Thread: Level 71 Mage Build (INT)

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Default Level 71 Mage Build (INT)

Some people have asked, so I figured I might as well post it.

Heal: 6
    Lightning: 7
    Frostbite: 7
    Resurrect:1
    Fire: 7
    Drain: 7
    Icestorm: 6 (I think?)
    Nightmare: 7
    Weakness: 7
    Mana Shield: 1
    Blessing of Might: 7
    Blessing of Vitality: 7

I'm Pure INT! If you have any questions regarding rings, faces, combos, tips, etc. Feel free to ask!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XghostzX For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

As always, you da bomb... But I'd do 6 Icestorm and 7 Heal in your case.

If practice makes perfect and perfection is impossible, why practice?
    Oh, wait... No need to practice. iHax.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I was actually wondering how to distribute my skill points now that max = 7. Some points/questions:

1. Is this for PVP or PVE?

2. Completely agree with Blessings, Debuffs -> 7

3. If I want to give some points to Heal and Icestorm, is it OK to take them from Frostbite? Why is Frostbite so important? I noticed that Noodle doesn't want to take points from Frostbite either.

4. I have seen other people recommending Mana shield = 1, too. Others prefer maximising it (e.g. here). I know that shield gives an armor buff which increases with skill level, then if enemy hit > buffed armor points are taken from mana pool. What is best for PVE/PVP in your opinion?
    Last edited by Brave Sir Robin; 08-27-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: point 2 was unclear
    When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled / Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about and gallantly he chickened out / Bravest of the braaaave, Sir Robin!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    313 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin:761853
    Thanks for sharing. I was actually wondering how to distribute my skill points now that max = 7. Some points/questions:

1. Is this for PVP or PVE?

2. Completely clear why Blessings, Debuffs -> 7

3. If I want to give some points to Heal and Icestorm, is it OK to take them from Frostbite? Why is Frostbite so important? I noticed that Noodle doesn't want to take points from Frostbite either.

4. I have seen other people recommending Mana shield = 1, too. Others prefer maximising it (e.g. here). I know that shield gives an armor buff which increases with skill level, then if enemy hit > buffed armor points are taken from mana pool. What is best for PVE/PVP in your opinion?
    Frost bite is a must for pvp. Icestorm is by far the weakest skill for pvp. It has the least dmg, and shortest range.
    gf.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Walkhardd For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walkhardd View Post
    Frost bite is a must for pvp. Icestorm is by far the weakest skill for pvp. It has the least dmg, and shortest range.
    Thanks, this makes sense. So for PVP obviously Frostbite >> Icestorm. This also applies to PVE boss fights.
    When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled / Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about and gallantly he chickened out / Bravest of the braaaave, Sir Robin!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    274 Posts

Has anyone ever tried what max Mana does?

Lady_Pebbles

Thankies Ghost. I got my full INT mage up to lvl35 so far and came up with a similar build for when I hit endgame.

I wanted to ask, what ring do you use and do you use blue face or another?

Edit: Also what gear you using? o_O Plus... wand + shield or staff?

Last edited by Lady_Pebbles; 08-27-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gladycakes View Post
    Max mana shield? It offers a higher armor buff when in use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladycakes View Post
    Max mana shield? It offers a higher armor buff when in use.
    Yes, it offers +20 armor buff for 7 skill points. It is only +14 for 6 skill points.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    274 Posts

Okay, just wondering because mages always have it at 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

This is my (PvE) build...

Edit: I have ice storm at 5 because it only increases dmg by a very little for each skill point. On top that, it's dmg over time... Mobs die too fast to take advantage of it's effect IMO. Heal 7, cause I just love to see those health bars fill up when my team is getting pounded on
    Last edited by JaytB; 08-27-2012 at 04:15 PM.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I'm more disappointed at the homogenity of builds these days than anything else - it seems that nothing truly new, truly innovative has been introduced.

Edit:
    Perhaps Royce's stance a long time ago was the correct one indeed.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 08-27-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

I did 7 mana shield because it gives +20 armor
    Kaytar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

You guys have max mana shield... But just make sure you have debuffs too. Debuffs are really important for nukes.

If practice makes perfect and perfection is impossible, why practice?
    Oh, wait... No need to practice. iHax.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Hey guys, let me individually go over and respond to one another. I have always been into PvP more, if you want a PvE build, Pallies are for sure the way to go. There are different builds for PvE that suit a mage, but I've always been a hardcore PvPer. Ok let's answer some questions.

Noodle: In PvP, your frostbite/drain is maxing out the distance. If you pay attention, it's generally the first skill you go to, no? Unless adding an extra point into heal always give you a 100% chance to heal in PvP (if you're in battle, you have a about a 60% chance to heal) it's definitely not worth an extra point for an addition 10 health when you heal.

Brave sir:

1. PvP build

2.) The best Pvpers use debuffs. I can go into further explanation with a thread about it later, but if you watch any top notch PvPer, they know that debuffs are a must. (Of course, this is my playing style. I love to nuke, and debuffs are nice. If you like staying at a distance, that's fine too.)

3.) As mentioned above, it is a lot more common to focus on one enemy, as you can always target one enemy when you run into another player. Let's be honest... today's pvp is 1 vs. 1, correct? So I focused this as a 1v1 type at the same time, and this adds a better chance to freeze... adding one extra point into frostbite can be worthless for adding only an extra 10 damage (we don't use frostbite as much as ice storm.)

4.) Mana shield, it's a funny thing. Adding the extra points into mana shield for armor to me just seems silly. If you max it out, how much is it? like 20 armor'ish? In end game that's not a big deal. Maybe in twinking it is, but not in end game. With all of the lucky dodges, crits, etc. 29 armor never seems to help. I'd rather focus on having a damage build.

Lady: Hey Lady, I have a seperate twink for 35 pvp (twinkxghost) feel free to add him. 35 PvP really relies on less shielding, and more kiting/timing which I love. Anyways, I do use the blue face, and the ring (I have to check back on the name) costs 10 plat (sorry) and gives 1 h/s, 3 m/s, and I believe 1% crit or hit. All that matters is the 3 m/s given. Why? Have you ever been in those mana shield fights, and you just keep trying to press a skill desperately? Have the most mana regen gives you the best advantage in this situation. Thus the fact why I use it. As for the face, I may have to check back on them. My guess is that Hit percent should go over Crit at end game, but it's a small stat to add. (Just go for looks :P)

Whoisthis: Obviously this is a basic build. It's a basic game with basic game mechanics, no? Might as well help out as best as I can. Most players aren't a whiz at gaming mechanics as you are... I'm a sophomore in High school.(Not about the build though, it's all about the skill which you also know).

Hope I helped. I may make a video for PvPing.
    Last edited by XghostzX; 08-27-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Lady_Pebbles

Quote Originally Posted by XghostzX:762426
    Lady: Hey Lady, I have a seperate twink for 35 pvp (twinkxghost) feel free to add him. 35 PvP really relies on less shielding, and more kiting/timing which I love. Anyways, I do use the blue face, and the ring (I have to check back on the name) costs 10 plat (sorry) and gives 1 h/s, 3 m/s, and I believe 1% crit or hit. All that matters is the 3 m/s given. Why? Have you ever been in those mana shield fights, and you just keep trying to press a skill desperately? Have the most mana regen gives you the best advantage in this situation. Thus the fact why I use it. As for the face, I may have to check back on them. My guess is that Hit percent should go over Crit at end game, but it's a small stat to add. (Just go for looks :P)

Thanks for info! I usually just PvE on PL because I don't like the PvP there (I prefer DL's FFA style). However, your build also looks great for PvE as well. The way you describe it and how you use it in PvP gives me a better understanding of how this would work in PvE.

Thanks for the help. I recently came back to PL after about a year so Im trying to pick up where I left off.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady_Pebbles For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Yes, that was very helpful, thanks a lot. Looking forward to PVP video

For debuffs and buffs I was actually saying that I agree with you, edited my original post as it was a bit unclear.

I understand your point with Mana shield, more than 1 seems useless for 1v1 PVP. For PVE, on the other hand, if attacked by a group of 5-10 enemies a maxed mana shield can absorb 5 x 20 to 10 x 20 = 100 to 200 damage / sec which is not bad. Depending on your play style, it can be useful. E.g. in some runs we (bears and mages) pull enemies to a central corridor for mass destruction. In such cases, the amount of damage sustained can be massive so every bit of extra armor helps.
    Last edited by Brave Sir Robin; 08-28-2012 at 07:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

The big problem with extra damage and armor is that it doesn't scale with level. For that reason it is at 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
    Yes, that was very helpful, thanks a lot. Looking forward to PVP video

For debuffs and buffs I was actually saying that I agree with you, edited my original post as it was a bit unclear.

I understand your point with Mana shield, more than 1 seems useless for 1v1 PVP. For PVE, on the other hand, if attacked by a group of 5-10 enemies a maxed mana shield can absorb 5 x 20 to 10 x 20 = 100 to 200 damage / sec which is not bad. Depending on your play style, it can be useful. E.g. in some runs we (bears and mages) pull enemies to a central corridor for mass destruction. In such cases, the amount of damage sustained can be massive so every bit of extra armor helps.
    For sure, I understand if Mana Shield is the way to go for others. This is more of a leeway for players that aren't quite sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XghostzX View Post
    Some people have asked, so I figured I might as well post it.

Heal: 6
    Lightning: 7
    Frostbite: 7
    Resurrect:1
    Fire: 7
    Drain: 7
    Icestorm: 6 (I think?)
    Nightmare: 7
    Weakness: 7
    Mana Shield: 1
    Blessing of Might: 7
    Blessing of Vitality: 7

I'm Pure INT! If you have any questions regarding rings, faces, combos, tips, etc. Feel free to ask!
    U cant do 7 can u?