Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to use Battery Saver Slider on SGS3?

Akihabara Denki Gai (Home of all the OTAKUS! XD)- Tokyo, Japan :)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Bron, i know u mentioned that you're not going to root, but i assure you, the only REAL, effective way to play sts games for hours on a single charge is to root, underclock and use a battery saving governor.

The battery saver slider in sts mobile clients does help, but not too much as ur phone's max frequency it could run at is still the same(means at some point of time, especially in B*, ur phone would frequently clock itself to a much higher frequency due to demand-25 players in some B* bases.)

Lower frequency=better battery savings.

That's from my experience using a modified sgs III.

An alternative is that you can get a battery with a higher capacity(3000+MAH) if you don't want to root(maybe about $10+++ on Ebay?).

Sent from my ASUS Nexus 7 via Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by HunterSLAYER; 10-03-2012 at 01:12 AM.
    DO NOT INVITE ME TO YOUR GUILD IN SL UNLESS IT'S EBS TYVM!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Xperia play - undervolted, rooted, and flAshed with jellybean, clocked at 1.3ghz!

Zzz
    L15 Mage - Certificates. L12 Behr - Certificate. L15 Teamer Mage - Duuq

THE DUUQS WILL RULE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Not rooting. It's not worth it to me. One screw up, 350+ bucks gone. That's the end of story on rooting any new device. Can't afford to replace = no taking risks. If I root any it will be the MT 4G. I can afford to brick that.

Please link me a compatible battery (the search, not a specific item cause I don't know when I will get it), cause you can bet I'm interested. The only thing is I'm worried the NFC is tied to the battery and not the phone body itself.

Bod did I mention you rock with all this cool info?
    Last edited by bronislav84; 10-03-2012 at 02:13 AM.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ardon View Post
    Task killers are a myth.
    They work upto android 2.1,from 2.2 they get messed up....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    293 Posts

Shoot. I'm betting that as popular the sgs3 is there is a one click root out there that doesn't even require adb to be installed. Not to mention that since cyanogen has started working for Samsung they seem to be focusing on their devices. I <3 cyanogenmod.

-----
    *insert witty tapatalk sig here*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seiyen:800526
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardon View Post
    Task killers are a myth.
    They work upto android 2.1,from 2.2 they get messed up....
    Yea I've had decent luck with them on 2.3.4 if you just use screen off and auto. You just start running into unkillable apps more and more over time.

There's still the matter of anti root games, Death. Really, ain't happening. Maybe in 2 years when this phone us crap and I upgrade to the 5 or 6. Or the equivalent HTC phone.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 10-03-2012 at 07:32 AM.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    293 Posts

Anti root games? I don't know what you mean.

-----

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Deathpunch For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    Isn't that just clearing out shortcuts from recently used apps though? Like the recent apps (notification bar) in 2.3 and lower but they seem to let you clear those. They're still in memory.

I always have notifications off too, but it's not a good idea to be so behind on apps. Almost all of mine are games. I'd hate to wanna play something and find out it needs an update to play, like a new Legends client.

But yea the battery life really rules. So far anyway. I need to order a second battery though, I think, for when I do need a new one and they become hard to find.
    Why don't you check the "Stop app via long-press" option under Developer options?
    I use that all the time and it even kills persistent services completely(whatsapp, facebook or any app that has push notification functionality.)
    Last edited by HunterSLAYER; 10-03-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deathpunch View Post
    Anti root games? I don't know what you mean.

-----
    Dl this and i can guarantee you it wouldn't work unless u patch it,disable su before launching the app, limit app permissions or completely unroot your device.
    The loophole in this app is at first launch(only at 1st launch) it checks whether your device is rooted or not.
    If i would to merely rename part of the su files in xbin to Mu root access is "disabled" and i would be able to launch the app.
    Subsequent launches will work even if root access is granted to the same device you installed this app on.

*Ahem Devs before you give me an infraction let me tell you this is legal as in no way am i modifying the app itself(but merely modifying files in my own device, which i solely own, not them.)
    Com2us never said i couldn't disable root access to run the app.
    In fact, they said "Unroot your device" before using this app.
    Last edited by HunterSLAYER; 10-03-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Not rooting. It's not worth it to me. One screw up, 350+ bucks gone. That's the end of story on rooting any new device. Can't afford to replace = no taking risks. If I root any it will be the MT 4G. I can afford to brick that.

Please link me a compatible battery (the search, not a specific item cause I don't know when I will get it), cause you can bet I'm interested. The only thing is I'm worried the NFC is tied to the battery and not the phone body itself.

Bod did I mention you rock with all this cool info?
    Here you go Bron.
    http://www.mugen-power-batteries.com...tery-door.html
    *Price also includes a FAT cover(White/Blue) to fit the FAT BATTERY.
    NFC ready.

More than 2x of the original Stock Battery's capacity.
    Even without ROOT, i assure you it can last at least 4-5 days with normal internet surfing, emails calls and social updates on LTE(or even longer given the Battery's HUGE capacity).
    The bat capacity is overkill LOLZ.

If you're on a budget and don't feel like spending too much but still want a battery that can last maybe a day more than the stock battery look at this instead as it's almost ten times cheaper than the one listed above:
    [with WHITE cover]
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Exte...ht_1630wt_1037

[with BLACK cover]
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3600mAh-Li...ht_1490wt_1271

[with DARK BLUE cover]
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3600mAh-Li...BUFI%26otn%3D1

*Note: Except for the First 3600 MAH battery that comes with the white cover, the others are not NFC READY.
    Last edited by HunterSLAYER; 10-03-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    293 Posts

Triple post much? Lol! Crap on that anti root crap. It's my device, and I'll do as I please.

-----

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HunterSLAYER:800768
    Isn't that just clearing out shortcuts from recently used apps though? Like the recent apps (notification bar) in 2.3 and lower but they seem to let you clear those. They're still in memory.

I always have notifications off too, but it's not a good idea to be so behind on apps. Almost all of mine are games. I'd hate to wanna play something and find out it needs an update to play, like a new Legends client.

But yea the battery life really rules. So far anyway. I need to order a second battery though, I think, for when I do need a new one and they become hard to find.
    Why don't you check the "Stop app via long-press" option under Developer options?
    I use that all the time and it even kills persistent services completely(whatsapp, facebook or any app that has push notification functionality.)
    It's not there man. There's only destroy process soon as the user leaves it, and that seems to be doing zilch. Is this the option that kills recent apps but does it silently?

And thanks for the battery links dude. You rock too. I will check them out. Seriously worried about battery with STS games, which is why I made this thread. Any idea how long the fat battery takes to charge? If it takes an eon to charge, I'll probably get the other NFC compatible battery.

That's right Death, the kind of apps Hunter explained. They won't run as is.

Anybody got time to help me in Off Topic?
    Last edited by bronislav84; 10-03-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

It's not there man. There's only destroy process soon as the user leaves it, and that seems to be doing zilch. Is this the option that kills recent apps but does it silently?

And thanks for the battery links dude. You rock too. I will check them out. Seriously worried about battery with STS games, which is why I made this thread. Any idea how long the fat battery takes to charge? If it takes an eon to charge, I'll probably get the other NFC compatible battery.

That's right Death, the kind of apps Hunter explained. They won't run as is.

Anybody got time to help me in Off Topic?
    4600 mah Hmm...I didn't buy one(cos' i didn't need it =.=''') but i would say 4-5 hours min. charge time max 7 hours(based on my charge time for a 3200 MAH battery>>3-4 hrs i bought from Ebay from the same seller lol).
    If you think of it, you can go without charging your phone for several days lol and btw the 4600 mah battery is also NFC ready as stated at the page(of the link i sent you, just scroll down.)

Regarding the "Stop app via long press on back button option" i forgot it's only included in phones with cm9 and above roms, sry bron :/
    Last edited by HunterSLAYER; 10-03-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Welcome to the GS3 family. Mines not rooted and I run half slider battery lasts forever. Also I'd look for another FB app friendcaster is a battery hog. I use stock apps and it does fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Thank you for the welcome Zero, and the info. I haven't been able to find another app that has an app/widget like what I was used to on my old phone. Came pre installed. Caster seems to be the closest to what I'm used to. I killed all it's notifications, just use app/widget.

Dang the first battery is pricey as all heck but I always seem to overcharge my phone's battery (Bad luck, ruined my old one like that) and this one seems like it could last the 22 months. I'll see if I can get one in November. Can't afford much of anything right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

You might want to carry an extra battery in your wallet. I do and it doesn't bother me. Just a quick battery switch and boom, fully charged battery
    Main: Ardon lvl 41 Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

I actually used to do that with my old phone. External acting as first (Internal dead-ish), and spare internal to swap in. Shelved the old stuff now though, heh.

What I'm thinking of doing is using the stock battery for a couple months then buying the 90 dollar battery Hunter showed, then the stock battery would become my spare in case that monster one ran out. Figure if I buy a second battery it should be good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Yeah, that's pretty much what I do. There's never enough power to be had
    Main: Ardon lvl 41 Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

But yea Ardon, I much appreciate the reminder to do that. I was going to but then forgot, but then remembered about a spare (Had no idea what to do with the stock once I got the bigger one) thanks to you. Been too absorbed in how awesome this phone is. Now if only I could finally start taking screens with it.

Oh wait, I can't yet because I'm wondering what's going on with the internal storage: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...in-android-4-x

Can anybody help in that thread please?
    Last edited by bronislav84; 10-03-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Why can't you take screens with it?

ICS = Hold down Power and Home button.

JB = Hold down Power and Down button.

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o