Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why do my parents punish me over sports?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Actually LOLing at all of you people saying his parents are "doing it for his best interest."
    Assuming most of you have never played sports before, were never the star of your team for some time, or are still quite young.

Your parents are doing it because you're embarrassing them. They don't care about if you're enjoying yourself, or if you doing well benefits you in any way. It's about their own pathetic sense of pride. If you do well, people know you're their son, and it makes them look good. People will come up to them and be like "WOW your son did great today!" and it makes THEM feel good. When you perform poorly, they get paranoid about everything people do. If someone glances at them the wrong way, they assume it's because you did bad in your event and they're thinking less of them as parents. They then lash out on you because YOU embarrassed THEM. It doesn't matter if people are actually thinking less of them as parents or not, because they have it in their mind that they do. This is extremely common with kids who were really good at sports at a young age, but then everyone else caught up. The parents are used to you being a star and when you start slipping, they think people look at them like it's their fault.

How do I know this? This is the exact reason why I had my coaches ban my dad from my ice hockey games, and then eventually quit playing forever.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Flowman For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts

Parents like to see their children succeed. They also like to see them try their best at EVERYTHING. I'm no parent, I'm not even outta high school yet, but I know this because I run as well. I hate running, absolutely HATE it, but I still do it because I'm fast. I do long distance (mile time- 4:23)(5k time- 17:58) But I still hate running.. D: I do it because my parents expect me to like it because I'm good. So what I'm trying to say is, just stick to what you do best if you want you parents to be happy with you.
    Last edited by Worship; 07-08-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flowman View Post
    Actually LOLing at all of you people saying his parents are "doing it for his best interest."
    Assuming most of you have never played sports before, were never the star of your team for some time, or are still quite young.

Your parents are doing it because you're embarrassing them. They don't care about if you're enjoying yourself, or if you doing well benefits you in any way. It's about their own pathetic sense of pride. If you do well, people know you're their son, and it makes them look good. People will come up to them and be like "WOW your son did great today!" and it makes THEM feel good. When you perform poorly, they get paranoid about everything people do. If someone glances at them the wrong way, they assume it's because you did bad in your event and they're thinking less of them as parents. They then lash out on you because YOU embarrassed THEM. It doesn't matter if people are actually thinking less of them as parents or not, because they have it in their mind that they do. This is extremely common with kids who were really good at sports at a young age, but then everyone else caught up. The parents are used to you being a star and when you start slipping, they think people look at them like it's their fault.

How do I know this? This is the exact reason why I had my coaches ban my dad from my ice hockey games, and then eventually quit playing forever.
    Exactly! Even my parents tell me that I'm embarrassing them.. Read my post^^ you may understand then.. :I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Call me crazy but i was under the impression that sports are suppose to be fun...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    Call me crazy but i was under the impression that sports are suppose to be fun...
    LOL!

Tournament & Ladder Leader Onaraasider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Yeah my dad did say i should be embarassed, but i wasnt because most of my teammates could tell i was hurting and that i am not really a sprinter.I got my ipod back yesterday though.
    Thanks to Aaroniero Arruruerie for the wonderful signature
    tap green thumb or thanks button if i helped!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts

Hurray! iPod!
    Bringing back the wave!
    RIP: Flowman
    MY GUESS: 5,002
    <-- Yes.. it still is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Onaraasider View Post
    Yeah my dad did say i should be embarassed, but i wasnt because most of my teammates could tell i was hurting and that i am not really a sprinter.I got my ipod back yesterday though.
    I don't think you should be embarrassed man. Congratulations on getting your iPod back. Just make a thread here if you want someone to talk to or if you want support.
    PL-ebeleran(mage)
    SL-ebeleran(engineer)
    DL-ebeleran