Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: How rare is too rare? What do you think about crazy rare stuff?

1.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Default How rare is too rare? What do you think about crazy rare stuff?

Hey gang,

We've been reading feedback about the recently added Dragon Vanity Armor and wanted to gauge your feedback of just how rare do you think something like that should be? Should everyone be able to get it, with enough farming? How do you feel about walking into town and hardly ever seeing anyone wearing a rare piece like the Dragon Vanities?

Can you give us an example of something that feels "right" to your concept of how the game should work?

Thanks, as always, for your feedback!
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

I would say something is too rare when you go to 12 townes and MAYBE see 1 piece of a set (dragon drops). Imo a good rarity would be going into your average full towne and seeing like 3-5 pieces. If you get what i'm saying.

"Annie are you okay? Are you okay? Are you okay Annie?" - The King of Pop, Michael Jackson
    Down With the Rep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

In my opinion ,make the helm more challenging to farm while the armour vanity easier to farm :B.
    FEEL THE CAT POWER MEOOWWWW!!!~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    Hey gang,

We've been reading feedback about the recently added Dragon Vanity Armor and wanted to gauge your feedback of just how rare do you think something like that should be? Should everyone be able to get it, with enough farming? How do you feel about walking into town and hardly ever seeing anyone wearing a rare piece like the Dragon Vanities?

Can you give us an example of something that feels "right" to your concept of how the game should work?

I have been playing PL since June of 2011 and I have never amassed enough money to the pros of PL millions and millions (I just recently won a contest to the gratitude of Fluffandstuff thz ). It will always be out of my price range considering I play all 3 STS games and have not focused on one in particular.

IMO: is the following...
    Being the casual player of PL i would like my items to be in Plat store with NO additional stats. But vanity's so I can look different at anytime time. even with low level toons that I have. Now the best in the game ALWAYS has to be earned these vanity's are an example, once earned people can understand that that was not easy to come by. Appreciation is never bought but always earned.
    Last edited by octavos; 06-05-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=54483&dateline=131136  6901
    PL-Ghosts | SL-DL-AL- Ghost | SL-DL-AL-Octavos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Since the announcement of the new Dragon Armor vanities, I have ran two toons from levels 58 up to 66 and have yet to see the new Dragon vanity drop for ANYONE in our party. The sets provide a good bonus, but if there is never a chance of even obtaining one piece, much less the entire set it can be a bit discouraging. I have only seen one person in the game with a red set. Everyone else I have seen is wearing the plat version of the set--and no one I have talked to has even seen the drop. I feel as if I spend a lot of time farming with my dragon pets equipped, using the luck elixir, and bigger luck and still haven't even seen the drop...begins to make you wonder if they even exist.

At the moment I do feel as if they are a little too rare, and once the initial excitement over trying to get one passes all that is left is discouraged players. Very similar to the bunny ears back during Easter--at first it was so rare everyone just got a little mad they couldn't get the drop. Once the drop rate was adjusted--I still wasn't lucky enough to get a drop myself but at least saw my friends getting them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shree For This Useful Post:

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

I personally think the best rarity implementation in the game was the Vyxnaar helm. It was a great balance between high number of occurrences and the low probability of a "win". This of course is referring to the level 25 Vyxnaar, where as the level 50 Vynaar got it backwards.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FluffNStuff For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    313 Posts

It's a fine line between something being too rare, and not rare enough.

I'm not sure whats up with the drop rates in nuris now, but it seemed like they were just about right when nuris was the cap.(I'm referring to the set pieces and crafting mats for demonic. Not the non set pinks.)

I think it's a good idea to throw in super rare items, like the dragon vanity, from time to time. Or, something like "green ice", and vyxnaar helms .Keeps the community interested.
    gf.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walkhardd View Post
    It's a fine line between something being too rare, and not rare enough.

I'm not sure whats up with the drop rates in nuris now, but it seemed like they were just about right when nuris was the cap.(I'm referring to the set pieces and crafting mats for demonic. Not the non set pinks.)

I think it's a good idea to throw in super rare items, like the dragon vanity, from time to time. Or, something like "green ice", and vyxnaar helms .Keeps the community interested.
    totally agree

keep it the way it is... simply super rare

most ppl already have the same look bv of their sets!

so those ppl who could effort dragon sets or even pieces or might b lucky enough to loot any should proudly show them ....

note: im not one of those ...not now and probably not in future
    Last edited by deviousdemon; 06-05-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Devious [lvl77 mage] IDEVI [lvl77 bird] Famosity [lvl77 bear] and sum moar...

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

I'm fine with the rarity of Dragon items.

Will they be dropping in Humania also? Or will people have to stick to Fang if they want to farm it?

Glyphic Blade Steels (and basically all Nuri pinks), on the other hand, are too rare
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

I think too rare is discouraging, especially for those who use platinum elixirs to farm.

It should be a balance between challenge and reward.

So, essentially, I think Dragon Drop rates should be bumped up, but still to the point where they are lower drop rate than the premium pinks but a noticeable increase in drop rate percentage.

Same thing goes for Nuri's drops IMO.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

13. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

In my opinion dragon vanity items drop rate is little bit too low at the moment, but not much. I would see as good suggestion bumb up dragon vanitys little bit and nuri drops with huge hammer(jk, not too much but maybe same as dragons now)
    Pocket legends: Eagle (Endgame Bird), Magic (endgame mage), Getnuked (voodoo mage)
    Star legends: Eng (Engineer), Rapid (operative)
    Dark legends: Sucker (vampire queen)

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I think the only reason it costs so much n alot of ppl want is cuz its rare, if it beacme an item u could go n get with hardly any effort thn its popularity would go down, yea it looks cool but i say keep it the way it is, if u have to raise its probability jst a TINY tiny bit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Too rare is when you run for three hours and get nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    Hey gang,

i think its too rare. ive only seen someone name fauken (i think) and he has red armor helm and argos. he probably bought or looted. idk but its difficult for me bcus i havent farmed it lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

It'd be nice to have a variety of somewhat rare, rare, and super rare items. That way, someone getting a lucky super rare drop van be excited, but casual players can still get something cool. I would prefer if there were no super rare items though, because I'm lazy lol

Chronicler of Alterra nazgulking's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

IMHO the drop rate in ao3 was the best. You had to make some runs to get a full set but, for a casual player, still obtainable through some farming. I think there should be some items to be super rare to keep the hardcore farmers occupied.
    In short for campaign pinks use ao3 drop rate, for recipes and components make their drop rate a tad lower than the campaign pinks, for premium pinks (ice green, dragon set...) make the drop rate the same of the lvl 25 Vyxnaar helm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Default How rare is too rare? What do you think about crazy rare stuff?

I think the gold dragon should be 5mil or sound there not like 20mil. I go around town seeing people sell the blue dragon for 10mil think make it 500k-1m that's better.

"...And may the odds be ever in your favor." ~Effie Trinket

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    I think too rare is discouraging, especially for those who use platinum elixirs to farm.

It should be a balance between challenge and reward.

So, essentially, I think Dragon Drop rates should be bumped up, but still to the point where they are lower drop rate than the premium pinks but a noticeable increase in drop rate percentage.

Same thing goes for Nuri's drops IMO.
    Precisely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Nuri's crafting materials & Glyph pinks....

And as for the dragon thing I haven't seen one drop or anyone I run with hasn't seen it drop... I mean it's cool to get instant rich off a drop but yeah it looks like its going to take an insane amount of time and money to get this dragon set (including the pet and prob lots of luck elixir) ... I don't mind it being this hard because it's a special vanity unlike every single item in Nuri's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Agreed with Apollo. I play for at least 5-6 hours a day (mostly farming) and have never seen one drop nor seen anyone wearing a set. I like rare but ppl having to switch toons because one alone can't hold enough money to buy one peice?! Too rare.