Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: PL Today – In-Depth Analysis and Long Term Outlook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts

all very true

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

I read every single word of this thread carefully through from start to finish. I must say I agree with just about everything except a few points made in the pvp twinking section. Also, you mentioned that the new forgotten weapons destroyed pvp for twinkers. Then later you mentioned that these new weapons changed pvp for everyone. Which one is it? Destroyed? Or changed?

The part that stood out the most for me was the idea of quitting PL. I've always felt obligated to play because I spent a fair amount of money on this game. But, recently my PL world got kind of rocked. Two years down the drain and I'm not entirely certain what to do now. I suppose I may quit. I really don't think PL is the game for me, but at the same time, I'm not sure if Ill be able to find a game that is. Hmm. Good thoughts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah View Post
    I read every single word of this thread carefully through from start to finish. I must say I agree with just about everything except a few points made in the pvp twinking section. Also, you mentioned that the new forgotten weapons destroyed pvp for twinkers. Then later you mentioned that these new weapons changed pvp for everyone. Which one is it? Destroyed? Or changed?
    Both. For some people destroyed. For others - changed. It really depends on the person and how they view twinking. For people that loved experimentation and variety, destroyed. For others that like consistency, changed, although even then, perhaps not for the better as gear/luck > skill.

The part that stood out the most for me was the idea of quitting PL. I've always felt obligated to play because I spent a fair amount of money on this game. But, recently my PL world got kind of rocked. Two years down the drain and I'm not entirely certain what to do now. I suppose I may quit. I really don't think PL is the game for me, but at the same time, I'm not sure if Ill be able to find a game that is. Hmm. Good thoughts!
    There are a lot of MMOs out there competing for time and money. My advice is try a few. See what you like and don't like. You may find PL is your home. Or you might not. You won't know until you try several other titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YYZ???? View Post
    Great Post! It rings true on many if not all points.

I have been actively playing 1 month shy of 2 years, and have never left for more than a few days.

The skill decline to me is saddest evolution of the game. Elixir's hide poor skill, and delay skill attainment. If you just nuke everything and do not have to worry about dying, what is there to learn?
    The thing is ... there's no incentive for STS to reduce elixir usage. If anything, there is every incentive for them to increase it.

It is possible for STS to make a boss where elixirs would not present a huge advantage. Such a boss would be one that tested the groups understanding of game and boss mechanics, where the superior dps, survivability, and movement speed did not represent a huge advantage. But such a boss would require a committed playerbase that was willing to endure wipes, learn from their mistakes, and keep going. That combined with the fact that such a boss would reduce platinum sales makes it unlikely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    274 Posts

Great thread. Be glad I brought you back to PL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YYZ???? View Post
    Can skill be brought back into the game? Hard to tell with elixirs so prevalent, but with the right game mechanics I think it can. Think of Fragx. You needed a bird to hit blast to break his armor. What if a new boss needed to be debuffed by a mage, blasted by a bird, and taunted by a bear to be beaten. This would bring together all classes and believe me, If the boss brought along decent drops the players would figure it out asap!
    It's an interesting idea. But it would also require ideal 5 man composition, which may not always be the case and 3 players, 1 of each class to be very well coordinated with each other.

That said, I support it, but realistically in a casual game, it's probably not going to happen unless PL begins the equivalent of raids.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts

destruction is basically an extreme change
    say i go and destroy the moon, the night sky is changed right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    Both. For some people destroyed. For others - changed. It really depends on the person and how they view twinking. For people that loved experimentation and variety, destroyed. For others that like consistency, changed, although even then, perhaps not for the better as gear/luck > skill.

There are a lot of MMOs out there competing for time and money. My advice is try a few. See what you like and don't like. You may find PL is your home. Or you might not. You won't know until you try several other titles.
    Ah that makes much more sense. And I've been trying Dark Legends, which I'm liking 10x better than PL. I'll be trying Swtor soon. Not sure how that will go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Ah that makes much more sense. And I've been trying Dark Legends, which I'm liking 10x better than PL. I'll be trying Swtor soon. Not sure how that will go.
    SWTOR is currently in decline and losing subscribers fast. Idk if that's a game I'd recommend. Given EA's history, I would not be surprised if they elect to shutdown the servers once it reaches a critical point.

Among the PC games, WoW, LOTRO, Rift, Guild Wars 2 are all highly recommended.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 08-25-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Just started pocket legends last week after only just finding out you could play MMO's on android! Don't have a PC to play games on anymore, though used to play WoW and EVE online lots.

This thread has just put me off sticking with PL though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frealaf View Post
    Just started pocket legends last week after only just finding out you could play MMO's on android! Don't have a PC to play games on anymore, though used to play WoW and EVE online lots.

This thread has just put me off sticking with PL though!
    As a game, PL is much less hardcore. The mechanics are simplified, the playerbase is much younger, and there is far less content. It's also based on micropayments rather than subscriptions.

It's hard to tell if you'll like it or not. But for me, it wasn't the game that it once was ... I'll say that much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Hey Who,
    Dude, dude, dude. I heard Yvonnel is also playing WoW, so first of all, say hallo to him for me.

Also, my gosh. You put a lot of time and effort in this thread, holy cow.

You really nailed it on the head today, and I hope STS takes this into account.

P.S. After this post, I remembered to finally email you once in a while, lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    SWTOR is currently in decline and losing subscribers fast. Idk if that's a game I'd recommend. Given EA's history, I would not be surprised if they elect to shutdown the servers once it reaches a critical point.

Among the PC games, WoW, LOTRO, Rift, Guild Wars 2 are all highly recommended.
    I wouldn't say they're in too much decline. The game is still very very young and they are going free to play soon. That's the main reasons for so much rage quitting and general dropping off the subscriptions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Hi Elf,

I recently came back to see what was going on in the end-game ctf world of PL. I noticed a huge reaction to me hiding behind my set, that pally's were so overpowered that I was suppose to win. That kinda caught me off guard since I remember pallys always being the tank that could rev and carry a flag to score. I never considered pally a viable option for beating int mages since int has more dmg and mana regen. This wasn't just one occurrence either although they were names I did not recognize.

The biggest issue besides balance/dodge is the negative range one receives due to moving backwards. Basically if you are moving away from a target you get a -2m (i believe its 2m but maybe more or less) in range. This has completely killed kiting for anyone with 12m+ skills/weapons. Even if dodge is corrected, dodge/armor will still have a massive advantage due to ranged classes not being able to kite. I was told that STS was responding to the weaker (noobs) players complaining about kiters. Did STS even bother asking what the majority of the pro pvper base thought about the ability to kite? I'm of the mindset they only listened to the whiners and didn't do an active study on what we pros think about kiting. Kiting takes skill and every class has the ability to counter it just like every class can counter countless other strategies.

The weak will continue to complain that they are weak in pvp/ctf. The only way to get strong is to die a lot and learn from those deaths. It seems STS doesn't agree and believes the playing field should be leveled to the point where everyone is equal regardless of time invested in learning ones craft.

Thanks for your time
    Kaarataka
    Last edited by Kaarataka; 08-25-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: grammar

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kaarataka For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaarataka View Post
    The weak will continue to complain that they are weak in pvp/ctf. The only way to get strong is to die a lot and learn from those deaths. It seems STS doesn't agree and believes the playing field should be leveled to the point where everyone is equal regardless of time invested in learning ones craft.

Thanks for your time
    Kaarataka
    Wow, exactly.
    I really have been trying to express that to people, I just couldnt find the words. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

mmm mmm. Hit the nail right on the head with that one. Though I don't see too much how it related to this thread lol...ofc it is a broad topic thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Kaarataka
    Indeed.

For a game like this to be worth playing, it should take time to build up skill. Those that don't want to ... there are social games on Facebook that should appeal to that type of player. But this is an MMO and it should be something not easy to do, even for mobile where the mechanics are simplified.

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

It's somewhat sad to say, it's the community that's been keeping me going in this game. At first, I liked how PL was, but then I later discovered (which was many, many months ago) that this is a very light, and casual MMO. The system is only even mores simplified, and as you have said before Who, it comes down to luck, money, and now equality for everyone. I can't put my skill into PvP as I used to be able to. (This includes glitches, but the main issue was when the user interface was changed the day Humania was released. That's when the bugs started to roll in.)

Don't fix what isn't broken. Improvement is always needed, but PL was fine the way it was before. There were many other basic PL needs that STS in my opinion could have worked on instead. I feel like we're back at the basics: simple game mechanics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XghostzX View Post
    It's somewhat sad to say, it's the community that's been keeping me going in this game. At first, I liked how PL was, but then I later discovered (which was many, many months ago) that this is a very light, and casual MMO. The system is only even mores simplified, and as you have said before Who, it comes down to luck, money, and now equality for everyone. I can't put my skill into PvP as I used to be able to. (This includes glitches, but the main issue was when the user interface was changed the day Humania was released. That's when the bugs started to roll in.)

Don't fix what isn't broken. Improvement is always needed, but PL was fine the way it was before. There were many other basic PL needs that STS in my opinion could have worked on instead. I feel like we're back at the basics: simple game mechanics.
    I'm gonna say this up front. It's not something that a lot of people are going to want to here, but most players here, if they played a PC MMO, would not get very far. Getting far in a PC game requires commitment, persistence, patience, and luck. The skill cap is much higher and stakes are much higher in such games in a PC game.

Your previous experience won't be a huge advantage because the skill cap has been reduced and the rewards are much lower for experience. But it is who STS is appealing to - casuals they see it as their future, and not in players like you or me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

You sir, deserve a sticky, This has just blown the doors open on everything I have been thinking but have not been able to put into words, The STS devs seem to mean well, giving everyone a chance at fair gameplay and equal levels, but that unfortunately isnt real life. Some people are better as some things then others (old days PvP for example) and STS has changed the skill and mechanics to who has the best combination of sets/rings etc.. Thanks so much for putting your time in to this, this deserves a look from the devs..