Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Massively.com writer Beau Hindiman weighs in on Dark Legends Energy Mechanic

1.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Default Massively.com writer Beau Hindiman weighs in on Dark Legends Energy Mechanic

Name:  massivelylogo.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  7.3 KB

Massively.com writer Beau Hindiman weighs in on Dark Legends Energy Mechanic in his latest MMObility article. Here's a clip:

I know this is not what you want to hear if you are a fan of Spacetime Studios and were really excited about it new title, Dark Legends, but here goes: The energy mechanic that seems to have so many players upset is really not that bad at all. See, at some point many games decided to use a limited amount of energy to fuel character actions, and once it runs out, it seems like game over. It has always been the case (ever since Farmville first made the mechanic so popular that misguided gamers thought Zynga had somehow invented it) that energy in these sorts of games refills naturally, over time, for free.

Let's not confuse things here: The energy mechanic in Dark Legends is nothing new, it's not a scam, and it does not force players to do anything. Allow me to explain...
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Please note, I understand there are official feedback threads on this topic. I'm replying here, because it pertains to the linked article and the differences I have with Beau's assumptions.

I was chatting with Beau about this on twitter and I agree with him that the mechanic isn't unusual and that's it's not necessarily a bad thing. I don't think it's a "scam". I also like the story-driven campaigns, in general, and can see how they're perfectly suited for mobile devices. Those arguments don't really pertain to the actual issue, though. From that article:

If the energy becomes an issue at later levels, I do not know.
    That quote says it all. Yes, playing through the entire 1st campaign (which I consider to be the tutorial) isn't a problem. The implied assumption is that the cost of energy, per mission, never goes up. On the fourth campaign at level 10, however, where the 1st run through a cut-scene costs 5 energy (secondary runs cost 7 - 8 energy), it's a different story. The energy cost, per mission, means I can go through 3 cut scenes (which lead to a combat mission)for 15 energy, do one combat mission for 3 energy and then do one more combat mission for another 5 energy. That's 23 energy expended in just a few minutes and that's what many of us consider to be the primary problem, we burn through our energy pool too quickly! Even with increased drops (I gained 5 energy in a single combat mission), I still burn through energy too quickly to let me play PvE for longer than about 15 minutes unless I'm extraordinarily lucky with either drops or by leveling up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ripper McGee For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

That is exactly how I feel too. At least in Farmville type games your Friends can send you energy to keep you going also if I remember correctly your energy pool increased as you leveled up. AND more importantly, you could "stash" the energy or save it for use when you needed it. Right now, for me at least, the energy drops often come when my energy pool is full resulting in a wasted drop. :-(
    IGN - LyrrLynn. Guild Master of Xplicit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

When I do PvE I can run for roughly an hour, thanks to the Energy drops from monsters. Using energy to progress through the campaign is something I'd suggest you do when you're about to logout. People are just used to the normal "run to the end of the game as fast as possible" which is not the real goal here. I really like the energy system and have no problem occupying myself when I run out.
    Last edited by Wererhino; 04-15-2012 at 04:48 PM.
    PL - Elixirs
    DL - Joe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

@Ripper
    You hit the nail on the head. Between cutscene missions that are starting, at level ten or so, to take Hours to complete (and you can't progress till you have ALL the missions between combat sessions completed) and the fact Energy seems to not keep up with the pace of gameplay seems ot be problimatic. Well that and the constant 'don't wanna wait, spend plat!' begger cries but meh. It is what it is.

Can always do CTF for now, but I"d love to see more energy-less options ot keep you feeling invested in the game, or letting you get a larger energy pool, or cut down on wait times or some other perk if you get referrals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper McGee View Post
    Please note, I understand there are official feedback threads on this topic. I'm replying here, because it pertains to the linked article and the differences I have with Beau's assumptions.

I was chatting with Beau about this on twitter and I agree with him that the mechanic isn't unusual and that's it's not necessarily a bad thing. I don't think it's a "scam". I also like the story-driven campaigns, in general, and can see how they're perfectly suited for mobile devices. Those arguments don't really pertain to the actual issue, though. From that article:

That quote says it all. Yes, playing through the entire 1st campaign (which I consider to be the tutorial) isn't a problem. The implied assumption is that the cost of energy, per mission, never goes up. On the fourth campaign at level 10, however, where the 1st run through a cut-scene costs 5 energy (secondary runs cost 7 - 8 energy), it's a different story. The energy cost, per mission, means I can go through 3 cut scenes (which lead to a combat mission)for 15 energy, do one combat mission for 3 energy and then do one more combat mission for another 5 energy. That's 23 energy expended in just a few minutes and that's what many of us consider to be the primary problem, we burn through our energy pool too quickly! Even with increased drops (I gained 5 energy in a single combat mission), I still burn through energy too quickly to let me play PvE for longer than about 15 minutes unless I'm extraordinarily lucky with either drops or by leveling up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Personally I have no problem with the new (to STS games) energy system. You just have to learn to work with it. I have 7 characters and I'm finding that I don't have enough time in the day to keep all of them active. I think 3 or 4 characters would be an ideal balance.

I have other issues (which I will put in a thread specific to them) but I appreciate this change - it requires some new thought and techniques and it was about time to shake some things up. +1 STS!

Edit: My guild co-host from PL/SL has 3 characters (soon to be 4), plays a bit more than I do and is finding it to be a good balance.
    Last edited by n00b13st; 04-16-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Add'l info
    2.718281828459045235360287471352662497757247093699 95957496696762772407663035354759457138217852516642 74274663919320030599218174135966290435729003342952 60595630738132328

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

I'm in the Market Subway and have had no problem energy. I have enough to do quests I have not and often some left to fit in an old quest for extra xp and rewards. Then I'll either log off or play some pvp and log off and check on the timer later, where my energy is full. If there wasn't a long timer I would probably be rushing through the game, but when waiting on those 12hr to 1d timers, my energy is always full each time I log in, so I redo old quests. Then I still have time left to play some PL and not often at all but maybe even SL if you're a fan of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

IMO once you get used to the energy system and start getting the extra drops (nice by way) it seems to work well for me.
    I work alot and have a family so it doesn't stress me as much either with all that said. It does however leave me with some time
    to chat and not just grind which is a nice bonus. When left with grinding alone I believe I would get tired rather quickly.
    I would like to see guilds come in to play though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well there is a positive to the missions that make you wait. Log in. Pop a few of those. Log out and go about your day. Come back and you get money, experiance, possable buffs to use in combat...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    Name:  massivelylogo.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  7.3 KB

Massively.com writer Beau Hindiman weighs in on Dark Legends Energy Mechanic in his latest MMObility article. Here's a clip:

I hope you don't count this one guys opinion as having more weight than the many players who are unhappy with having their game play restricted just because he writes for a magazine.

On 3 separate threads I have asked for an explanation as to the ADVANTAGE of having an energy mechanic to restrict gameplay and haven't recieved one yet. This will be the fourth. I read where Justg said it helped pace the game and to bring you back to town to socialize. Please explain how it does this? If someone wants to play at their own pace or socialize in town couldn't they do both without having energy restrictions?

12.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #11
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robert7204 View Post
    I hope you don't count this one guys opinion as having more weight than the many players who are unhappy with having their game play restricted just because he writes for a magazine.

On 3 separate threads I have asked for an explanation as to the ADVANTAGE of having an energy mechanic to restrict gameplay and haven't recieved one yet. This will be the fourth. I read where Justg said it helped pace the game and to bring you back to town to socialize. Please explain how it does this? If someone wants to play at their own pace or socialize in town couldn't they do both without having energy restrictions?
    Hey Robert,

I'm sorry that you're not able to play at your own pace in Dark Legends. When you're out of energy and looking around for other things to do, going to town to socialize and pvp are put in front of the user (on the interface that pops up informing about the need for more energy to continue). I don't know what else to really say about energy to address your concerns. At the end of the day, it won't be for everyone. It's ok if it's not for you. We still <3 <3 you.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    Hey Robert,

I'm sorry that you're not able to play at your own pace in Dark Legends. When you're out of energy and looking around for other things to do, going to town to socialize and pvp are put in front of the user (on the interface that pops up informing about the need for more energy to continue). I don't know what else to really say about energy to address your concerns. At the end of the day, it won't be for everyone. It's ok if it's not for you. We still <3 <3 you.
    I'm still going to give it a try when it becomes available for iOS but I still don't understand what the purpose of it is. haha. Wouldn't you be able to socialize and pvp without energy restrictions?

P.S. Love you too. <3
    PPS I just had an epic idea "vampire oyster". The rest I'll leave up to you.

Akihabara Denki Gai (Home of all the OTAKUS! XD)- Tokyo, Japan :)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

I totally disagree with beau's article it makes me sad to see STS following the path of games like Mafia Wars.

At least if you guys wanted to use an energy system make it increase by 1 per lv like Mafia Wars.

Not make it stay at the same as i lv up and by the time im at Marshwood where some actions costs 9 energy, i can only initiate 2 actions and wait 10 mins for 2 more energy to initiate one more action.

It just seems to me that the higher lv you are, the more you are at a disadvantage due to the increased energy cost but same max energy.

Its just my opinion coming from my perspective though.

Different people might have different opinions on this energy system.
    Last edited by HunterSLAYER; 05-05-2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: some spelling mistakes

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterSLAYER For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

The most you wait to run a level is 15 minutes. Also, extra energy drops on runs fairly often. I love the energy system. I can still level even if I don't have time to sit down and play for an a couple hours.

Part of the game is managing energy. If you know how to do it, you shouldn't have any down time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm in agreement with HunterSLAYER.

Other mobile games I play such as Life Is Crime, allows for an increase in energy when you level up. The increase in energy reserves should be proportionate to the level you're at, however. Example: 0 level character going to level 1 would receive 1pt, giving them 26pts. to work with until level 5. At lvl. 5 you start gaining Milestone energy powers. For every 5 levels you reach you gain 5pts of energy. If my math is correct, at level 20 you'll have an energy pool of 100. When Milestone level lvl. 20 is achieved you'll gain 10 energy pts. for every 5 lvls. of Milestone achievement. This maximum increase is in understanding from other posts that the higher levels are draining reserves much quicker than lower levels.
    Furthermore, to borrow from another post, higher level vamps could recharge reserves, overtime, without the need to visit the Sanctuary (as being pushed on us). The logic here is, (delving into vampiric lore) higher level i.e older vamps understand their power's far better and use them more efficiently than newly turned vamps. We're playing as vampires! Not some super soldier in a bionic exo-suit or a mage who exhausts mana.

I don't need nor want to be forced into "chilling" at a social hub if I don't want to for "restorative purposes". [Especially] if none of my friends or Guildmates are online. I play games to advance my character's status and powers. Some may argue what I wrote pits elite players against non-elite players. I don't see it that way. If a player is willing to invest the time, effort, and resources into a game they enjoy playing, then the reciprocity factor should be on equal terms. The character's powers/abilities should also be equal to it's level.

Thank you for listening.