Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DPS or Damage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts

Default DPS or Damage?

So I have plenty of different pinks, and I try em all out. Recently, I noticed that there is such things as DPS (Haha I know..)
    And my Nova does 115 DPS, but my Primed Flux Cannon does 119.

Nova:
    -Damage: 61-99
    -DPS: 115

Flux Cannon:
    -Damage: 38-57
    -DPS: 119

So i was wondering, should I use the Flux Cannon since it has a better DPS? or should i stick to the nova?
    thanks
    Bringing back the wave!
    RIP: Flowman
    MY GUESS: 5,002
    <-- Yes.. it still is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

A higher DPS stat gives you better auto attack because it stands for damage per second. Flux Cannon is a faster attacking wrapon.

On the other hand, your skills will be weaker because skill damage depends on the Damage stat. On the other hand Flux Cannon is much weaker damage wise.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision based on what you want to do.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 08-15-2012 at 12:13 PM.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bronislav84 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

As a com , you don't need the dps . Nova gives more surviv ability , canon gives better agro control . Chose according to that . I would use both tbh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Worship View Post
    So i was wondering, should I use the Flux Cannon since it has a better DPS? or should i stick to the nova?
    thanks
    DPS is not a real indicator of how much damage you'll do. It indicates the overall potential damage of your weapon shots, but does not take into account the damage you do with skills. Higher base damage increases the strength of your skills, not high DPS.

So basically, if you want harder hitting skills, go for high base damage. If you want your gun to do the optimal amount of damage, go for DPS.

Don't forget to take into account the commando AoE component and the loss/gain of a shield when making your choice.

Edit: Ninja'd.
    Last edited by jackaboo; 08-15-2012 at 12:19 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jackaboo For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts

Ok, based on your responses. I am going to stick with the Nova. It has a higher damage, and I have a good shield too. (And the shield makes green sparkles ) Unlike the Nova, the flux doesnt work well with shields..
    So Thanks for the responses (Outta thanks today, but will give em to you tomorrow)
    Bringing back the wave!
    RIP: Flowman
    MY GUESS: 5,002
    <-- Yes.. it still is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

I usually ask myself same question.. Though i'm an op so i choose between other weaps, but still - one of them is class-dependant

Should i use Tempest with insane dmg and crits plus shield or maybe War-augs v4 with good dmg and very-very-very high DPS..

The answer varies really:

1) when you are in a good party of friends or just skilled playaz - don't b afraid to neglect the shield and enjoy yo class weapon! It's FUN!

2) when you are approaching tough boss or starting level solo when noone joined yet - then choose good gun (like Tempest or Nova) and the shield

Summary - act depending on situation
    click my sig to join

Got a SCAMMER to REPORT? DO it HERE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flashbackflip View Post
    I usually ask myself same question.. Though i'm an op so i choose between other weaps, but still - one of them is class-dependant

Should i use Tempest with insane dmg and crits plus shield or maybe War-augs v4 with good dmg and very-very-very high DPS..

1) when you are in a good party of friends or just skilled playaz - don't b afraid to neglect the shield and enjoy yo class weapon! It's FUN!

2) when you are approaching tough boss or starting level solo when noone joined yet - then choose good gun (like Tempest or Nova) and the shield

Exactly this!

Side note : Canons have insane AoE , This will really help your team out IF your team has a good ENG. If not stick with pistol + shield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flashbackflip View Post

Well said. 1+

I prefer Cannon though.. Take aggro! <3
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Play as if it's your last.
    Because in the End, You will face Judgement

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

Some of the new pink canons are pretty good too , good enough to be used in pvp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I think when you are playing at low levels then the difference is more obvious.

Damage is really important as it improves the damage of your skills. Ay higher level it does not matter
    much as your skills are capped and effective. But once against enemy with high hp nothing matters but
    repeated attack and both dps and damage comes into play

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Damage> dps
    Dps is a fake stat imo.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Seiyen For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    351 Posts

Ive tested it before with the razer and the Nova... Dps does exist, but its mainly more noticeable in pve. In which case I would use a razer in pve over a nova, I found its a lot quicker at disposing targets.
    While in The pvp world Nova is better by a long shot, it seems damage is more useful in pvp.
    These are based on tested fireing shots i did on Zao :-) which he happily agreed too.
    Dps isnt effective at all in pvp that's why it seems like its a false stat.
    But in pve it can do more damage to the director bot than the nova does. I found it a lot quicker to take it down with a higher Dps weapon.
    "Still Retired but casually dueling in PvP from Time to Time"
    EXTREME BOSS SLAYERS Are Back!
    Wanting a signature? Send me a Pm (SL credits only)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitchturbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchturbo View Post
    Ive tested it before with the razer and the Nova... Dps does exist, but its mainly more noticeable in pve. In which case I would use a razer in pve over a nova, I found its a lot quicker at disposing targets.
    While in The pvp world Nova is better by a long shot, it seems damage is more useful in pvp.
    These are based on tested fireing shots i did on Zao :-) which he happily agreed too.
    Dps isnt effective at all in pvp that's why it seems like its a false stat.
    But in pve it can do more damage to the director bot than the nova does. I found it a lot quicker to take it down with a higher Dps weapon.
    ^ Finally someone I can agree on
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Play as if it's your last.
    Because in the End, You will face Judgement

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

I'm confused why you even bothered to put nova on that list? Fused Tempest Coil is basically an upgraded nova. All the stats are above the nova, I believe.

Dark Legends: Fear- Level 31
    Star Legends: Decay- Level 46 Operative
    Pocket Legends: Prestige- Level 53 Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seiyen View Post
    Damage> dps
    Dps is a fake stat imo.
    He speaks the truth!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    259 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Worship:747246
    So I have plenty of different pinks, and I try em all out. Recently, I noticed that there is such things as DPS (Haha I know..)
    And my Nova does 115 DPS, but my Primed Flux Cannon does 119.

Nova:
    -Damage: 61-99
    -DPS: 115

Flux Cannon:
    -Damage: 38-57
    -DPS: 119

thanks

PvE/Pvp

Flux Cannon - . Look at the "speed" on the gun info. It says there "0.4speed" thats faster than a nova. And ur like firing a gun like an op using duals.

In my experience . It can own a nova user even Ops with chrome Pheonix.

Flux cannon's
    Pros:
    -Attack "speed"
    - Range (12m)
    - Gun proc which can randomly PUSH
    -You know how to "Doggie"

Cons :
    - you look like an *diot when run/walk
    -
    -

Note:
    -when it pushes it means critical dmg
    - with thw said speed. One shot dmg of a nova is equal to 2shots of the flux cannon.
    -Prime Napalm Carb is the best hive gun. (pls dont agrue. Lol)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

As cero said above prime napalm is best hands down. For pve dps plays a role IMO. I notice a huge difference between using pistol shield and duals.have not testes duals in pvp so I do not have an opinion.

Edit : I'll test this later but logic says a higher dps would kill faster granted that no skills were used and other stats such as crit and hit are equal. Wouldn't make sense to have a fake stat :O

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kanozaki View Post
    As cero said above prime napalm is best hands down. For pve dps plays a role IMO. I notice a huge difference between using pistol shield and duals.have not testes duals in pvp so I do not have an opinion.

Edit : I'll test this later but logic says a higher dps would kill faster granted that no skills were used and other stats such as crit and hit are equal. Wouldn't make sense to have a fake stat :O
    In the old days Mitchturbo and I discovered an Electrorazer killed faster than a Nova in PvE, but Nova surpassed Razer in PvP. It could be the same now, the better DPS weapon (Primed Napalm) is better for PvE, while like a Tempest Coil would sometimes be better in PvP due to more damage.

So, a primed flux cannon would be better in PvE, while your nova would be better in PvP.
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes! -Billy Connolly

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaonabiuibil For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zaonabiuibil View Post
    In the old days Mitchturbo and I discovered an Electrorazer killed faster than a Nova in PvE, but Nova surpassed Razer in PvP. It could be the same now, the better DPS weapon (Primed Napalm) is better for PvE, while like a Tempest Coil would sometimes be better in PvP due to more damage.

So, a primed flux cannon would be better in PvE, while your nova would be better in PvP.
    interesting , ive heard stories about this too. Never had the chance to confirm it my self . You two ever figure out why this happens ? As for Primed napalm vs primed coil the coil would be better because of its crazy crit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kanozaki View Post
    interesting , ive heard stories about this too. Never had the chance to confirm it my self . You two ever figure out why this happens ? As for Primed napalm vs primed coil the coil would be better because of its crazy crit.
    It is because of the very thing we are discussing, DPS. An electrorazer could fire probably 1.2x as fast as a nova, so in 5 shots of a nova you could get 6 off a razer, so even with a nova having 10 damage over razer, a razer would produce like 50 more damage in those 5 nova shots than the nova itself would've in those 5 shots, because if a nova does 10 more it would be +50 over razer, but that is in 5 shots, while the razer would get 6 shots, doing 100 damage per shot, which would be 50 more than the nova did. It is a VERY slim difference, but a difference all the same. Now with PvP, the nova would surpass razer due to the function of damage = higher damage with skills, and the fact you only have to focus on 1v1 most of the time. As you said before with crit, crit is a %, a probablility of it working. We only worked with guarantees.
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes! -Billy Connolly