Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Massively.com writer Beau Hindiman weighs in on Dark Legends Energy Mechanic

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Please note, I understand there are official feedback threads on this topic. I'm replying here, because it pertains to the linked article and the differences I have with Beau's assumptions.

I was chatting with Beau about this on twitter and I agree with him that the mechanic isn't unusual and that's it's not necessarily a bad thing. I don't think it's a "scam". I also like the story-driven campaigns, in general, and can see how they're perfectly suited for mobile devices. Those arguments don't really pertain to the actual issue, though. From that article:

If the energy becomes an issue at later levels, I do not know.
    That quote says it all. Yes, playing through the entire 1st campaign (which I consider to be the tutorial) isn't a problem. The implied assumption is that the cost of energy, per mission, never goes up. On the fourth campaign at level 10, however, where the 1st run through a cut-scene costs 5 energy (secondary runs cost 7 - 8 energy), it's a different story. The energy cost, per mission, means I can go through 3 cut scenes (which lead to a combat mission)for 15 energy, do one combat mission for 3 energy and then do one more combat mission for another 5 energy. That's 23 energy expended in just a few minutes and that's what many of us consider to be the primary problem, we burn through our energy pool too quickly! Even with increased drops (I gained 5 energy in a single combat mission), I still burn through energy too quickly to let me play PvE for longer than about 15 minutes unless I'm extraordinarily lucky with either drops or by leveling up.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ripper McGee For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

@Ripper
    You hit the nail on the head. Between cutscene missions that are starting, at level ten or so, to take Hours to complete (and you can't progress till you have ALL the missions between combat sessions completed) and the fact Energy seems to not keep up with the pace of gameplay seems ot be problimatic. Well that and the constant 'don't wanna wait, spend plat!' begger cries but meh. It is what it is.

Can always do CTF for now, but I"d love to see more energy-less options ot keep you feeling invested in the game, or letting you get a larger energy pool, or cut down on wait times or some other perk if you get referrals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper McGee View Post
    Please note, I understand there are official feedback threads on this topic. I'm replying here, because it pertains to the linked article and the differences I have with Beau's assumptions.

I was chatting with Beau about this on twitter and I agree with him that the mechanic isn't unusual and that's it's not necessarily a bad thing. I don't think it's a "scam". I also like the story-driven campaigns, in general, and can see how they're perfectly suited for mobile devices. Those arguments don't really pertain to the actual issue, though. From that article:

That quote says it all. Yes, playing through the entire 1st campaign (which I consider to be the tutorial) isn't a problem. The implied assumption is that the cost of energy, per mission, never goes up. On the fourth campaign at level 10, however, where the 1st run through a cut-scene costs 5 energy (secondary runs cost 7 - 8 energy), it's a different story. The energy cost, per mission, means I can go through 3 cut scenes (which lead to a combat mission)for 15 energy, do one combat mission for 3 energy and then do one more combat mission for another 5 energy. That's 23 energy expended in just a few minutes and that's what many of us consider to be the primary problem, we burn through our energy pool too quickly! Even with increased drops (I gained 5 energy in a single combat mission), I still burn through energy too quickly to let me play PvE for longer than about 15 minutes unless I'm extraordinarily lucky with either drops or by leveling up.