Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone else notice this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zeusabe:665859
    Remember this equation? x^2 + y^2 = r^2 , in case you don't or you still haven't encountered it, this is your basic equation of a circle. If you go back to your geometry history, you would find there that the only reason why the perfect circle can never exist is because one would need to draw a circle (or any shape for that matter) down to its smallest size (your quarks or subatomic particles), nobody has gone that far I think, and even if someone did, as technology advances, man will find smaller units over and over so in effect there will never be an end to the search for that perfect circle. If I'm not mistaken, don't quote me, the most perfect circle was made out of particle waves but that is not even considered the "perfect" because there are smaller units that particles (subatomic particles), but it's as perfect as it gets today, maybe next few years, someone can measure a perfect circle on subatomic level, but maybe when that day comes, a smaller unit has been discovered (mega super subatomic quark or something). The point is, the theory on shapes doesn't suggest that the perfect circle doesn't exist because the "roundest looking object has miniscule straight lines...", nope, in fact, it's suggesting that there is, it's just that the technology cannot comprehend it yet. For the record, just for technicality's sake, the word "perfect" cannot be applied on a geometrical shape, that will never exist because of the same theory as the perfect circle. In summary, existence is not being questioned, the ruler is just not efficient yet, think about it.

PS: Agree on topic, disagree on real life comparison.
    In a theoretical world, yes that equation would prove me wrong, however I am speaking of a real life scenario. Like you said, there can never be a perfect circle due to the ever expanding knowledge of sub-atomic particles.

"Annie are you okay? Are you okay? Are you okay Annie?" - The King of Pop, Michael Jackson
    Down With the Rep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

OMG what a topic! can i join? do you know that circle has one point more than a line? hehehe

Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules. J. D. Salinger The Catcher in the Rye
    Primary IGN: Elfwarden

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

@WoundedEagle

Go back and read your own post (#6). My post is neither better nor worse than yours when it comes to being "rude".

To use your own words: thin skin is thin.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Coming back to topic, a quick google search:

Texture mapped 3d character models. The left most one looks pretty good; not too many obvious flat surfaces.

Underneath though, it's a whole bunch of flat triangles.

If you look carefully at PL's 3D models, it's very obvious (to me, at least) that the number of triangles used is actually very, very low.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    They are there indeed. They're rounded panels. They come together to try and appear as a cone shape, but it isn't perfectly round.
    If you notice, I never said anything here was perfectly round, but rather listed things that were round in the game.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

I am amazed that Livemau's thread caused constructive discussion.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Now I'm curious. Do any of you consider the following picture to be "round"?

Because I guarantee that if you are able to get a bird's eye view of witches hat, brawer's brew, etc. you'll see a polygon like the above instead of a "round" shape. Again, this is due to using triangles to apporximate cones, cylinders, and circles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Wounded, pixel density comes into play. On the high res screens of the iPhone 4, 4S and iPad 3, the edges appear more curved because the pixels are packed more closely together.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

OKAY I'M SURE THIS INFORMATION IS BENEFICIAL TO ALTERRAN KIND... YOU'RE GONNA BE AOA OR GOA FOR POSTING THIS...
    -Sarcasm- -Cough Cough- -Wait am I still coughing?- -Er yeah.. That was sarcasm-

If practice makes perfect and perfection is impossible, why practice?
    Oh, wait... No need to practice. iHax.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zeusabe View Post
    Remember this equation? x^2 + y^2 = r^2 , in case you don't or you still haven't encountered it, this is your basic equation of a circle. If you go back to your geometry history, you would find there that the only reason why the perfect circle can never exist is because one would need to draw a circle (or any shape for that matter) down to its smallest size (your quarks or subatomic particles), nobody has gone that far I think, and even if someone did, as technology advances, man will find smaller units over and over so in effect there will never be an end to the search for that perfect circle. If I'm not mistaken, don't quote me, the most perfect circle was made out of particle waves but that is not even considered the "perfect" because there are smaller units that particles (subatomic particles), but it's as perfect as it gets today, maybe next few years, someone can measure a perfect circle on subatomic level, but maybe when that day comes, a smaller unit has been discovered (mega super subatomic quark or something). The point is, the theory on shapes doesn't suggest that the perfect circle doesn't exist because the "roundest looking object has miniscule straight lines...", nope, in fact, it's suggesting that there is, it's just that the technology cannot comprehend it yet. For the record, just for technicality's sake, the word "perfect" cannot be applied on a geometrical shape, that will never exist because of the same theory as the perfect circle. In summary, existence is not being questioned, the ruler is just not efficient yet, think about it.

PS: Agree on topic, disagree on real life comparison.
    Erm.... That looks like a2+b2=c2
    Which is like... Triangles... Which is like... Not round... What formula are you talking about? Euler's method thingy majig? That equation is much longer lol...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noodleleg View Post
    Erm.... That looks like a2+b2=c2
    Which is like... Triangles... Which is like... Not round... What formula are you talking about? Euler's method thingy majig? That equation is much longer lol...
    It's called Cartesian Coordinate System. It's the simplified version of (x-h)^2+ (y-k)^2 = r^2, where h and k are the x,y coordinates, and r as the radius. You can also use trigonometric functions (cos,sin,tan) but this is the one I'm more familiar with. I hope I didn't embarrass you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Can we all just agree the graphics aren't that great... and they're not too bad, but hey, we're playing a game designed for a cell phone!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ixillicus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zeusabe View Post
    It's called Cartesian Coordinate System. It's the simplified version of (x-h)^2+ (y-k)^2 = r^2, where h and k are the x,y coordinates, and r as the radius. You can also use trigonometric functions (cos,sin,tan) but this is the one I'm more familiar with. I hope I didn't embarrass you.
    Ohhhhh... Why give me the simplified version lol... That makes much more sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts

why is this even a discussions?

What, should we spend 500 platinum so we can get a "round" shield, instead of a polygon constructed shield that looks 99% round? ha ha ha

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Ohhhhh... Why give me the simplified version lol... That makes much more sense.
    Don't act like u got it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

btw for tose who dont believe look at a balloon in nuris hallows or the handle of your sword or wand or staff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ixillicus View Post
    Can we all just agree the graphics aren't that great... and they're not too bad, but hey, we're playing a game designed for a cell phone!
    GET OUT OF HERE!!! Its getting interesting

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mackjack View Post
    Now I'm curious. Do any of you consider the following picture to be "round"?

Because I guarantee that if you are able to get a bird's eye view of witches hat, brawer's brew, etc. you'll see a polygon like the above instead of a "round" shape. Again, this is due to using triangles to apporximate cones, cylinders, and circles.
    I was referring to the cone on top of the hat which is cylindrical.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Wounded, pixel density comes into play. On the high res screens of the iPhone 4, 4S and iPad 3, the edges appear more curved because the pixels are packed more closely together.
    That's what I have been trying to say -_-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dudetus View Post
    Don't act like u got it
    I'm Asian

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

I'm Asian
    Oh...

Name:  hawkward.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  97.0 KB