Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guide Wars Solution

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
    One of us could make an unofficial wikia, Sam could review it, then sticky it in every section?

The problem is that people make hasty, unfinished "work in progress" guides to gain popularity.
    I've never made a guide in my PL life and I'm still pretty awesome B)

Unless anyone wants a guide for counting the pixels in every model in game, I'd say that pl is pretty much covered I terms of guides.
    Not only unfinished work, but they also don't do thread maintenance. They create a thread and never once do they even view its comments. Or fix it when updates make it out of date. We dont need guides that become obsolete in a day. Low level pvp will be around forever. (note to self: put link to your own guide here and advertise it on every thread)
    Last edited by Entertaining; 05-24-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

The wiki idea is AMAZING, would get rid of the rep issue and be an easily accessible information source

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

I remember way back in the day when I first started playing in Dec 2010 (Alien Oasis was level cap), I had no idea what I was doing during AO3: Victory Lap! I would sometimes get fortunate and get good team members, but a lot of times my teammates would be as clueless as I was (i.e. Why did Gurgox kill us all again???). All I wanted good drops for good money, so I decided to write down on Microsoft Notepad some tricks and details and what factors made certain runs much much faster than others. This Notepad file grew pretty big, and I thought other people might find it useful, especially when they are as clueless as I was when I first started. This is when I decided to create my first guide for the STS community. Then I realized my archer sucked, and I couldn't find any recent guides on archer builds. I went back to my Notepad and tried to figure out what worked best for me and for my team members. This notepad grew to be quite a large document as well, so that's when I created my Archer guide.

To be honest, guide-making shouldn't be a race or a popularity contest or something you want people to applaud and say "marvelous guide!" Guides should be made primarily to disseminate information that is essentially novel and useful to the public. I emphasize novel specifically because new information is always better than known information. Or, a guide can be created to categorize known information into a much easier to read/understand format. And a great guide will ALWAYS take forever and a half to create. I know Yanis has spent the same countless hours I have, sometimes 20-30+ hours on one thread/guide just to perfect it. It's somewhat of an OCD problem that we both have.

This should not deter anyone from creating any documentation, whether it be a guide, a list of items, or simple pointers on the STS forums. But before you decide you want to create one, ask yourself - is this brand new information that can really help people, or is it something that seems to be common sense? Will this information help answer a lot of questions that the general public may have?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Physiologic For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    I remember way back in the day when I first started playing in Dec 2010 (Alien Oasis was level cap), I had no idea what I was doing during AO3: Victory Lap! I would sometimes get fortunate and get good team members, but a lot of times my teammates would be as clueless as I was (i.e. Why did Gurgox kill us all again???). All I wanted good drops for good money, so I decided to write down on Microsoft Notepad some tricks and details and what factors made certain runs much much faster than others. This Notepad file grew pretty big, and I thought other people might find it useful, especially when they are as clueless as I was when I first started. This is when I decided to create my first guide for the STS community. Then I realized my archer sucked, and I couldn't find any recent guides on archer builds. I went back to my Notepad and tried to figure out what worked best for me and for my team members. This notepad grew to be quite a large document as well, so that's when I created my Archer guide.

To be honest, guide-making shouldn't be a race or a popularity contest or something you want people to applaud and say "marvelous guide!" Guides should be made primarily to disseminate information that is essentially novel and useful to the public. I emphasize novel specifically because new information is always better than known information. Or, a guide can be created to categorize known information into a much easier to read/understand format. And a great guide will ALWAYS take forever and a half to create. I know Yanis has spent the same countless hours I have, sometimes 20-30+ hours on one thread/guide just to perfect it. It's somewhat of an OCD problem that we both have.

This should not deter anyone from creating any documentation, whether it be a guide, a list of items, or simple pointers on the STS forums. But before you decide you want to create one, ask yourself - is this brand new information that can really help people, or is it something that seems to be common sense? Will this information help answer a lot of questions that the general public may have?
    And he's back! Yay! Stick around!
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

a previous game i played used wikispaces which i liked, idk, if someone would like to start anywhere that could be nice