Thread: Difficulty Level Idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Difficulty Level Idea

Ok, so in light of the recent swamps discussion I had an idea - have each campaign have multiple levels of difficulty. Yes, you've heard that before, but here's the kicker - only the harder levels have the rare items. I mean, if you're gonna be taking a cakewalk, you don't need a pink item. However, if you're fighting godmode hard enemies, you're gonna need all the pinks you can get. So it flows right into the idea that pinks can only be acquired on the harder difficulties and the people who just want to beat the game on cakewalk mode will, but they won't have epic items.

Flaimdude: Lvl31 Mage Flaimer: Lvl15 Arch Flaimior: Lvl14 Bear
    "If you're not careful asommers will catch up to you lol" ~Royce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

what a good idea.
    My Name is Vulgarstrike, SilentCries, Ordinary, Attractive, Investment
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    you should be able to have some fun
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnInfinity View Post
    Ahhhhhh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

I like the idea, and it would have worked really well with the old host/join system. The game creator could choose a difficulty, and it could be displayed on the join screen. The only problems I can see are related to the new ways of joining games through the magic portals or from the "go to" button in the quests menu. How would those methods determine the level of difficulty to send you to? Maybe a user preference, or maybe just default to normal or easy or whatever.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I love the idea... Love it... It would work... And the rare pinks only drop in the harder version...
    Brilliant, Flaim, brilliant.

And vulgar? In your other post where you said, "Pi$$ off," I was crying I was laughing so hard...that was awesome!
    Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling. ~ Thoreau
    FURRAWN 45 Paladin ButterflyPoet 45 pure dex ScarlettOHara 45 Intbear Jeannedarc 22 Mage Trickortreat lvl 22 100% pure organic chicken Christmastree 13 Mage

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    I like the idea, and it would have worked really well with the old host/join system. The game creator could choose a difficulty, and it could be displayed on the join screen. The only problems I can see are related to the new ways of joining games through the magic portals or from the "go to" button in the quests menu. How would those methods determine the level of difficulty to send you to? Maybe a user preference, or maybe just default to normal or easy or whatever.
    The quests goto should always be the normal mode, as those are designed to get new players interested in the game. These hardcore modes should not be avaliable till after perhaps completion of a number of quests, or at least unlocking of all normal mode levels. So to unlock A02:1 hard core, you need to complete AO2:1-6 regular. The host / join should of course have a selector, and perhaps a user preference for the 'Quick Game' button.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Furrawn View Post
    I love the idea... Love it... It would work... And the rare pinks only drop in the harder version...
    Brilliant, Flaim, brilliant.

And vulgar? In your other post where you said, "Pi$$ off," I was crying I was laughing so hard...that was awesome!
    Yeah, Vulgar, I didn't want to commend you for using an unwise way of stating what you said, but I want to say THANK YOU for stating it.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds great I'm on board. I'm not sure about having to unlock the more difficult mode though. I may be misunderstanding, but I wouldn't want to have to play through the easy one just to get where I want to go...

Great solution in response to the Swamp thread.

Maybe the harder versions of the levels could have stricter player level requirements?
    Last edited by Aspergillus; 08-23-2010 at 05:39 PM.
    Aspergillus - lvl 46 dex mage
    Sarcophilus - lvl 45 str bear
    Spirochete - lvl 40 int mage FireflyHunter - lvl 30 Paladin KermittheFrog - lvl 45 int bear SugarCoockie - lvl 29 bow bear NeedCoffee - lvl 22 int archer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    The quests goto should always be the normal mode, as those are designed to get new players interested in the game. These hardcore modes should not be avaliable till after perhaps completion of a number of quests, or at least unlocking of all normal mode levels. So to unlock A02:1 hard core, you need to complete AO2:1-6 regular. The host / join should of course have a selector, and perhaps a user preference for the 'Quick Game' button.
    I agree... But I think normal should be normal not easy.
    Why not all three preferences? EASY NORMAL HARD
    Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling. ~ Thoreau
    FURRAWN 45 Paladin ButterflyPoet 45 pure dex ScarlettOHara 45 Intbear Jeannedarc 22 Mage Trickortreat lvl 22 100% pure organic chicken Christmastree 13 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why not just release a 12 level campaign that increasingly gets harder and makes each class do what it should do better according to the gear they pick up a long the way?

Say you have 3 pts to this campaign each with 4 levels around the same difficulty. So you would have 4 levels of a medium level of difficulty and you would have to farm there to be effective in going through the next 4 levels which would be of a hard level of difficulty and the final 4 would be of very hard difficulty level, where only the players who have the top pinks from the previous 4 levels would be able to join partys in that part.

Each level could drop a certain type of armor or weapon. For instance lvl 1 would have armor, lvl 2 helms, lvl 3 weapons, lvl 4 shields, for each class. Then you would have gear that could give tanks better tanking ability, damage dealers better damage, and supporters better support.

Throw in a series of quests that follows a good storyline for that campaign, with some pretty nice rewards, not so much gear, but maybe an extra character slot, or an added +20hp or +30 mana? Maybe a name engravement on an item. Maybe a secret level's access?

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by kavanah; 08-23-2010 at 05:44 PM.
    Kavanah: "Cinco, would you rather be in a Norma Jean or As I Lay Dying mosh pit?"
    Cinco: "Norma Jean, in that case /mosh"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I reckon that this i a fantastic idea because it allows player to run solo if they want to....... Two fairly major problems though.

1. Think about the affect on the myners gen.

2. Now kills will be so easy to farm they wont be worth anything.

Just putting em out there
    [ENG] Cyronius - 30 [OP] Cyronios - 25 [COM] Cyronias - 11
    Yes, I'm a ninja

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Kills are already easy to farm, and meaningless (The 2nd biggest problem with the Tombs of Mynas is the ease of kill farming). They could either keep a seperate tally for hardcore mode kills, or just do nothing, since the good players already know for the most part kills mean nothing.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

When leader boards come out kills WILL mean something but yeah, maby the first three lvls in a campain would have all two options then the second two only have normal and hard and the last three only have the hard option. reckon that would work?
    [ENG] Cyronius - 30 [OP] Cyronios - 25 [COM] Cyronias - 11
    Yes, I'm a ninja

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow, that's a lot of encouraging feedback! And my original thought for the difficulty level system would be an option in the preferences or something like that.

Go devs!

Flaimdude: Lvl31 Mage Flaimer: Lvl15 Arch Flaimior: Lvl14 Bear
    "If you're not careful asommers will catch up to you lol" ~Royce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Kills are already easy to farm, and meaningless (The 2nd biggest problem with the Tombs of Mynas is the ease of kill farming). They could either keep a seperate tally for hardcore mode kills, or just do nothing, since the good players already know for the most part kills mean nothing.
    I don't want to take this nice thread off topic, but there is a difference between people paying attention to something, and it actually having any meaning. When leaderboards come, people will pay attention to kill count, but it will still be just as meaningless as it ever was. There are a ton of good arguments in this very forum for why K/D, etc. don't actually mean anything, and I've yet to hear anything approaching a real argument for why those stats do mean something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In World of Warcraft, most of instances have heroic mode for top levels, the pink drops was designed for the highest level.

Say Balefort Castle was designed for level 15-19 in normal mode, but in heroic mode, it was designed for level 45.

In heroic mode, boss guarantees at least one pink drop per run, but it is ultra hard to get to the boss, i.e. with all the trash mobs become elite.

Also, if you make ultra rare pink drops of a random mob (not necessary the boss), then it gives people incentive to clear the instance.
    Last edited by Smartress; 08-23-2010 at 07:39 PM.
    Smartress - Level 55 Enchantress
    Superwise - Level 47 Archer
    Swordpanda - Level 53 Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They've already talked about 'Nightmare Dungeons'; exactly the same maps just harder, hopefully if that brings in a new grade of loot it'll effectively be a 'hard difficulty'.

That aside, your idea is sound, I have an unhealthy amount of contempt for the Mynas generation and their easy-street mentality, so I'd love some separation.