special Thanks To:
    Kanital
    ImperialElf
    Rushorgtfo
    Angeldawn
    Conradin
    Shiloo
    Last edited by XghostzX; 06-07-2012 at 08:27 PM.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to XghostzX For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts

*remembering times when 'rushing' was a PvE term*
    OneRandomNoob - 76 meatshield | Gaunab - 76 dodgenub

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaunab For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gaunab View Post
    *remembering times when 'rushing' was a PvE term*
    I remwmber rushing ao2 4 on my bear back im the day. Wasnt easy work and the whole team could get wiped. Was worth it for those shock lances tho.
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Man i remember when there was no such thing as "rushing" in pvp, lol bak when a snowball launcher would go for 30k at the most XD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

rushing is perfect, cmon guys this is not a tea party as someone else said in other thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Good thread, Will. Much applause :-D

If practice makes perfect and perfection is impossible, why practice?
    Oh, wait... No need to practice. iHax.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

It says
    Cosmic ghost told me to say...
    :3

10. The Following User Says Thank You to plmafiaboss For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

The whole "say go" "go" thong origionated in 19 pvp because if you rushed people they would just lwave and not get a death.
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I was too lazy to read any of it so that must mean you did a good job, thumbs up for you
    Would you look at that its the banana king

You've been trolled face palm*

YOU'VE BEEN TROLLED

OMG OMG OMG LOOK --->YOU'VE BEEN TROLLED AGAIN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

As always the hardcore FFA back in the day was the best. The evolved FFA is better, where if ts 2v3 one will sit and make it 2v2 until another joins. I like FFA I like these so called: "Rushers" And I BELEIVE there is a place for 1v1... The 1v1 map. However, I think we should get a 3v3 1v1 map aswell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud Member of:
    <The Community Guild> PL Chars: Sryyoulose L76, swept L10
    SL Chars: Sryyoulose L40, Affair L28, XPLX L20

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Fantastic! how bout' you add little bit info on twinks? twinks are essential for evolution of pvp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Hey guys! Umm, not quite sure on twinking since I started twinking a lot later than most of you. Perhaps if Zerious or some other old twink could help me out on this one? Thanks for the feedback btw guys

@pimifia- yeah, that was supposed to be a little joke

The Netherlands, posted 8 hours later than forum time.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yokoman View Post
    rushing is perfect, cmon guys this is not a tea party as someone else said in other thread
    Cosmic said...

@cosmic kanital said: cosmic asked me to say...
    Is it an accident or? And it isnt shor lol. Gj and nice video! Lol
    SebastiaaNL 67 mage, IlikePvP 66 bird, DutchTwinkk 56 bear, NoobzGtfo 44 bird, BoomFear 35 mage, moneymakerrr 11 merchant
    Proud member of Influence!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Imsebastiaanl For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

-Is Rushing Bad?
    No. Rushing is fun. It's fun to rush people, it's fun to be rushed. I get bored when I join a map and everyone is talking and no one will fight.

- Should we have kept the old PvP style?
    Honestly, I would be OK if both existed, but PVP has a fairly sharp learning curve and it's quite challenging to learn in-depth during a FFA match against people who are quite good. One vs one is a good way to learn the mechanics to improve understanding of range and combos. We used to call that "practicing" but now its kinda become the way of PVP, which can be so Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

-Are new generations of players coming in classy? Or possibly Drowsy?
    It's always a mix. Certainly new generations will never topple the leaderboards for kills in this one v one style.

-Is it right to call someone a "rusher" or a "noob" if they are the rusher?
    Rusher is fine, I mean its not really an insult. Noob is probably a bit harsh.

-Do players have a right to there own fun?
    Yes. Isn't that why we all play?

-What comes first: Respecting players in game, or having your own fun in PvP? Maybe a mix of both?
    I don't like to think that rushing is disrespectful. Trash talking and name calling is disrespectful. Playing the game by FFA/rushing or 1v1 standards is just playing the game.

-How might PvP evolve in the future?
    I have had some luck asking players to "continuous" 1v1 so we don't wait for buffs or reset, its like "I best bird" for those familiar. Its fun and gives the FFA feel without involving other players who aren't interested.

I just find the slow pace of 1v1 boring. Maybe it will evolve, but I think it would take a lot of time, because the new gen of players certainly likes their 1v1.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ixillicus For This Useful Post:

None of your business, creeper... Geez...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Finally, someone has posted a thread that mirrors my views on pvp exactly!

FFA all the way. Sort out conflicts with 1v1s, and remember to respect other players
    Expert pvp builder and tester, horrible execution XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    I was trying to be optimistic. Thanks for eating my fries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I personally dont like calling fights. BRING BACK THE OLD PVP! A more simple time where ppl would rush u and u wouldnt care. Rush em back. that way is actually a more fun and fair fight and by that I mean that a person with the best gear gets teamed on by 2 others with not so good gear. Calling fights took me out of pvp. Pvp should go old skool. More fun dat way.

None of your business, creeper... Geez...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -_-Legiito View Post
    I personally dont like calling fights. BRING BACK THE OLD PVP! A more simple time where ppl would rush u and u wouldnt care. Rush em back. that way is actually a more fun and fair fight and by that I mean that a person with the best gear gets teamed on by 2 others with not so good gear. Calling fights took me out of pvp. Pvp should go old skool. More fun dat way.
    and bring back intbears! darkbolt mayhem!!
    Expert pvp builder and tester, horrible execution XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    I was trying to be optimistic. Thanks for eating my fries.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Zerious For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Good summary.
    Of course, it's good to talk about the past and share experience, but more important is the future and what we will do then.
    It comes faster then you think. In some cases future already entered PvP (PL).
    Apostel L76 Ursan | Diamantarrow L56 Avian_.
    Immortalcry L61 Elite-Undead | Pleasedontcry L32 Avian n' more..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

A good person to share about the history of twinking would be barbmitous/mrs.bananas as I believe he started it in pl. also, mystical, I think, was really involved with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsofjane View Post
    A good person to share about the history of twinking would be barbmitous/mrs.bananas as I believe he started it in pl. also, mystical, I think, was really involved with it.
    Ah ok cool, I'll definitely ask them. Thanks for feedback once again guys, also when Kanital said "cosmic ghost told me to say..." it was intended.
    Last edited by XghostzX; 04-03-2012 at 03:48 PM.