Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many level 45 douchebags

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Too many level 45 douchebags

If you boot everyone level 44 and below REGARDLESS OF THEIR GEAR/STATS, then you have some kind of offset complex.

There's no reason (except looting solo or with friends or reserving a spot for a friend) to kick anyone who is willing to play hard. Especially when they have gear that can able them to keep up with any 45.

Messages like "sorry, you need to level more, have a nice day *boot*"

Or

"this won't work out *boot*"

Or my favorite: "you shouldn't be here"

I simply don't get it. I understand kicking someone with horrible gear at a low level, they're a liability. But a level 40 who has all skills and same great gear?

Discuss =)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Obviously not all 45s! Just a good handful that I noticed.
    The MAJORITY are extremely nice and helpful.

But the select few that fill 5 our of 7 games ar any moment don't give leveling a easy thought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

i agree. remotely. exceptions: PvP... you really shouldn't be there.
    Boss Maps : You shouldn't be there.
    Everything else: why boot?
    My Name is Vulgarstrike, SilentCries, Ordinary, Attractive, Investment
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    you should be able to have some fun
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnInfinity View Post
    Ahhhhhh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Boss Maps? wtf is that?
    i saw her once, and swore i was in love...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not PVP or Boss maps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

There is no way to tell if the maker of the game instance is intending to rush, to clear the map, to play the maps sequentially, to farm kills, etc. We take the risk of rejection every time we enter an unknown player's game instance.

The way to fix it, I think, is to give the maker of the instance some more settings. The default can still be that everyone can join, but the settings could be minimum level, filtered by type (warrior, archer, enchantress), minimum stats (stat Y must be X). Then, if an instance is created for rush farming, they can say level 45, warriors, str 145. Then they can stun and run all day. Another example, for a pickup game to clear all five maps of AO1 might be level 35, any, any. This would serve simply to filter out any moochers.

Also, we would get to see the settings, and we would feel more inclined to join a pickup group if we saw that, yes there is one player level 45 but the settings are for anyone over level 40. And we wouldn't be able to join anything that we were filtered out of.

Otherwise, for now, you take your risks. If you find like-minded people, you friend them. When you log in the next day, if they are there, you join them.

I don't think they are jerks. It can feel that way when I get booted because I don't like rejection, but they don't have any options either, except to use a password, which defeats the idea of a pickup group.
    Last edited by Snakespeare; 09-02-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^i completely understand but my point is their rudeness and cockiness. Getting booted out 5 straight games seems a
    Bit too excessive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Yeah, but that's something that nobody can control. Human Nature and all that.

I have only ever booted one person, for using racial slurs. I should have taken a screen cap and mailed it, but by the time I realized it, the text had scrolled away. If I don't like someone mooching off me for XP, I just leave. Sometimes I rile up a bad guy, run past the mooch, and quit. LOL!

But I almost never boot. So, if you see Snakespeare's game, you are welcome to join.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    Yeah, but that's something that nobody can control. Human Nature and all that.

I have only ever booted one person, for using racial slurs. I should have taken a screen cap and mailed it, but by the time I realized it, the text had scrolled away. If I don't like someone mooching off me for XP, I just leave. Sometimes I rile up a bad guy, run past the mooch, and quit. LOL!

But I almost never boot. So, if you see Snakespeare's game, you are welcome to join.
    I'm afraid I've used the boot recently more than I'd like But, not for people being lvl 40, Volksy. In fact, level 30's and up are welcome if there's room AND if they hold their own. If they play their hearts out and are being good teammates, I let them stay. If they run off alone, they die w no Rez. If they leech or are jerks, I boot them. I have in fact had arguments (often w Mynas Gen 45's) who demand I boot the under 45's. It's usually like Snakespeare says- it's 45's who want to rush. The truth is I have more trouble w/ 45's who refuse to respect that I'm map clearing.They either try to rush anyway or wait til we're near the boss and then try to sneak & rush. Boot. You're welcome in my game if you see me on...
    Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling. ~ Thoreau
    FURRAWN 45 Paladin ButterflyPoet 45 pure dex ScarlettOHara 45 Intbear Jeannedarc 22 Mage Trickortreat lvl 22 100% pure organic chicken Christmastree 13 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is your name in game Furrawn?
    I sent a request to both you and snake

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Volksy View Post
    Is your name in game Furrawn?
    I sent a request to both you and snake
    Hi, Volksy...
    Yes, I play Furrawn the most. The other chars I play are in my signature... In addition, I have thesnowqueen and henbane ( they are just tots right now)... I look forward to playing with you... And you'll love playing w/ Snakespeare... He's a true good guy...
    Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling. ~ Thoreau
    FURRAWN 45 Paladin ButterflyPoet 45 pure dex ScarlettOHara 45 Intbear Jeannedarc 22 Mage Trickortreat lvl 22 100% pure organic chicken Christmastree 13 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Furrawn View Post
    Hi, Volksy...
    Yes, I play Furrawn the most. The other chars I play are in my signature... In addition, I have thesnowqueen and henbane ( they are just tots right now)... I look forward to playing with you... And you'll love playing w/ Snakespeare... He's a true good guy...
    Thanks for the props, Furrawn.

Volksy, I got your request. Thanks. I have two characters in the low 40s, so I will add you from their Friends pages, too.

p.s. I am a VW owner, too, if that's what your name means.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everyone has their own preference to who they want in their games, some are tolerant and fair, some are unnecessarily rude, and others are just plain malicious.

Unfortunately there's no real way to Mark your game as a rush/farming game, and until there is we'll always run the risk of ending up in one of these games where we don't meet the hosts entry requirements.

Personally I think anyone hosting a game for a pick up group should be prepared to be quite lenient, anyone wanting to farm 'hardcore' should have their game passworded and be playing with friends, in a pre organised game.

Perhaps if/when players have the ability to set entry requirements for games this problem will be mostly eradicated. And I think when groups are implemented in game people can (hopefully) just use an LFG feature to search for like minded players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmc85uk View Post
    Everyone has their own preference to who they want in their games, some are tolerant and fair, some are unnecessarily rude, and others are just plain malicious.

Unfortunately there's no real way to Mark your game as a rush/farming game, and until there is we'll always run the risk of ending up in one of these games where we don't meet the hosts entry requirements.

Personally I think anyone hosting a game for a pick up group should be prepared to be quite lenient, anyone wanting to farm 'hardcore' should have their game passworded and be playing with friends, in a pre organised game.

Perhaps if/when players have the ability to set entry requirements for games this problem will be mostly eradicated. And I think when groups are implemented in game people can (hopefully) just use an LFG feature to search for like minded players.
    I completely agree with everything you just said...
    I am lenient when I host an open game, but I have to admit to being furious when someone joins MY open game and DEMANDS that we rush, insults me as if I'm not a "good enough" player to rush, or tries to rush anyway. I had a game yesterday, quite a good group actually, when someone joined & whinged about how unbelievable it was that we were not rushing. Finally, he says, "Well, I'll stay but only because you guys are so fast at clearing the map." It took everything I had not to hurl a sarcastic, "Don't do us any favors."

I really think we seriously need a way to give and see extra info about the games we're hosting and joining... A lot of problems (and asinine behavior) could be avoided... Besides, it just makes sense.

We just need to be able to mark them things like:
    RF rush farming
    MC map clear
    And then a qualifier if we wish like "lvls 30 and up only" or "lvl 45's only" etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmc85uk View Post

And then some are rude and nice at the same time. I got booted from a game farming swamps when I was 41 with no explanation. Then like a minute later, the owner of the game sent me a friend request. So go try to figure that one out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Furrawn View Post
    I completely agree with everything you just said...
    I am lenient when I host an open game, but I have to admit to being furious when someone joins MY open game and DEMANDS that we rush, insults me as if I'm not a "good enough" player to rush, or tries to rush anyway. I had a game yesterday, quite a good group actually, when someone joined & whinged about how unbelievable it was that we were not rushing.
    I've had this happen too, I really think it'd help if there was a flag by a player name to indicate they were the leader so that people could ask, even so it's polite to ask the whole group what they're doing, but still fair enough to ask if they'd like to rush.

I really think we seriously need a way to give and see extra info about the games we're hosting and joining...
    I definitely agree here, perhaps a way to define all entry requirements and a comments box when creating a game, and then an 'Info' button on the join game screen to view these details in a pop-up window. If there was also a way to view info from inside the game this would eradicate the need to ask when joining through quick play and not the join game screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bentmer View Post
    And then some are rude and nice at the same time. I got booted from a game farming swamps when I was 41 with no explanation. Then like a minute later, the owner of the game sent me a friend request. So go try to figure that one out.
    Funnily enough I actually joined an early campaign game (LE I think) on one of my capped characters the other day and was booted instantly, I didn't get a friend request though, I'm obviously not cool enough

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

I put my suggestion on this topic in the Suggestions forum. But wow, it would be way simpler if they just put a text field where you could say, "we need a healer" or something. But you just know someone will put profanity in it, even though they will get banned. Or they would put a pay-to-play price, which I'm not sure is allowed.

So, I still think my system of checkboxes that I suggested would be best. Everything would default to anyone, but in my imagined setting dialog you could specify who is welcome by 1. level, 2. class, 3. minimum stat. Then when you look at the available games, you could instantly tell if you were going to be booted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think you should ever be able to restrict class for games, it's fair enough that you might want to fill slots with certain characters depending on what makeup you want for the group, but to put a strict filter on anyone entering the game is unfair IMO. If players want games like this, it should be by their own organisation getting a group together, and playing in a locked game.

I'm not sure why you think my suggestion would be so complex, sure, it would require more work on new UI screens and menu buttons, but in the long run it provides everything you need, the main reason I suggested an info window for the join game screen is because of how crowded the list is already, I think jamming any more details on there would just be messy.

This isn't something I mind waiting for, I find it easy enough to play as I like already, this would just be a fantastic touch and make the game feel that much more polished.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont know if I should apologize here or not, but you best believe that if I'm farming several hundreds of games I really don't want a lvl 40 coming along for the ride to get free pinks while I do all the hard work. Some of us don't want dead weight when we are farming for ultra rare items. It's not being a "certain kind of bag". We can't level restrict, so if you are underlevel, I'm pretty sure you will get the idea of why you have been booted from a game full of 45s. It just is... host your own game or set your join game settings to show by level, scroll down to the young 40s running AO1 or AO2 and go after it with them. That is what I did...
    Kavanah: "Cinco, would you rather be in a Norma Jean or As I Lay Dying mosh pit?"
    Cinco: "Norma Jean, in that case /mosh"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

I was saying that Furrawn's suggestion would be the easiest to implement. Yours sounds fine. I don't think it would be too complex. I would prefer something at a glance, but I am using an iPad where there seems to be plenty of available space. I don't know about the iTouch interface. Maybe a pop-up is better for the smaller screen.