Hello my fellow engineers , welcome to the place which will change your engineer career. If you are looking at this thread i am going to assume you are new to this class or would like some guidance.
The engineer is the class which suffers the most criticism so you do have immense responsibility on your backs. Most people who criticize don't understand how difficult this class can be to play well and effectively. Fear not however, the fact that your looking at this thread means your a step closer to understanding this class.
Lets begin , here are some questions which are faced by most new Engineers.
Is this class for me ?
To answer this question , ask your self . Do you want to be the person the entire team depends on to stay alive ? Would you like the ability to heal not only you but your team mates as well ?
If you answered YES then this is in fact the class for you and keep reading.
What do i need to be an Engineer?
This class requires you to be very alert and have quick reflexes . The moment your attention slips so does your team mates health. Apart from this, much like the name this class does require a little bit of brain power.
What are some of my duties as an Engineer ?
- Keep your team mates health in check , pay close attention to this . That being said don't just simply spam empathy , not only are you wasting mana but when you do need empathy for the crucial moment you would have already used it.
- Engineers have some pretty nifty de buffs and DoTs like Decay and Transference . make sure u use these wisely.
Down to the nitty gritty part of this guide.
How should i spec my stat points ?
You may be asking why all INT ?
Keeping our duties in mind . Not only does INT have the highest stat gain / per point used for Engineer but it also gives skills the best damage which transcends to having empathy carry a bigger punch . This has a better effect on the amount of health replenished which is your ultimate goal playing this class.
As this is a PVE build , Full INT is the best choice.
Skill GuideOnce again keeping our duties in mind, i use this build to play this class well and effectively.
As you can see i have all the skills necessary in order for this to be quite an effective support class. Keeping both my teammates health in check and laying some pretty impressive Dot's and de-Buffs.
Wither (6) - Pretty nice DoT, which does some decent damage.
Leach (6) - While your busy keeping every one alive , you may end up taking damage. To counter that , this skill will prove to be quite useful by not just doing decent damage but healing you in the progress. After all a dead engineer puts every one else at risk.
Empathy (6 ) - This skill goes with out question , get the skill.
Revive (3 ) - Traditionally one point would be sufficient however , revive has a hidden buff of 1 m/s by bringing revive to three points it cuts down the mana required .As they say " a credit saved is a credit earned ".
Force Shield (5) - Force shield's effectiveness wears down at higher levels such as voleria but it does have one other interesting property. Force shield has a pretty amazing mana regen and if used wisely can save you a lot of stims. Unbeatable when used in conjunction with revive . Also can be used as those " oh crap " moments.
Transference (6) - Once again another important skills . Very nice AoE paired with a nice health regen for the entire team. Be wary of spamming this however as you may end up taking a lot of unnecessary ago.
Pain (2) - Pretty nice skill to have , not only a stun but decent AoE damage at the end of the stun. Use it right as you engage a mob so the AoE is in effect .
Decay (6 ) Up until the lvl 30 cap raise the engineer did not have a de buff , until this showed up. Amazing armor de buff which is really useful for assisting Ops take down tough mobs / bosses.
Skills Which were left out.
Protection - This skill only provides you with +60 armor at (6) which only protects you from minimal damage. Nothing empathy cant fix and these 6 points could be used else where
Sonic Boom - Not a very powerful AoE , could be used on another skill.
Suppression - I personally found this skill to be more detrimental than beneficial for me as when used , my team mates cant damage the target. " Damage breaks the stun".
Below are some tips which i have learned over the months of playing this class .
- Empathy has minimum range and unless they are close together , chances are you will not get every on the buff. This is where the brain power comes in , you should be constantly asking your self Who needs this buff the most ? When playing with a good group the commando would be ahead of you gathering agro for the next mob. Ensure that he/she has a buff before and after engaging each mob. As for Operatives should be your primary concern . If you see an operative losing HP fast , rush to him and biff with Empathy. That being said you dont want to spam with out a purpose . Not only are you wasting mana but you render empathy useless when its on cool down and some one needs it badly. Use it only when necessary.
- Most New engineer love spamming their skills, how ever skills such as transference will get you into some trouble , you should skills like this in moderation when commandos have most of the agro or for a final cleaning up of the mobs.
- Pairing up Mana Shield + Revive can lead to a +5 M/s. This is just amazing as it can help you save a lot in stims. Use this combo in between mobs.
- Stay sharp and alert , moment your attention slips so does your team mates. Your that final piece that ties the team together , don't put them at risk.
Pistol + Shield - Very high base damage ( Bigger Heals ) and provides you with a nice armor boost from the shield
Gauntlets - Very high DPS + Lots of INT. Some prefer this over pistol + shield.
DMG Implant - More DMG = Bigger Heals.
Armor Implants - Recommended if your just starting out , makes you tank a bit more than you normally would.
You just made it to the end of this pretty lengthy guide. I would like to congratulate you for taking your first steps in mastering this class. Im sure like me you too would fall in love with this class. I Hope some of you benefited out of this and truly become masters of their trade. remember practice makes perfect. Hoping to see many intelligent engineers in the future.
Signing off at 5 am