Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: The Mystery of the Dark Legends Pentagram

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

THIS IS WELL SAID. People have to realize that words and symbols are equivocal. That is to say they take on meaning....pentagram has it's roots so far up everything that scholars still debate to this very day its genesis.In fact some "occult" members wont use it because they fear it has it's roots in Christianity (star of David.)

Either way OP, I too am Christian and had this very same issues. My mate saw it and backed out right away...So my advice is, if this hinders your spiritual walk, please refrain from playing it. If it doesn't then go kick some monster's buttocks.

Quote Originally Posted by KillaSkillz View Post
    Since i don't want to type a long drawn out explanation for information that can be pulled easily off of wikipedia, check wikipedia. It is a symbol used for a very long time by many cultures and religions. Even christianity. It is used as a protection symbol and symbolizes the 5 wounds of christ (left and right feet, left and right hands, and the wound to his side).

It has roots in many cultures and every religion. people that don't know their own religions well, commonly confuse this symbol being satanic because of rock bands that used it (remember rock, even the mild stuff from the 1950 was considered the devils music).

that symbol is deeply rooted in the cultures of everyone on the planet and generally symbolizes the 4 elements fire ,earth, wind, water, and the fifth at the top, spirit with the circle representing the uniting all. Or as a symbol of man, 2 arms, 2 legs, and the head with the circle representing the spirit that unites all the parts into the whole (the spirit).

Regardless people will see and think whatever they please on any given subject. One persons cartoon mickey mouse, is another persons devil,
    or a symbol of capitalism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I swear you did NOT read this passage. LOL!!! but as a Brit that's Christian and eats black pudding...WOE UNTO TO MY SOUL. J/K black pudding is nasty!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Growwle View Post
    Then everyone who eats broth or stock is damned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

The best marow is found in the shin...like osso bucco....YUMMMY!!! ....AND KFC hot waainnngggs are off the chizzle....YUMMINESS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedenos View Post
    That's not real marrow in KFC . I think its mostly oatmeal. Like taco bell beef.
    Last edited by minamoo; 08-30-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah View Post

Then, all of the sudden, he says, "Whoa, I'm definitely not playing that game now." I was puzzled at this and asked him why. He then began to explain that he saw a demonic symbol in the game. Both him and I are of the Christian faith so you could see how this could maybe present a problem for us.

Because the idea of a demonic symbol in this epic vampire game was somewhat unsettling to me

It has nothing to do with vampires! So why put it in a predominantly vampire game, especially when it is so commonly misinterpreted as a demonic themed symbol? Personally, I don't think it should be used.

A quick thing to point out is that the star used in Dark Legends appears to be the one pointing down, rather than up. This is noteworthy because the Pentagram pointed down is much more closely related to Satanistic cults and, well basically just worse stuff in general.

So you may be wondering why I care so much. You may think "so there's a demonic star. Big deal." However there are really two main reasons why I wish that it would be replaced.
    Sorry the thread got derailed MM, but the problem came from the above (and the stuff edited out). Your post had strong religious undertones backing your reasoning for wanting the symbol changed. Despite how it was worded, it came across exactly like, "I am a christian and this demonic star upsets me and my friends, please consider changing it".

I know you clarified in your reasoning that this was not the case, but it kind of seems transparent. Just like if a pastor went into a book store, and asked the owner to remove a pagan/demonic book from their stock because it didn't "fit the mood" of the store. Even if he assured the store owner that it was not for religious reasons, no one would believe it.

Let's make it SPARKLE!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by morfic View Post
    Sorry the thread got derailed MM
    The thread was never derailed, this is still about what we can do within the confines of christian morals. Many arguments have erupted over the interpretation of the bible, and has caused many rifts in the faith, like the star's interpretation and what we may or may not eat. So technically, its still on topic. As for the thread, Micah wanted an answer, he wasn't making a request. Even I've commented on the theme having an occult feeling before, but someone (Stompartist maybe) told me it was a cultural thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Lol bone marrow...the passage was referring to cannibalism genius! Hahaha...

Oh and my friend got a good laugh at urqui's post! As did I

@Morfic I understand people took it the wrong way. That's why I told Kaytar to read the whole thing. I assumed he skimmed through and jumped to conclusions. (of course I jumped to conclusions in thinking that O.o) Honestly, though, I think people were just making a mountain out of a moll hill. If you read it again carefully, you'll realize I had not the slightest intention of shoving my beliefs in everyone's face and changing a video game because it "offends me."
    Last edited by MightyMicah; 08-30-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Not sure but it looks like the symbol from sorcerers apprentice. To lazy to look up
    To view this information you need a Spacetime Studios® Gold™ Account

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

* Awwwwww...offers Micah a quick Christianity hug. LOL

Micah , In the era we live, you only have to mention the word God or Jesus and this will be concluded as SHOVING your religion onto someone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Btw, the star of David has six points, not five.

Each star has a different symbolic meaning that can be interpreted in any way one wishes, yet the foundation will remain the same.

Also, as a symbol, Christ's blood, in the form of wine, which is consumed on a regular basis.

Symbols have a lot of meaning behind them, as a flag does for each of our countries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Very interesting thread. Good comments.

My take is, when we call something offensive, we are saying something about ourselves in most cases, rather than about the thing that we are offended by. In other countries around the world it's different, but here in 'the West', our governments allow their citizenry great latitude in expression, and we 'ban' relatively few things. I think the hope is, authorities will only limit expressions that a large majority of us feel offended by, rather than the government telling it's people, 'we find this offensive, how you feel about it is unimportant, we're banning it because we don't like it and that's the end of it'. For that reason the argument often made to other citizens by many folks in the West who find some object or expression offensive is 'don't you all agree that this is offensive?' as they try and gather enough support to persuade authorities to limit or outright ban something. MM, I didn't get the impression you were trying to make such an argument.

Despite Carapace's clear description of how the decision to use the symbol was arrived at (thanks for that, Cara) I think it's difficult to separate the idea of religion from any discussion of such symbology. I think somebody mentioned the use of satanic symbology in some rock albums and artwork. I love rock, but I think you could make a strong argument in such cases that the symbology was being used to intentionally try and offend. In some of those cases...okay, you win, I'm offended. I certainly don't think that was the case here in DL. I'm a Christian, but my beliefs are internal, and in general I don't (or try not to) take offense at outward things. According to my beliefs, God gave Man free will, so I'm loathe to step on somebody else's right to exercise that free will, and say or do as they wish. I didn't come to faith in God because of anything that a man created, and likewise I don't think anything that a man (or woman, sorry) created will take me away from that faith.

In the end, I agree with the argument others have already made; if something offends me, here in my country the responsibility is on me to walk away, not on someone else to change their work to suit me.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phoenician1 For This Useful Post: