Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Blackstar Chronicles Lore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Whoa there! Nice thing thing on the Vular, Battle! Gotta make a new post to fit it all

DATA FILE: VULAR

History: The Vular were first encountered in by the current galactic powers in 2200, when the mining colony Alpha Five inadvertently unsealed a dormant Vular hive. The colony was wiped out, along with near 60% of the UC relief force sent to investigate after contact with the colony was disrupted. After the fiasco, the UC reorganized, redesigned its organization to better defeat any future incursions. The UC’s preparations were put to the test sixty years later, when dozens of Hives became active across the frontier, and scores of colonies were under siege. Fortunately, the UC was able to repel the incursions, and destroy the infestations.
    In the modern age, the Vular remain dangerous, especial to smaller, poorly defended colonies. Due to a the particulars of Vular biology and the large garrisons of militia personal, Vular are rarely able to establish a presence on planetary colonies, though those based on moons or asteroids are more vulnerable to Vular.
    Origins: The Origin of the Vular is unknown. Given they lack any method of space travel, aside from hitching rides on unsuspecting starships, it remains unknown how they have managed to seed hives on dozens of planets and asteroids. One common theory is that they once possessed the means to travel among the stars, but somehow lost the ability to do so. Another theory, supported by a number of military personal, is that the Vular are/where biological weapons of some kind, set up in hives as a defense to prevent intruders from setting up colonies in certain regions, or used to wipe out an enemy of some kind, then abandoned once their mission was complete. There are other theories, ranging from the Vular being created by terrorist, and the inevitable accusation that they were created by any number of alleged conspiracies or secret organizations.

General Biology: The Vular are widely believed to be insectoid in nature, and their appearance and the various names of the different Vular forms support this perception. However, the Vular are actually warm blooded mammals, though given the number of traits they share with other forms of life, the misperception is quite understandable.
    The Vular are also thought by many to be sentient, but a number of research projects and evidence from the field have established that they are not. However, they are remarkably intelligent, and are quite adapt at hunting even well-armed opponents, as well as being dangerously good at instinctively hiding until they can emerge and overrun defenders.
    Most Vular share a number of common traits. They possess both an endoskeleton and an exoskeleton, and have muscles much stronger and denser than most creatures. Their mouths are circular, and their bite wounds are concave holes, and are consequently more difficult to treat than more conventional wounds. Vular claws are also oddly shaped and leave puncture wounds that are very hard to close. They have poor to no hearing, and appear to lack a sense of smell. They see in infrared, and their blood is toxic to most life. Bizarrely, Vular blood also has a number of addictive properties. They also have a number of redundant organs, which coupled with their twin skeletons makes them far more resistant to injury then would be apparent. Given the bizarre mix of traits possessed by the Vular, and how incredibly dangerous they have proven to be, one can see why some believe them to be unnaturally created.
    Vular Subtypes: The Vular are a species with a number of distinctive forms, much like Earth ants or Alterran wasps.
    Drones are the most common form, and compose around 90% of the average hive. They stand about half a meter tall, and are fully a meter from head to tall, and mass in at almost 135 pounds. They are semi- quadrupedal, normal walking on four legs. However, when they encounter a threat, they will use their forelegs to attack. They are remarkable tough for a creature of their size, capable of shrugging off moderate amounts of gunfire. Their thick carapace is almost immune to handgun rounds, and rifles have a tough time punching through. They have two hearts and a pair of lungs, though they only need one of each for a creature of their size. As they have two, they are quite a bit faster than would be suggested for a creature of their size and weight. However, they are not very nimble, as their exoskeleton limits their movement.
    Soldiers are the only other Vular form to be commonly encountered, and they make up around 9% of the average hive. They are two meters tall and a little more than three meters long. They share the same semi-quadrupedal walking style of drones, and in fact they often behave like oversized drones. Given their greater size, they are much tougher than drones. Their carapace is fully immune to most pistol rounds, and even high powered rifle rounds will only break through once out of every three or four hits. They have much longer claws that drones, and can bit through grade three body armor with ease. However, they have very poor mobility, due to their weight. In fact, Soldiers are considered something of a joke in planetary combat situations, as they have extreme difficulty moving about. In a low gravity environment it’s a different story, as they can compensate for their low weight and become much faster and more dangerous.
    Vular Tanks are extremely rare. They are a massive creature, perhaps a meter and a half tall and four meters long, but weighting more than a ton and a half. They are nearly blind, and instead use some form of echolocation to find targets. Their massive claws are extremely sharp, and coupled with the huge muscles that power their claws, can cleave through even the heaviest body armor in the UC. An extremely thick exoskeleton makes them virtually indestructible, only heavy weapons have a chance at punching through. They are not found on planets, as they would be crushed under their own weight if subjected to normal gravity. They can only grow in low gravity environments, where they are extremely dangerous.
    There are other forms of Vular rumored to exist, though little evidence supports such rumors. Rumors of human looking Vular called Sirens that sneak up and ambush their prey, massive wormlike leviathans that can crush tanks and swallow men whole, invisible creatures called stalkers, and other rumors even more fantastic. It need not be said that most biologists do not buy into such rumors.

Vular Behavior: Vular exhibit a number of unusual behaviors. Much of the information regarding their behavior comes from combat recordings, as research studies focusing on Vular are extremely dangerous, and tend to end violently.
    Vular frequently engage in claw sharpening behavior, scratching their claws against hard surfaces to make them more lethal. It’s unknown how this behavior developed, but all Vular seem to engage in it.
    Vular Soldiers and Drones display a noticeable reluctance to attack when confronted by flamethrowers. As they don’t exhibit any other fear of fire, researchers do not believe this is a sign that they recognize the danger of fire. Rather, they believe that since the Vular see in thermal vision, the Vular perceive flamethrowers as part of the person holding it. Thus, the Vular see a normal, human sized target, which frequently grows several times its size, every time they get near it. As a result, they avoid engaging. The reader should not that Vular Tanks are not deterred by flamethrowers, as they use a different sensory system then other Vular.
    Despite lacking any way to perceive it, Vular are bizarrely fond of lurking in dark spaces. In fact, Vular excel at sneaking about, in spite of the fact that their sensory organs are not capable of detecting darkness. Some biologists believe that Vular must possess some form of light detection, as they cannot imagine any other way the Vular would be so adapt at find dark, hidden spaces to lurk in. However, no trace of such an ability has yet to be found. As Vular do not noticeable react to light sources (like the spotlights of military forces), this theory is not given much credence by most experts in the field.
    Despite almost supernatural sense in some regards, like the aforementioned ability to find hidden spaces to lurk in, the Vular can also be incredibly oblivious. Their poor hearing has frequently allowed military forces to ambush concentrations of Vular one at a time, without attracting attention of nearby Vular. This tendency of Vular to bunch up in small groups is another odd instinct, one that is aids the Vular as much as it hinders them.
    Last edited by Cahaun; 09-14-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Is that a real story cahaun O.O??
    " Arcane Legend: Aliss lvl.16 Warrior."
    Tired of that Old Sig? Want a Fresh New One?
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...re-Design-Shop!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkillFullGamer View Post
    Is what a real story?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkillFullGamer:780801
    Which part confuses you?

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts

Wow

-Astrocat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Bumping this to find it easier for editing.
    More content is coming to this thread including bios, colony updates, and others.

New to this thread? The top section contains the main lore while I still have a few near the bottom. I'm going to move them to the top if there's enough room.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Going over these three bios for today.

(These ones were provided by Battlegrinder™)

People of Blackstar (Continued)

Name: Riley Wilcott

Bio: Protagonist of the police drama "Protect and Serve". Characterization is similar to that of most modern police detectives.

Name: Greudach Rinji

Bio: Infamous assassin, in service to the highest bidder. Extremely dangerous, especially given her advanced stealth armor and ruthlessness. Operatives accord to a strict moral code (though the precise details this code known only to Rinji), which includes a prohibition against killing unarmed foes and other "dishonorable" acts....except when it doesn't. Her sanity is a subject of considerable debate among many professionals.

Name: Dan Sadusky

Bio: Protagonist of the "Crimson Eagle" Movie series, documenting the adventures of a wing of UCN combat pilots during the UC-Colonial War (consider it the 24th century version of "Top Gun", but created by Michael Bay).
    Last edited by Cahaun; 10-25-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Default I may procrastinate alot, but I always update my things... eventually

I'll give this a bump so I can find this easier. The SL forum is about dead, but I'll continue on this thread now that Battlegrinder updated his story.
    If none of you know of this yet, I have a thread going over the bosses in AL in detail. See the "AL Boss Compendium" if you like this here or AL itself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Bumping this back up for Battlegrinder and me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cahaun View Post
    It might be better to recreate this tread in a slightly different format, since it's currently rather chaotic. Maybe have some kind of organized format for how the information we collect is displayed, like having a single post where all "People of Blackstar" bios are displayed that we edit and keep up to date, instead of making new post scattered throughout the thread. Basically, the idea would be to have each post contain ALL the relevant information so someone looking for information can just check that one post instead of searching through the whole thread. Unless a post gets too long (and given how long my Vular Data file is, I don't think that would be a problem), a system like this should work out. I'd also recommend creating a sister thread to have a discussion of the lore people collect (and for people to post information that we can add to the lore thread), so the thread doesn't get cluttered up with comments and stuff, which really don't belong in a pure information resource thread.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Battlegrinder; 04-05-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Battlegrinder:1039159
    It might be better to recreate this tread in a slightly different format, since it's currently rather chaotic. Maybe have some kind of organized format for how the information we collect is displayed, like having a single post where all "People of Blackstar" bios are displayed that we edit and keep up to date, instead of making new post scattered throughout the thread. Basically, the idea would be to have each post contain ALL the relevant information so someone looking for information can just check that one post instead of searching through the whole thread. Unless a post gets too long (and given how long my Vular Data file is, I don't think that would be a problem), a system like this should work out. I'd also recommend creating a sister thread to have a discussion of the lore people collect (and for people to post information that we can add to the lore thread), so the thread doesn't get cluttered up with comments and stuff, which really don't belong in a pure information resource thread.

What do you think?
    So I make small, little threads each on their own topic? Like People Bios as one and Blackstar Timeline as another?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

So I make small, little threads each on their own topic? Like People Bios as one and Blackstar Timeline as another?
    Not quite. We'd still have one main Lore Thread, and each post in that thread would be devoted to a single topic. So we'd have one "People of Blackstar" post, and each bio someone writes or finds would be edited into that post. Each post would slowly expand as we collected more information, but because we'd distribute that info across several different posts it will be much easier for people to find the information they're looking for. I'll create some examples below this post so you see what I mean.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Default biographies

Name: Dan Sadusky

Bio: Protagonist of the "Crimson Eagle" Movie series, documenting the adventures of a wing of UCN combat pilots during the UC-Colonial War (consider it the 24th century version of "Top Gun").

Name: Security Chief Danners

Bio: A retired UC officer and now working for Cycorp, Danner's reputation as an intelligent leader was enough to land him a well paying job. As Security Chief of the Cycorp Industry stationed on U.C.S Blackstar, he worked hard to keep everything in order. Unfortunately for him, an alien infestation broke out on Boss Appreciation day and it was his duty to stop it. With his leadership and combat skills, Danners held the infestation back from the Corporate Offices, Ingredient Storage, and Product Development sectors of the industry until his untimely death at the hands of Dynastar mercenaries.

Name: Greudach Rinji

Bio: Infamous assassin, in service to the highest bidder. Extremely dangerous, especially given her advanced stealth armor and ruthlessness. Operatives accord to a strict moral code (though the precise details this code known only to Rinji), which includes a prohibition against killing unarmed foes and other "dishonorable" acts....except when it doesn't. Her sanity is a subject of considerable debate among many professionals.

Name: Harry Hijack

Bio: Infamous as he is smart, Harry has been widely know to hijack merchant ships all over the galaxy and selling them to a mysterious buyer.
    Many companies have started making no-guns-allowed for their cruisers in an attempt to prevent internal hijacking but it's still controversial and many major trade companies like Cycorp still oppose it.
    Harry turned KIA in a hijacking gone bad.

Name: Lasiter Bigsby, CEO Cycorp

Bio: Lasiter Bigsby knew business after taking many years in the Consumer Industry as Spokesman. For some unknown reasons, Lasiter resigned from his previous work and used all his experience, cunning tactics, and an equally mind-set crew to get Cycorp to where it is now. Many think Bigsby is trying to get Liber Corp to be in part of his now giant industry for their Light Bending Technology.

Name: Riley Wilcott

Bio: Protagonist of the police drama "Protect and Serve". Characterization is similar to that of most modern police detectives.

Name: The Mode (Race)

Bio: Mode are artificial intelligence androids originally constructed by humanity as servants, but later became close allies with humanity through the gradual advancements in artificial intelligence.

Name: The Riven (Race)

Bio: If you thought the Scorn were harsh, you've never heard of the Riven. They were once alive centuries before Scorn who'd eventually ressurect them for allies. The Riven, however, were centuries older and hince had different mind sets than the newer generations. They thought of the Scorn's acts of slavery and assaults as weak. They believed in genocide and total destruction. In the next following years came the civil war known as the Riven. (Appropriately named with the Riven's name) While they are now allies with the Scorn, they still have animosity towards each other.

Sources
    Battlegrinder: Riley Wilcott, Dan Sadusky, Greudach Rinji
    Cahaun: Security Chief Danners, Harry Hijack, Lasiter Bigsby
    Space Studios: The Mode, The Riven
    Last edited by Battlegrinder; 04-07-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Default Planets and Settlements

Name: Asteroid Field - Delta

Lore: An asteroid field rich in mining ore, Asteroid field Delta became one of the most contested sites between Cycorp and Dynastar. In the early years of the mining operation, Cycorp produced the Iridium based metal that was made from the ore found in Delta. Finding success in Delta, Cycorp used more and more to reap the wealth from the field until the miners discovered an unidentified egg. While sources cannot specify exactly what happened after due to the loss of life and classified operations that happened after, the effect of this inconvenience caught the attention of Dynastar.

Points of interest: Asteroid field Delta is one of many, but holds the most iridium ore known to the current day. The different sites are marked easily by number so Delta 7 was the seventh mining facility that was built before the infestation.

Name: Planet Coloney - Equinox

Lore: Of all of the colonies in the galaxy, the one on Equinox was a hard gamble. The cold weather and native creatures threatened the coloney workers, but in the end, it was officially established by the time the UCS Blackstar made itself home in the territory.

Points of Interest: The Bar'Chok are native animals of the snowy planet of Equinox and are a main source of food for the colonists. They are mainly in herds are quite loud.

Name: Kraken
    Kraken is a black orb of a world, shot through with spidering blue veins of crystal. Root-like crystalline strands have been pulled of the interior of the world into orbit where Scorn freighters busily mine the valuable minerals. Shards of crystal hang ponderously like walls of glass, reflecting the activity. The sky is blue, not black, as microscopic dust from decades of mining creates a kind of faux atmosphere in the vacuum.

Name: Planet Coloney - Voleria

Lore: Colonized by famed Humanitarian, Governor Underwood in the mid 24th century, Vuleria was a place that symbolized peace. Following that, it also became a successful coloney that was abundant from the resources found. Unfortunately, Vuleria is now a scarred battlefield and is the first battlefront between UC forces and the Scorn.

Points of Interest: Voleria's beaches aren't the only thing attracting colonists to the planet, but by the exotic food and animals that inhabit it. Vuleria also has a rich mineral supply and is mined by local mining businesses.

Sources
    Spacetime Studios: Voleria, Delta Asteroids, Kraken
    Garvhoz: Equinox*

*Fan created or theoretical, information is not canonical
    Last edited by Battlegrinder; 04-09-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

We'd organize the whole thread in the same format as the above (we will have to spend so time swapping PMs to hammer out the whole format), grouping the information together for quick reference (maybe have the first post be an explanation of the thread and a Table of Contents), cite the sources for all gathered data and make note of which ones are "official" STS material and which ones are fan made/theoretical (non-canon). For example, my Vular analysis and data files are based on information from the game, but the bulk of the material contained within them is based on real science or other sci-fi technologies that seem to be similar in nature, so they would be tagged as non-canon despite being based on something in the game.

Edit: I'll keep posting material to this thread until we figure out what we're doing long term. I've just gotten my write-up of Scorn tech and tactics, and I'm going to get something about Scorn Strategy and the Vular Connection posted sometime soon.
    Last edited by Battlegrinder; 04-09-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Default Scorn Technology and Tactics

Technology:
    Most military forces are limited by the technology they have available, and the Scorn are no different. First off, Scorn military hardware is not significantly more advanced than the equipment fielded by the UC. The main reason I say this is because Scorn and UC technologies are compatible. Scorn armor and weapons can be upgraded using UC components and UC equipment (ex, lvl 40 customized armor/guns), and as we've seen on the UCS Savant and in Crusade, Scorn technology can be readily adapted to use UC plasma cell technology, or a reverse engineered derivative. If one side or the other had technology significantly more advanced than the other, that wouldn't be possible. Imagine trying to upgrade a F-14 Tomcat using parts from an F6F Hellcat. The two planes had been built by the same company, but a mere 30 years’ time made them completely incompatible.

Scorn infantry hardware appears to be inferior to the bleeding edge, customized equipment used by mercenaries (a Voleria run isn't much harder if you use level 39 UC gear instead of level 40 Scorn gear, and pink grade UC weapons are as good or better than Scorn equipment), but Scorn equipment may have an edge when pitted against the standard issue equipment of the UC military. I say may because Voleria is the only time the two militarily forces are known to have engaged one another, and it's impossible to tell if the UC lost because of inferior hardware or because the Scorn had a massive advantage in aerospace technology and the element of surprise. The Scorn do possess a number of infantry technologies that UC forces appear to lack or do not commonly employ (high powered sniper rifles, grenades, deployable force fields, jetpacks, landmines), but the combat utility of such equipment is suspect. Landmines and snipers are especially noteworthy, as both the mines and targeting crosshairs are easy to spot. This is most likely because UC sensor technology is able to detect and warn soldiers of landmines, which would explain why the Scorn stop using them as the war goes on. The targeting crosshairs are likely part of an active scanning system built into the sniper rifles, and UC sensors can likewise detect such emissions and warn troops were the snipers are aiming (and given how long it takes snipers to line up a shot, it's also possible the UC ECM technology can interfere with said scanning systems). The bottom line is that the Scorn are on a roughly even footing with the UC when it comes to infantry.

The same cannot be said of Scorn aerospace technology, which appears to be substantially better than anything the UC has to offer. On Voleria, Numa Prime, and STS-25, Scorn aircraft seem to operate unopposed. On Voleria, the initial Scorn attack appears to have crippled local air assets (shot-down UC aircraft are scattered all over the area) and even after the UC launches are counter-attack the Scorn are able to freely reinforce their infantry forces and make bombing runs, so the UC's efforts to deal with hostile aircraft were clearly ineffective. Deploying transport aircraft in contested airspace is extremely hazardous, so it’s unlikely that the Scorn would have dropped reinforcements so freely if the transports were likely to get shot down. The same pattern repeated itself on Numa, with Scorn aircraft freely dropping off troops all over the area. It’s worth noting that the Scorn did not employ bomber aircraft on Numa Prime, most likely because bombers might damage the terrain in the area and make moving around the plateau difficult. I’ve done some hiking around the Grand Canyon (where the terrain reasonably similar to that of Numa Prime), and adding a bunch of bomb craters to the trails would not have made hiking any easier.

The Scorn have a very strange approach when it comes to building and deploying armored vehicles. They have several variants of the “Golem” that seem to act as high powered anti-infantry units, and they have creatures like Durrex, which act more like tanks. We’ve seen three different versions of the Golem, all of which heavily armored melee combatants. The Voleria Golem (and likely the Savant variant) was at least air-droppable, and may have been able to fly under its own power, while the Numa Prime Golem lacked the hovering and jet propulsion technology of the other two, instead being a bipedal unit. None of the Golems were used in a conventional infantry support role, instead they acted as guards for sensitive or strategically vital areas. Durrex appears to be a hybrid of Scorn mauler/breathers and Vular tanks, fused with advanced weapons and armor. Durrex’s tail cannon is way to lethal to be intended for anti-infantry use, so he was mostly likely designed to engage hostile vehicles and other armored threats.
    The Scorn have advanced bio-technology. Breathers, Maulers, (hereafter referred to as “bio-constructs” or bio-cons) and even Durrex appear to have been genetically engineering. Bio-constructs seem to share some traits with creatures Native to Numa Prime, while Durrex appears to have been created based on Vular DNA. Numa Prime had a small population of Vular along with the burrowing creatures that seem to share a lineage with bio-constructs, so it may be that the Scorn collected some samples of the local wildlife from Numa at some point.

Scorn Tactics:
    The Scorn military seems to be an entirely airborne force. Every type of infantry, creature, specialist unit, vehicle, and type of equipment has been deployed by air (with the exception of Durrex) one at least one occasion.

Scorn infantry frequently deploy from low flying aircraft or use jetpacks to drop down onto the battlefield. This deployment system may explain why the Scorn use infantry deployed force fields instead of constructing more solid physical barriers, namely that the weight and bulk of such equipment makes it difficult for the Scorn to air-drop it. Most Scorn infantry squads have far more specialist personal (like snipers and heavy weapons troopers) than is standard for current military units, but it’s possible that Scorn tactical doctrine is different than that used by human forces. However, a more likely scenario is that a normal Scorn squad has only a few specialist personal attached to it, but because said specialists are much tougher than standard troops, they make up a much larger percentage of active combat troops late in a campaign (you’ll notice that there a lot of dead Scorn troopers on the beaches of Voleria, but very few heavy weapon’s troopers or snipers).

Scorn bio-constructs are also deployed from above, but they use a different method than soldiers. Bio-cons used something along the lines of Halo style ODST drop pods when deploying on Voleria. Bio-cons were not used during the Numa Prime conflict, most likely because (like ODST drop pods) the deployment system they use was not accurate enough to land them on the narrow plateaus that make up much of Numa Prime’s surface, and the Scorn were not willing to randomly fire dozens of bio-cons in the hopes that one or two would land near hostile forces. Oddly, Zyra Roh does deploy via drop pod, indicated that either the pods used by elite troops are more accurate than the ones used by bio-cons, or that the situation was so desperate that the Scorn had no choice but drop one of their best warriors and hope for the best. Given that Roh was deployed to the widest point on the plateau, the latter situation is more likely.

Scorn heavy units, like Golems, are not usually deployed in an offensive manner, instead being relegated to defensive and guarding actions. The Golems are clearly able to deploy from above (Governor Underwood found this out the hard way), and the models deployed to Voleria and the UCS Savant were clearly equipped with some variant of jetpack technology, so it seems odd that such powerful weapons are not used on the frontlines. However, it’s possible that the jetpack and hover technology built into the Voleria golem were actually descent gear, intended to allow the Golem to decelerate as it dropped to the ground. It so, that would explain why Golems are not used offensively. Golems have limited all-terrain capabilities, and likely require specialized transport craft to deploy and recover them. Since Scorn military tactics seem to be based around rapidly deploying and redeploying combat units, incorporating a unit like the Golem into such operations would be difficult.

The central theme underlying these specific tactical situations is offense. The Scorn rarely employ defensive weapons or technologies. Voleria had been fortified, but during that conflict the Scorn had the specific goal of doing whatever it was they were doing with the Beacon, plus they’d taken losses during the initial attack, and they were trying to withstand the full force of a UC counter-attack. Under those circumstances, digging in was the only reasonable choice. However, in later attacks the Scorn tactics changed, into what I believe to be their normal operating procedures. The Numa Prime and STS-25 attacks lacked several elements that had been common on Voleria. Defensive turrets were missing, along with the lightweight barricades employed at Voleria, and the Scorn ground presence was mostly limited to small patrols, with the bulk of the invasion force deployed in the area. Mines were also missing, which may have been because UC technology was able to effectively counter them at Voleria, but another possibility is because mines are a defensive weapon, which would be of little during an offensive. The last piece of evidence for the offensive theory is that all Scorn equipment seems to be designed for offensive functionality. Scorn turrets have small, spindly legs, which hint that the turrets are intended to be mobile and easy to deploy, unlike UC turrets which are far larger, far bulkier, and are built with massive bases, illustrating that UC turrets are defensive weapons. Additionally, the Scorn force field generators are small, lightweight devices carried and deployed by individual trooper, and given how quickly the field they project is, they are clearly designed to provide only a brief respite from opposing fire (and thus encouraging troops to keep moving). Finally, Scorn grenades are fairly weak devices, with a blast radius of only a few yards, showing that they are equivalent to modern offensive grenades, and are designed to be have a small blast radius that prevents the thrower from being killed by his own weapon (as opposed to defensive grenades, which have blast radius of up to 25 yards). All these elements indicate that the Scorn usually employ pure offensive tactics (and more disturbingly, they suggest that Voleria was only a UC victory because the Scorn were operating in an unfamiliar tactical mindset, a suggestion backed up by the string of successful Scorn offensives).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Ok I see now, Battle. Can you start emailing me with a basic idea of the setup so I can plan its reconstruction? I know you explained it in here, but it is getting a little cluttered. I just need to make a "battle plan" before I set up an updated Lore Thread set up.
    I'm also thinking of making some hard copies in my office room with folders and files so I can organize the data that is gathered like the bios, random info, and Data Logs to things that are being researched (Like a To-Do List). Tell me what you think.
    Last edited by Cahaun; 04-10-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Ok I see now, Battle. Can you start emailing me with a basic idea of the setup so I can plan its reconstruction? I know you ecplained it in here, but it is getting a little cluttered. I just need to make a "battle plan" before I set up an updated Lore Thread set up.
    I'm also thinking of making some hard copies in my office room with folders and files so I can organize the data that is gathered like the bios, random info, and Data Logs to things that are being researched (Like a To-Do List). Tell me what you think.
    On it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Battlegrinder For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Neat
    Uphold the magic of friendship, with a heart of gold and nerves of steel. This is my creed.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Solid Scorpion For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Scorpion View Post
    Neat
    It's a work in progress, but my schoolwork severely slows me down. Luckily, I have a few weeks off so now I can create the new Lore thread today. (I mean it this time)
    To avoid unnecessary clutter and confusion, any replies and comments will be limited to PM's. I don't know how to make one, but I'll try to make a group so we have a place to all discuss about the new thread, or just to voice your opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2