Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: The reason why you guys "think" 1.3 "has issues"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

-bump-

lols!

but seriously... sticky my thread! =D

and when are u guys planing to release alien oasis part 3, because 1.3 was almost all stuff for new players, with the exeption of a few new ao2 pinks.

i dont want you guys to rush it or anything but we oldies are the backbone of the community and we need stuff to do too ^^

P.S im gettin my ipad on thursday and im gonna quest then so that should keep me busy for a few days

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tjornan View Post
    In my experience, if you ask for one, they tend to not do it. It doesnt matter if they do or not, because us forum peeps will bump your thread forever! screw the no bumping rule!
    I <3 bhmoing
    Name: TylerBoyd

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    Lightning, you are way off base here. We did not rush it out, and it is totally understandable that people want content as soon as they can get it. We were ready for it to go.

Our impression is that 1.3 had a rough reception because:

1) We locked the Stash until players had done some quests. Mistake on our part. The idea was for NEW characters to have to unlock it, existing ones should not have had to.
    2) We locked dungeon levels until you had completed their predecessor. Again, mistake. At least until Swamps, we think that people should be able to play whatever they want, when they want.
    3) Art revamp - we touched EVERY art asset in the game. Many have not fully recovered, but there is no reason we cant bring them back to approximate their previous level of visual flair.
    4) All content produced was for lower-level players.
    5) Navigation changed. People don't like change.

None of these things are critical in and of themselves, but it really threw a lot of people off, so much so that they missed the much larger implications of an open world and quest-based structure.

We feel we hit 1.3 right out of the park. We had a few missteps (you always do with such a monumental release) but we are fixing issues as quickly as they come up.

Last week everyone was still jammed in the same towne, with nothing to do but spam "FOR SALE TOTH PINK 75K" and hit NEW GAME to go to a host screen. Today Alterra is a living, breathing world... ever-expanding with more and more to do. By now you guys should realize now what we have our hands on... a platform so powerful and flexible that it really can rival the best MMO on ANY platform.
    6) We added a turn to shoot which causes the character to go into seizures.

(Sorry, I have to add this to all complaining threads because it drives me insane. )

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

kinda makes sense tho, i mean how can a archer shoot something unless there facing it. unless they put their bow over the top of their head and shoot backwards. that would be pretty fancy lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

why does this kid still make threads....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jstizar View Post
    why does this kid still make threads....
    i honestly dont know Jstizar, his obviously the forum troll

rangepwnsmeel bid 170k on a red scarab bow of thoth and lightning responded with this...

Quote Originally Posted by LIGHTNINGLORD67 View Post
    1gp.

OH YEAH! LETS SEE YOU OWN THAT RANGEPWNSMEEL! Lol :P.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Violent. Don't even start.

Same with you Jstizar.
    Last edited by LIGHTNINGLORD67; 08-10-2010 at 01:23 AM.
    List of Insults! Found by me.
    THIS IS!!!!!!!.....sparta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the reason why i disliked 1.3 was because it was too much change all at once. the stuff that was once very simple, basic, and fun. became frustrating, confusing, and killed the fun factor a bit. felt like i was playing a completely different game.

im one of those that likes to be given the chance to adjust to changes. i prefer updates that slowly enhance the user experience. say for instance, they pushed 1.3 out and all it did was add quests. then ok thats great. another that only adds new towns.
    then another that only changed the interface up a little.
    then just one update that tinkered with the graphics.

THEN i would not be full of complaints. if this were a free game with free content, then i wouldnt complain at all. but because ive invested a lot of time and money into this game... well you cant blame me for being pissed off that everything got turned upside down on me.

do i think its rushed? all the changes do seem a bit forced instead of easing into new territory. i certainly dont think the devs are careless or foolish enough to just throw something out to appease users. they seem to take a lot of pride and care with this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

i dont mind the new update, just the way they changed the look of all the weapons threw me off allot. i dunno why it was necessary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    the reason why i disliked 1.3 was because it was too much change all at once. the stuff that was once very simple, basic, and fun. became frustrating, confusing, and killed the fun factor a bit. felt like i was playing a completely different game.

im one of those that likes to be given the chance to adjust to changes. i prefer updates that slowly enhance the user experience. say for instance, they pushed 1.3 out and all it did was add quests. then ok thats great. another that only adds new towns.
    then another that only changed the interface up a little.
    then just one update that tinkered with the graphics.

THEN i would not be full of complaints. if this were a free game with free content, then i wouldnt complain at all. but because ive invested a lot of time and money into this game... well you cant blame me for being pissed off that everything got turned upside down on me.

do i think its rushed? all the changes do seem a bit forced instead of easing into new territory. i certainly dont think the devs are careless or foolish enough to just throw something out to appease users. they seem to take a lot of pride and care with this game.
    I agree with this. Until now all updates were incremental in nature. After this update the learning curve to play the game exploded, even for a lot of us oldies. I know a few people who're currently taking their break from PL because of the shock.

@Justg: Please tell me you guys are prioritizing the enchantress's head's graphic? Pretty please?
    --------------- Alterra --------------------
    Neurion (archer)
    Erurainon (warrior)
    Neuraina (enchantress)

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Violentsaint View Post
    kinda makes sense tho, i mean how can a archer shoot something unless there facing it. unless they put their bow over the top of their head and shoot backwards. that would be pretty fancy lol
    Growl ... lol.
    But you are right that facing your target makes sense, and it seems the issue is not turning to face your target, but having to turn back to move. Should be able to move backwards to get rid of the seizures.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Lightning, you are way off base here. We did not rush it out, and it is totally understandable that people want content as soon as they can get it. We were ready for it to go.

Our impression is that 1.3 had a rough reception because:

1) We locked the Stash until players had done some quests. Mistake on our part. The idea was for NEW characters to have to unlock it, existing ones should not have had to.
    2) We locked dungeon levels until you had completed their predecessor. Again, mistake. At least until Swamps, we think that people should be able to play whatever they want, when they want.
    3) Art revamp - we touched EVERY art asset in the game. Many have not fully recovered, but there is no reason we cant bring them back to approximate their previous level of visual flair.
    4) All content produced was for lower-level players.
    5) Navigation changed. People don't like change.

None of these things are critical in and of themselves, but it really threw a lot of people off, so much so that they missed the much larger implications of an open world and quest-based structure.

We feel we hit 1.3 right out of the park. We had a few missteps (you always do with such a monumental release) but we are fixing issues as quickly as they come up.

Last week everyone was still jammed in the same towne, with nothing to do but spam "FOR SALE TOTH PINK 75K" and hit NEW GAME to go to a host screen. Today Alterra is a living, breathing world... ever-expanding with more and more to do. By now you guys should realize now what we have our hands on... a platform so powerful and flexible that it really can rival the best MMO on ANY platform.
    I have to reply to this item by item because I was partly responsible for the grumbling...

1. I think you unlocked it at 4th too quickly. It only took us about a day to figure out which three quests we had to do, and it would have been OK, IMHO. Especially seeing as it only take about 5 minutes to unlock it even for a level 1. But oldies whined because they had stuff in stash and had to learn yet how to get to it.
    2. Well, yeah... It was oldies here who had already unlocked things in higher levels only to find them re-locked. Too bad the data was over-written that we had unlocked things. But that's the price of change, sometimes.
    3. Art revamp was generally cool, with the exception of the loss of some face paint, but now that we know there will be a wide variety of facial customization coming INSTEAD, that's worth it, too!
    4. Well, again it was oldies complaining here, because this was a huge fun thing for newbies. And frankly, this was a good thing. You guys make a profit only when someone buys plat. You have to make a profit. You have to have something to entice upgrading. This is very good.
    5. Another awesome thing, except for the positions of world map during play. We don't really need the world map during play, do we? This particular item is something that you depend on our heavy use and feedback to make perfect, and that's what we're doing.

Anyhow, I TOTALLY AGREE that the open world and quest-based development is the right direction. Keep up the good work.

And thanks for taking our feedback seriously. That speaks volumes about the sort of devs you are!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I was the first player to enter into 1.3 I just want to say I loved it =)

Sure it needs tweaks, just like the old content and mechanics need tweaking. They can only do so much with such a small dev team on a whole new platform with a whole new engine and such. I can only imagine this has pushed the devs beyond their know how and this has been quite a learning experience and probably a very frustrating one for them as well.

Keep up the good work guys!
    Kavanah: "Cinco, would you rather be in a Norma Jean or As I Lay Dying mosh pit?"
    Cinco: "Norma Jean, in that case /mosh"

14.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #34
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Violentsaint View Post
    i dont mind the new update, just the way they changed the look of all the weapons threw me off allot. i dunno why it was necessary.
    Graphic optimization to increase performance, allow character customization, and open up the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Customization ftw!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Graphic optimization to increase performance, allow character customization, and open up the world.
    So the weapons are going to look like playdoh forever?
    Tavore - lvl 50 archer Kravore - lvl 45 - str bear Zirin - lvl 22 Mage