Thread: Automatic skill point distribution needs a fix

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Default Automatic skill point distribution needs a fix

After creating a couple of new alts recently, I noticed (too late) that the system was actually assigning points for me. I know this function has been there for a while but I hadn't created a new toon for a while too.

The thing is, the system does a really poor job in distributing points in str, int, dex. Below is an example of where my points for a lvl10 birds had gone...

After seeing that the system added points in STR and INT too, I started to understand why so many newbies distribute their points over str, int and dex instead of focussing on what's important for their class.

The system should teach new players where to put their points in, and focus on the most comon stat for the class. It should not, apparently randomly, start distributing stat points all over the place.

Now I know that there are a lot of valid options for each char (INT bears/birds, STR mage/birds...), but when a new player starts they should learn which stat is most comon for their class. If they follow the system, they'll just put points in stats all over the place without having a clue what's important or not.

IMO, the system should start adding points in DEX for birds, INT for mages and STR for bears (although bears could use some DEX too). That way, new players would at least have an idea of the most comon stats for each class.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JaytB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I agree 100%

I always thought new players did that on purpose
    PL: Moreavian, Swerveyolo,
    AL: Fightclub, Swag, Twitter, Merch, Mercher.
    DL: Morewizard
    SL: Morewizard, itsdubstep, Santaeng, Drdre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

wondered why noobs running around with 2h swords
    yea, yea, yea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    After creating a couple of new alts recently, I noticed (too late) that the system was actually assigning points for me. I know this function has been there for a while but I hadn't created a new toon for a while too.

The thing is, the system does a really poor job in distributing points in str, int, dex. Below is an example of where my points for a lvl10 birds had gone...

After seeing that the system added points in STR and INT too, I started to understand why so many newbies distribute their points over str, int and dex instead of focussing on what's important for their class.

The system should teach new players where to put their points in, and focus on the most comon stat for the class. It should not, apparently randomly, start distributing stat points all over the place.

Now I know that there are a lot of valid options for each char (INT bears/birds, STR mage/birds...), but when a new player starts they should learn which stat is most comon for their class. If they follow the system, they'll just put points in stats all over the place without having a clue what's important or not.

IMO, the system should start adding points in DEX for birds, INT for mages and STR for bears (although bears could use some DEX too). That way, new players would at least have an idea of the most comon stats for each class.
    Yes plz do not give all 3 dex,int,and str to one class. Give class its specific skills plz. My stats are pretty similar and I just turned the automatic thing off. Got to waste 2 plat now -_-

Rauekat-lvl 71 bird, Rauekit-lvl 68 bear, Rauekot-lvl 43 mage, Rauekatjr lvl 15 bird! Proud recruiter of "The Elite"! Soon to be officer I hope!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

But this is a foolproof way to promote plat expenditure. New players don't notice it happening. By the time they do, they have to get plat to fix it. Genius!

I dislike it as well. I think it should default OFF, and when you level, give you a pop up saying that you have points to spend, with an option there to have the system automatically assign it.

Let's make it SPARKLE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by morfic View Post
    But this is a foolproof way to promote plat expenditure. New players don't notice it happening. By the time they do, they have to get plat to fix it. Genius!
    Haha I was thinking the same thing but then I realised that they give each new player 10 plat. That's enough for some respecs.
    When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled / Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about and gallantly he chickened out / Bravest of the braaaave, Sir Robin!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Brave Sir Robin For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
    Haha I was thinking the same thing but then I realised that they give each new player 10 plat. That's enough for some respecs.
    Touche' Brave Sir Robin! Maybe its just a clever way to ingrain the act of spending plat into the essential functions of playing the game?

Let's make it SPARKLE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Touche' Brave Sir Robin! Maybe its just a clever way to ingrain the act of spending plat into the essential functions of playing the game?
    Maybe so but who can blame them
    When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled / Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about and gallantly he chickened out / Bravest of the braaaave, Sir Robin!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
    Maybe so but who can blame them
    Not I. Good idea.

I just always wondered why they did that to new players. It really ruins any decent builds.

Let's make it SPARKLE!

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

The main issue is that attribute points are, to be blunt, pointless.

What's the point of having an attribute system when the best way to allocate them is to have them all in one stat (unless you're a bear)?

In another thread I brought up the idea of having negative stats in gear that have a characteristic which is OP. I think the same concept, to some extent, can be applied to attribute points.

Hear me out...

As a given, we know each class has the following primary/secondary/weak stat:
    Bird - Dex / Str / Int
    Ench - Int / Dex / Str
    Bear - Str / Int / Dex (it's actually Str / Dex / Int, but let's go with Str / Int / Dex so that we work with a cyclical pattern)

Let's take 6 of the stat categories (hit/crit/dodge/armor/Ms/Hs) and assign two per attribute.
    For the sake of this discussion, let's group them as:
    Dex - Dodge/Crit
    Int - Hit/Ms
    Str - Armor/Hs

What I always wanted to see was a mechanic where, if you had too high a percentage of stats allocated somewhere, other stats begin to decline.

With the above pairings, if a bird were to go pure dex, the stats associated to Int (Hit/Ms) would begin to decline at some point.
    If an enchantress were to go pure int, the stats associated with Str (Armor/Hs) would begin to decline at some point.
    If a bear were to go pure str, the stats associated with Dex (Dodge/Crit) would begin to decline at some point.

The idea here is you basically wouldn't want to go pure. You would actually have to see how your stats change with your attribute allocations instead of blindly putting them all in one category.

Granted, there are details and allocation scenarios which aren't worked out here. This is just meant to hopefully allow people to think outside the PL box and see if another paradigm could possibly work better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drewcapu For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

I think it should default OFF, and when you level, give you a pop up saying that you have points to spend, with an option there to have the system automatically assign it.
    100%. Or have a part of the tutorial that explains it. It may already be there. I haven't gone through the tutorial in so long. Maybe its been added. When I started though, I didn't have a clue.
    Last edited by Rare; 08-21-2012 at 10:53 AM.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

I always forget to turn it off. I realize then I'm already level 2 and have to respec >_>

Sts should add an option whether to turn it on or off upon character creation like the "head start with gear and slots for 30 plat thing"
    PL:Xxkoopyxx~Xpertfarmer~Avianftw~Ithepvptwink~ Expertfarmer~Gratuity~Theaviantwink~Bearocalypsed~ Tehmagetwink~Tehbeartwink~Koopymerch+more AL:Thepvptwink~Xxkoopyxx~Ithepvptwink SL: Thepvptwink DL: Thepvptwink

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drewcapu View Post
    The main issue is that attribute points are, to be blunt, pointless.

What's the point of having an attribute system when the best way to allocate them is to have them all in one stat (unless you're a bear)?

In another thread I brought up the idea of having negative stats in gear that have a characteristic which is OP. I think the same concept, to some extent, can be applied to attribute points.

Hear me out...

As a given, we know each class has the following primary/secondary/weak stat:
    Bird - Dex / Str / Int
    Ench - Int / Dex / Str
    Bear - Str / Int / Dex (it's actually Str / Dex / Int, but let's go with Str / Int / Dex so that we work with a cyclical pattern)

Let's take 6 of the stat categories (hit/crit/dodge/armor/Ms/Hs) and assign two per attribute.
    For the sake of this discussion, let's group them as:
    Dex - Dodge/Crit
    Int - Hit/Ms
    Str - Armor/Hs

What I always wanted to see was a mechanic where, if you had too high a percentage of stats allocated somewhere, other stats begin to decline.

With the above pairings, if a bird were to go pure dex, the stats associated to Int (Hit/Ms) would begin to decline at some point.
    If an enchantress were to go pure int, the stats associated with Str (Armor/Hs) would begin to decline at some point.
    If a bear were to go pure str, the stats associated with Dex (Dodge/Crit) would begin to decline at some point.

The idea here is you basically wouldn't want to go pure. You would actually have to see how your stats change with your attribute allocations instead of blindly putting them all in one category.

Granted, there are details and allocation scenarios which aren't worked out here. This is just meant to hopefully allow people to think outside the PL box and see if another paradigm could possibly work better.
    you have obviously never seen mrsbanana pally or qwerty int bird
    yea, yea, yea