Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mages- Even more upsetting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Default Mages- Even more upsetting

So a buddy of mine let me use his 66 humania set. I went into pvp to mess around, since I quit for a while. I kinda missed it. I went ready to tear holes in some mages. This however was not the case. Even with 65-70 dodge or so, 280 armor. I was dying to easy. Birds wasn't an issue but mages. One mage hit a 340 drain on me. Followed my a hot flash. It's not even fair anymore. Mages have as much armor as me after buff. And a ton more damage and crit. Now I understand as my bear, I'm coming from 55 where mages are easy.

Seeing the armor and dodge of mages, there is no more reason for a pally. A pally literally has 10 more armor then a int mage. Plus less mana regen, maybe with 15 more dodge. Followed by less skill damage. Instead of having 7 on each skill don't you think its time for a revamp. I mean hitting a 340 drain on 280 armor is a little much.

Sig made by Arexos! Buying Phantom Bow set pm meh!

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

So what would you suggest for balance?

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Stop complaining. You have yet to try a really good crafted set. Ugh bears and birds are just as strong. Level up and get a set.

Edit: Btw in Humania even with a full islanders set we mages can get really bad damage from monsters so, it seems like you're saying just cause you're losing in PvP that they should nerf mage gear which will also have a drastic effect in the way we ALSO PvE? I'm sorry, no.

P.S. I love you AngryTornBird :P
    Last edited by saool; 07-18-2012 at 09:22 AM.

If you know who the character is, this is his final Form!

Love it thanks MothWing!
    PL: Saool L76 Mage [Proud Officer of A.R.G.] Siejo's Secretary
    DL: Saool [Eternally Undead Officer of C.V.G.]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

the best birds are not as good as the best mages
    Its true that mages have too much cirt
    there attacks do as much damage as an archers attacks but a mage can hit multiple. There crit is also too high and they can heal themselves and shield and if its a bunch of mages they can revive each other and heal each other so they never die
    5 mages vs 5 birds = 5 dead birds
    5 mages vs 5 bears = 5 dead bears
    5mages vs 5 mages= endless fighting

thats why im switching to mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

yeh using my 70 humanian set vs a 66 angelic mage i took about 400 dmg without even being debuff( doesnt help much when they dodge beckon 3 consecutive times)
    however when i got both beckon and crushingblow to hit, they were downed pretty fast

basically now for bears it comes down to beckon hit = win, solidly based on luck
    similar to bird vs bird which is simply a blast shot and auto, who ever dodges wins

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Default Mages- Even more upsetting

Go int bear

"...And may the odds be ever in your favor." ~Effie Trinket

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Xionskull For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

i tired it with angelic gear still came to beckon hit = win, miss = loss

by miss i mean mage dodges

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    313 Posts

Mages should not have Dodge. They should also have the lowest armor of the 3 classes. Heal, drain, and mana shield makes up for it, IMO.

This is coming from a retired Mage.
    gf.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Walkhardd For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Mages have about 20 dodge... I like it... That means 1/5 hits, I'll dodge your attack. I just don't see how that's such a biggie... Well, it is kind of annoying how mages tend to dodge my firestorm, but forget that. Birds can beat me. Just cruel blast and repulse me. Shield is down by then and you can whip up a nuke. Learn to kite, bro. Don't rush in and say why we can't use our lightning based nukes.

If practice makes perfect and perfection is impossible, why practice?
    Oh, wait... No need to practice. iHax.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I posted this in another thread, and I'll repost it here:

Quote Originally Posted by Dynastu View Post

Today, I was thinking about tweaks to gear/stats that would better balance pvp. The first thing I noticed is that dex gear has low HP regen. I think their hp regen should be greater than 50% more than what it currently is. How would this effect things? Well, birds would have to kite more "Mage-style". By this I mean attacking at 12m, then repulsing away to regen. It would give birds more survivability, as well as offer a new strategical way of looking at things for birds.

Now one would immediately think, "Well, mages and bears can use dex gear, too." That's true. However, HP regen has almost NO effect on mages, especially at endgame. Mages can just heal. They don't need hp regen. But, then you say, "HP regen helps if they have no mana to heal." Mages have 30+ mana regen, I believe. They have no issue with not having enough mana to heal. Or, if they're pinned, they're taking fast damage and will most likely die even with high hp regen. And then there's the argument that bears can use this gear. Str gear already has high hp regen. So it's just like a str bear with more damage and less armor. And here's my closing statement on that--BOWBEARS ARE WEAK, TOO. So, the added hp regen might help another class as well...

Something else I thought about. I was thinking that the dodge stat should completely be removed on mages. But then I thought about pallies. Sigh... IMO, not even pallies need dodge. Thoughts on this?

To sum this up, there are two things "OP" here.
    -The int gear, source of high armor on mages and the dodging.
    -The superrr high damage skills.

Well, one thing I'd like to say--I do not agree with people who say, "all classes equal burds just require moar skillll". That's crap, lol. The classes are NOTTT (at all) even. Even with good gear. If it requires MORE skill to be equal with an inexperienced Mage, then lol. That means the classes are UNeven, not even...

Edit: Eh, lol, the summary at the end was actually referring to the first paragraph, that I cut out.
    Last edited by Dynastu; 07-18-2012 at 11:49 AM.
    01100100011001010111001101101111011011000110100100 10000001110111011011110111001001110011011101000010 00000110001001110101011100100110010000101110

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dynastu For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walkhardd View Post
    Mages should not have Dodge. They should also have the lowest armor of the 3 classes. Heal, drain, and mana shield makes up for it, IMO.

This is coming from a retired Mage.
    agreed, thats what i liked about AO3 days

also i think they should go back to AO3 standards and only give bonuses to staff int sets, unless they add a quested set like cyber

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts

The Devs should take a look at Sewer sets and Gear. Never has there been better class balance and variety of viable builds. Just making the gear more and more powerful each cap and boosting every single attribute really ruins the balance and fun. Same goes for just increasing skill point caps.
    WhoIsThis wrote a great thread on gear balance a while back (which seems to have been completely disregarded), I'll put a link in here later.

It really is time for class and gear rebalance (which I was expecting to come with humania >_<), but at this point I'm not even sure if STS even cares about us "complaining" PvPers anymore...
    OneRandomNoob - 76 meatshield | Gaunab - 76 dodgenub

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaunab For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gaunab View Post
    The Devs should take a look at Sewer sets and Gear. Never has there been better class balance and variety of viable builds. Just making the gear more and more powerful each cap and boosting every single attribute really ruins the balance and fun. Same goes for just increasing skill point caps.
    WhoIsThis wrote a great thread on gear balance a while back (which seems to have been completely disregarded), I'll put a link in here later.

It really is time for class and gear rebalance (which I was expecting to come with humania >_<), but at this point I'm not even sure if STS even cares about us "complaining" PvPers anymore...
    yeh 55 was very balanced, although mages say it favored birds
    one of my favorite things- notice the crafted int gear only gave the powerful bonus to the staff set, what mages were meant to use

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elyseon View Post
    yeh 55 was very balanced, although mages say it favored birds
    one of my favorite things- notice the crafted int gear only gave the powerful bonus to the staff set, what mages were meant to use
    I have been looking for this for a while, it is from Cinco's talk at the Game Developers Conference in 2011, right before Sewers were released. It explains why sewers is so popular for PvP and why it is the most balanced. Too bad they did not stick with this

Something Spacetime Studios defintely want to do differently in the future is the way they approach balancing the game. Pocket Legends’ PvE gameplay got balanced before PvP – under the assumption that PvE is more important to casual gamers than PvP it sounds logical but according to Barnes this was a huge mistake. Balanced PvP is critical and now has priority over balancing PvE content. Experience tells us that from a player’s perspective imbalanced PvP is considered unfair and frustrating while imbalanced PvE – to a certain degree – is a tough challenge and it can even be rewarding to beat the AI as the underdog.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffNStuff For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    I have been looking for this for a while, it is from Cinco's talk at the Game Developers Conference in 2011, right before Sewers were released. It explains why sewers is so popular for PvP and why it is the most balanced. Too bad they did not stick with this
    yah nice find, now it seems they are going for pve balance only

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Fluff, that's a really good find... The devs should stick to that idea, lol. You should make a thread in the Suggestions and Feedback area with that quote; maybe the devs will see it.
    01100100011001010111001101101111011011000110100100 10000001110111011011110111001001110011011101000010 00000110001001110101011100100110010000101110

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

If you want I can give you a 500+ crit on your warbird.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Another idea I'd like to see the discussion on (using rank 6 skills, as I'm not as familiar with the figures on rank 7:

What if Blessing of Might gave 30 crit and Focus gave 60 crit? So flip flop the crit buffs. I'm not sure if this would just make birds way more powerful, but if it actually evened out pvp, then it wouldnt JUST help endgame, it would help even birds and mages at all levels. I mean, a level 30 bird vs a level 30 mage? It was possible before GCD, but now? Puh-lease! Bears may need a tweak, too, but I personally don't have any ideas.

Another thing that might go along with this idea--give classes their offensive buffs (and defensive buffs, for that matter) at the same level. Then, perhaps, level 10 pvp would be evened out a little.

These are just thoughts, I'm not saying I want them implemented. If the devs test this and it evens things out, then HECK YES I'd want it implemented. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Dynastu; 07-18-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

From my experience, Mages ARE overpowered. Like was said earlier, when you have to have the best gear and vastly superior game skills to beat a brandnew-to-pvp mage that looked up comboes here, something is wrong.

From what I've seen in PVP at level 65 and lvl 70 is that a Mage, 1v1, will quickly drop any other build except maybe a dexbird 95% of the time. Dexbirds only win because of the range, but think about that... They win because they are skilled enough ot keep exactly 12m range between them and someone else. Any other class just hits auto and mashes skills.

I'm a war bird. I'm pretty evenly matched against tanks and dexbirds, but not mages. I'd go so far as to say 99% death when I fight them. IF I dodge drain/lightning and IF I crit cruel blast, I MIGHT win. They really are the same as dexbirds as far as damage is concerned, except now they dodge like a bear.

Have to break mana sheild which is harder than hell now with the increased dodge.
    then you have to deal enough damage fast enough they they can't heal, or can't get off the 600hp dmg combo.

So yeah, HUGE damage, Mana Shield, Heal spells, now crazy dodge, i can see how they are perfectly balance....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

STS made the PL app icon the face of an elf, obviously they all want us to choose elves so everything will be balanced.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List