Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do my parents punish me over sports?

Tournament & Ladder Leader Onaraasider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Default Why do my parents punish me over sports?

I am a 14 year old boy and went through my first season of track this summer, and I started out horrible but i became better and better as i went to practice. So now Track season is over for me and we are having our last few practices and just yesterday at practice my hips were beginning to hurt after i started running.I always have a few pains that i can run with,such as my shin hurting when I bend down into the blocks,but my hips were hurting a lot when I ran. So at practice, we were racing 50m after doing the 400m the hard way. and i was paired with 3 girls,ages: 9,14,15.(only because the coaches could tell i was hurting)I could usually always beat them in a race but today my hips were hurting keeping me from running my full speed. So i kept trying to beat them because of my dad sitting there watching and i just couldn't. So then after every race(we did 3) I told him that my hips were hurting and he said: "I don't care if your hips hurting you better not let them beat you again!" I'm not one of those that do the opposite of what their parents say just to make them mad, so i continued to try and keep up and ended up barely tying with the 9year old once. So then we ended practice and my dad was yelling and saying things that really hurt me. I tried to tell him that my hips hurt, but all he said was: "Don't tell me this crap about your hip hurting, that's what little girls say!" Then he was yelling the whole freaking way home(30mins) about how i got beat by a nine year old girl. Then when we got home he took my iPod Touch (have even had it for a month yet,just got for my b-day,Jun 15) and said i can get it back if on Saturday I am beating the people I'm with and placed in an appropriate group. I expected to get sympathy from my mom because she runs track and knows it's not like football where you run your best even when your in pain.But all she said was that i didn't try my best and it was my fault. Now back to the question: why am i getting punished over sports?
    it just doesn't make sense how even though I'm hurting i get punished.Why does my dad care so much about me getting beat by a 9year old girl when I'm hurting? Oh, did i mention that these last practices are for people who are going to Orlando,Florida for the last track meet, which I'm not going to? I have been truly mad since last night, and usually after i sleep i wake up and either forget or forgive them for whatever happened but now i won't even hug my mom, or look my dad in the eye, no matter how much they joke around with me because they don't care about the problem anymore. i actually cried last night which i haven't done since i was 11.
    My dad is not sexist, all the coaches(even the coaches wife) says we should never get beat by a girl the same age or younger than us.And i do my best in sports, as i said the season is over and i have tried my best all summer even in horrible heat. My best time 60seconds for the 400m in my first year.
    -Just need your opinions.
    Thanks to Aaroniero Arruruerie for the wonderful signature
    tap green thumb or thanks button if i helped!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Jugernuget:Guess: 576

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I care why????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ithrive:701186
    I care why????
    you cared enough to post. As for ur parents idk what to tell u :/ its really dumm they wud punish u over tht

Akihabara Denki Gai (Home of all the OTAKUS! XD)- Tokyo, Japan :)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Tiger mum and Wolf dad huhuhu.
    Just kidding. No offence, but some parents expect the best of their kids and go to extreme measures to make them stand out so that they have a sense of pride.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2
    DO NOT INVITE ME TO YOUR GUILD IN SL UNLESS IT'S EBS TYVM!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ithrive:701186
    I care why????
    If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all!

I really hope all turns out good for you later. Teen-ager years are very stressful. Be strong and hang in there. You'll see many curves on your way to adulthood, but know this: it'll get better in the end.
    As for your hips, ouch! I have two bad knees from carrying around my entire locker in high-school.

Best of luck and feel better

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

I dont do sports but my dad has had a hurt wrist and shoulder for the past wreks so he expects me to lift the heavy stuff and some i cant but he gets all mad that i cant. Its not nearly as bad but its close along the lines with you except i dont get punished.

Sent using spray paint from a "can"

PL) razerfingers, razer, kinglewi SL) deadspace, razerfingers, sharpshooter DL) trueblood, razerfingers, sharpteeth AL) razer, razerfingers, billionaire, donaldtrump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Lol. Bro he only took for a little while. Not that big a deal. Just tell him ur hurt and all if he doesn't listen he has serious issues.

"...And may the odds be ever in your favor." ~Effie Trinket

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts

I also run track, and my parents do pretty much the same thing. Once my father said "either come home a winner or don't at all." Parents are sometimes so blinded by a sense of responsibility in their kid winning, or pride, yet in this case it's irresponsibility. If you are injured, who cares what they say? Punishment? Pfff, the parents are only punishing themselves for losing a bond with you over a stupid sport injury that tons of people get. Also, if you are in pain, just don't do it, or it could make the injury worse. If your parents can't take the responsibility and secure your safety, they need to have a serious talk. That's just my two cents.
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes! -Billy Connolly

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaonabiuibil For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Talledaga Nights: If you ain't first your last.
    SL: L.41 xPaarx
    PL: L.66 Paaraseva
    DL: L.21 Jupiter

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paar For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

Man that sucks... To be honest with you, if your hips are hurting you shouldn't run... It's practice after all. From a soccer player who knows what it feels like to be injured and run I run at almost 75% of my average speed and even that's in pain. I feel for you you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud Member of:
    <The Community Guild> PL Chars: Sryyoulose L76, swept L10
    SL Chars: Sryyoulose L40, Affair L28, XPLX L20

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

If this injury keeps up, don't run! The worst case scenario is that a bone gets broken. Just let it heal over time.

*Casts empathy*

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Were you hurt or injured? Also, did you stretch and warm up properly? Also, do you wear the proper shoes for your feet type (I didn't, destroyed my knees).

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The reason why they're punishing you is because they don't believe you about you trying you best, your injury, they are ashamed that their child was beaten by a girl a few years younger than him, or all of the above. If your parents are usually like that though, I'd think it would be that they don't think you tried your best. My solution would be to see a doctor about your injury (hopefully a doctor will convince your parents that somethings wrong). Good luck!

<(^.^<) <(^.^)> (>^.^)>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Dang that sucks! I run track and cross country and all that matters to my parents is that I do my best! Hope you feel better soon so you can get back to running!

PL: Faoeskekie L76 Enchantress(0.5k/300k), Faouskekie L71 Bird, Faoiskekie L45 Bear, Tvrtle L50 Fox, Rhinasaurus L38 Rhino

SL: Bizilia L45 Engineer, DL: Faoeskekie L36 Vampire, AL: Faoeskekie L20 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

ur parents probably won't take you to a doctor if they don't believe you are hurt. Does your team have an athletic trainer or someone else who treats injuries? If so, talk to that person and let them know what's going on. After they look at you they'll be able to tell your parents what's going on. If you don't have a trainer then tell your coach. They should be able to help.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wvhills For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

This sounds like something that none of us should provide input for. Private family matters. The best you could do is what rob advised, but it really isn't our place.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRyder For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts

It may not be our place but I'm doing because I care.

Always, just keep your head up Bro. I play soccer and we condition just like track. I know because I also played track. Your parents wants the best of you and I love when my parents say I'm not good and I should beat them.

Take these words and use them to motivate you. Push yourself each time you go to track. You will never get better if you don't leave your "comfort zone".

Your parents only want the best from you. Just my mine and many others. In fact if it wasn't for my parents I wouldn't be on one of the best soccer team in my area.

Hope you feel better
    Bored? Check out my How to Catch Series(Click one):

Brave Bear, Sneakie Birdie, Majestic Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ithrive View Post
    I care why????
    If you dont care why the heck did you click on this thread?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Thank you all for your intake, but those that say i will get it back soon, it says IF i am appropriately placed in a better group(coaches decision by the way I'm running or hurting) and if I am beating those that i run again.
    What i really am trying to say is why am i getting punished at the END of the season when we have no track meet coming up, and while im hurting.