Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ripper's definition of F2P - how does it apply to Dark Legends?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

At level 21, the legendaries you get from 3d-missions should be the same as the strongest plat-gear.
    Cjon - Lvl 21!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otukura View Post
    Then why post? It's a interesting discussions, go back to your bridge.
    I was hoping for an interesting discussion,thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

I have played to level 20 and the game does seem a little light on actual content, however, I am happy that it does not require a huge amount of time and that the small amount of content is entertaining for the amount of time spent playing it. This game did help me to realize that I have a compulsive spending problem though.
    Growwle - My guess is 1050

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

FYI, I've hit 20, have removed all plat gear (I only had a level 16 firebrand and level 12 gem, anyway) and am still doing great in PvP. That brings up another issue, though: is spending money required to succeed in PvP, not necessarily for gear, but for respecs? If I'm playing against somebody who hasn't paid to respec, chances are I'm going to succeed where they will fail... That actually makes me question point #3 more than gear purchases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper McGee:629615
    FYI, I've hit 20, have removed all plat gear (I only had a level 16 firebrand and level 12 gem, anyway) and am still doing great in PvP. That brings up another issue, though: is spending money required to succeed in PvP, not necessarily for gear, but for respecs? If I'm playing against somebody who hasn't paid to respec, chances are I'm going to succeed where they will fail... That actually makes me question point #3 more than gear purchases.
    I think that the random zombies and inability to use blood packs somewhat makes up for poor gear / builds. The worst part is when people leave the fight and one side ends up with more players.
    Growwle - My guess is 1050

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper McGee View Post
    If at lvl 20 your spec isn't 6-7 points in abilities (lvl 1 vermin swarm, lvl 1 fatal burst, lvl 1 leap, lvl 1 Unholy Force/Shadow Dance/Hellblade, and prereqs), you will lose to any lvl 20 with this build if they have any more then 20% of their health left. The FB+VS+Leap combo is disgustingly overpowered, which is the main problem right now, but plat gear makes the difference between instant killing/not instant killing or instantly dying/surviving. Without enough survivability, once they get their FB off, you WILL die before you have the chance to react.
    Cjon - Lvl 21!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cjon View Post
    If at lvl 20 your spec isn't 6-7 points in abilities (lvl 1 vermin swarm, lvl 1 fatal burst, lvl 1 leap, lvl 1 Unholy Force/Shadow Dance/Hellblade, and prereqs), you will lose to any lvl 20 with this build if they have any more then 20% of their health left. The FB+VS+Leap combo is disgustingly overpowered, which is the main problem right now, but plat gear makes the difference between instant killing/not instant killing or instantly dying/surviving. Without enough survivability, once they get their FB off, you WILL die before you have the chance to react.
    Oh yeah, that combo is strictly gear based. Is someone has better plat gear than another plat geared player the one-shoot combo will still insta kill you. Although, that combo will only work on someone you out gear, there are a lot of guys pvping with in-game gear using that build and they are getting pwnned by the guys in plat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blaquehaaart View Post
    that combo will only work on someone you out gear
    Not true. The combo itself will only kill someone you out gear, but if you get it off on someone of equal gear, it still almost guarantees a victory. Its still the most amount of damage you can do, and it disables for a long time, giving you time to auto-attack. And if they're still not dead you have enough of an health advantage over them, that you will be able to finish them off with ease.
    Cjon - Lvl 21!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cjon View Post
    Not true. The combo itself will only kill someone you out gear, but if you get it off on someone of equal gear, it still almost guarantees a victory. Its still the most amount of damage you can do, and it disables for a long time, giving you time to auto-attack. And if they're still not dead you have enough of an health advantage over them, that you will be able to finish them off with ease.
    Haha...yeah, it pretty much is an "I win" button. It's vs/fb are such a lame play style though, and so boring to play...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blaquehaaart View Post
    Haha...yeah, it pretty much is an "I win" button. It's vs/fb are such a lame play style though, and so boring to play...
    Yes, but its better than getting 2 kills and 47 deaths every game.
    Cjon - Lvl 21!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by morfic View Post
    Pay-to-win isn't a term that ensures automatic victory through items.

Pay-to-win is just a term that was coined from being able to by the best equipment with money. People who put little to no effort into their gear, now have the possibility to perform just as well as people who did. It just belittles the work others have put in for those same (or worse) stats on gear.

My experience has been that skill, experience, reflexes and fast thinking are more important. Buying premium gear helps but doesn't make you a star player. I think it actually tends to weaken you, much like power leveling someone who hasn't already played their way to top level - if you can't do it the hard way, you're not as good of a player.

Admittedly I don't PvP, mostly because it seems a great way to make enemies and hard feelings, so I'm only speaking from a PvE point of view.
    2.718281828459045235360287471352662497757247093699 95957496696762772407663035354759457138217852516642 74274663919320030599218174135966290435729003342952 60595630738132328

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It is pay to win. Take out the skill variable, because that makes for an irrelevant comparison. If you have two people with at same skill level and the only difference is equipment, who do you think wins - Plat gear guy or poor man's gear guy? Of course the rich guy who paid for the best gear. It is true that buying gear won't make you a great player, but what if you're a great player and you decide to buy gear? You'll just be unstoppable! If people wish to spend their hard earned money to have an edge on the competition, more power to them!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Now that in-game gear is comparable to plat gear, can anybody really argue that DL is pay-to-win? It seems like the game meets all three of my criteria for being a true F2P.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Yep, still pay-to-win.

Your criteria doesn't actually make it a true F2P... Just what YOU consider F2P.

It's P2W in my opinion, and everyone else will have a different opinion on F2P or P2W.

Let's make it SPARKLE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

I define "winning" as getting all achievements. DL has plat achievements so it's doesn't meet your definition.

However, my opinion of your definition is that #3 is wrong. Everyone else says that only need to be able to reach cap for free.

If we all start defining terms our own way, pretty soon we won't understand what each other means.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts

I am one of the best players you can meet in-game, but I get creamed in PvP it's not even fun lol.
    A true Star Legend...
    |SL: Eng-Artstar, Op-Demoneyes, Comm-Skullflower|

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by morfic View Post
    Yep, still pay-to-win.

Your criteria doesn't actually make it a true F2P... Just what YOU consider F2P.

It's P2W in my opinion, and everyone else will have a different opinion on F2P or P2W.
    Obviously it's my opinion, hence the thread title. Why do you consider it P2W, especially considering the pink in-game items are now the equivalent of the plat items?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    If we all start defining terms our own way, pretty soon we won't understand what each other means.
    Hence what I consider a need for a good, fairly simply definition of what F2P really means from a marketing perspective. I'm not saying my definition is perfect, but it's the most comprehensive definition I've seen which is why I posted it for discussion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

double-post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper McGee View Post
    Hence what I consider a need for a good, fairly simply definition of what F2P really means from a marketing perspective. I'm not saying my definition is perfect, but it's the most comprehensive definition I've seen which is why I posted it for discussion.
    I do agree that it would be good to have one definition of the term F2P. I think you are being too restrictive. To me, and I bet to most of the people who use the term, it does not mean that plat gear has to be inferior to gear that drops. I do like it that way, but it's not part of the definition of F2P.

For most people, I think it just has to be possible to reach level cap for free.