Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Why no more combo pets?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

Default Why no more combo pets?

Ellie/Hawken/Gobi pets give a combo bonus if you have 1 of each pet in party, they weren't very good when they came out but I remember devs saying more combo pets of higher rarity might come later but none ever did as far as I know?

Just wondering if there is any plans for more combo pets or if the idea was scrapped for good?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Thewolfbull For This Useful Post:

3.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #2
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,171 Posts

That was some unique gameplay!

Sorry to say there are no plans for continued investment in the sort of AA combo matrix that the Tri Force pets provide.

When they were released the AA combo matrix was actually very good. Unfortunately to reap the benefits of these powers your party requires strong communication and coordination. Given that random/ PUGs are the standard in AL we discovered that the powerful "coordinated combo" route is undesirable and thus future expansion on this concept is doomed :-/

Best wishes!
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinco View Post

Sorry to say there are no plans for continued investment in the sort of AA combo matrix that the Tri Force pets provide.

When they were released the AA combo matrix was actually very good. Unfortunately to reap the benefits of these powers your party requires strong communication and coordination. Given that random/ PUGs are the standard in AL we discovered that the powerful "coordinated combo" route is undesirable and thus future expansion on this concept is doomed :-/

Best wishes!
    Ya, maybe with short phrases buttom but too much work

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts

Best wishes!
    Co-ordinating pet is very important actually and this is what everyone does in parties. AL is mainly played in parties so people can avoid mythic set users because you guys made mythic irrelevant. Might as well be naked, it won't make much difference without Kraken proc.

Anyhow, if you guys actually made a strong combo of pets, most players would love it. The reason the tri-force pet actually failed was due to lack in power.

If you guys made a combo that granted 100 ED + BD + 100% damage for example, it would actually make everyone want to combo their pets together.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ploid For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ploid View Post
    Co-ordinating pet is very important actually and this is what everyone does in parties. AL is mainly played in parties so people can avoid mythic set users because you guys made mythic irrelevant. Might as well be naked, it won't make much difference without Kraken proc.

Anyhow, if you guys actually made a strong combo of pets, most players would love it. The reason the tri-force pet actually failed was due to lack in power.

If you guys made a combo that granted 100 ED + BD + 100% damage for example, it would actually make everyone want to combo their pets together.

Surely +1
    But we shouldnt waste time writing for co irdinate, maybe like emotes whe May have a buttom to give a signal or a short phrases

8.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,171 Posts

I wish I could agree but I can’t: at the time the Tri Force pet combos were patently OP. They aren’t now but they were back then.

Doing the work to make a new OP combo pet matrix sounds like a big waste of time - unless there’s been some major cultural shift where players have decided that planning, coordination and communication are worthwhile.

Has that happened?

I’d be delighted to hear “yes.” :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts

I wish I could agree but I can’t: at the time the Tri Force pet combos were patently OP. They aren’t now but they were back then.

Doing the work to make a new OP combo pet matrix sounds like a big waste of time - unless there’s been some major cultural shift where players have decided that planning, coordination and communication are worthwhile.

Has that happened?

I have to disagree with both you about why tri force failed as someone who tried to use them back then
    I got all 3 of them so I could try to use the correct pet if I ever saw anyone with another one

They didn’t fail because of power, or lack of player coordination and communication, they failed because of the mechanics

If you wanted to use them to the greatest effect you would want to collect the largest group of mobs for the combo
    Problem is when you have a large group of mobs pets will focus on mobs they first encounter which will inevitably end up being ones on the outside of where you want their AA to be

You can’t coordinate the pets, you can’t stop them from attacking undesirable mobs, you can’t place them ideally

Yes you can try to run to the ideal spot to pull the pets into position but by the time you do that most of the mob was dead

That was before proc stack meta, & I don’t think we had the pet options for loot or combat, so pets sometimes are attacking barrels
    Even if I’m wrong on that last sentence, I’d defend the idea that combo pets failed because of pet mechanics
    \m/,____( >. < ‘ )________,\m/
    Suentous

“The Cult” does not exist. Stop asking questions!

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Has that happened?

Casual/pubby lobbies, no. However, parties or made groups are usually prepared, coordinated, and have exceptional communication (also, most of these groups/parties are well-geared).

To be fair, you can get teamwork in casual/public lobbies, but that's only if you join with veterans who know how the mechanics work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts

Has that happened?

I have to disagree. In a party, players are often told to not use the same AA as they don't stack. This is a clear indication of coordination.

In a party, everyone uses different AAs to maximize their DPS. This is basically what the tri-force combo was meant to be except combine the effects and amplify to make an even stronger effect.

Also back then, except planar Arena, there were basically no maps where only boss fights occurred. In a long run on average map (KT4 for example), it's pointless to coordinate pets even in an organized party.

But with elite portal bosses we have today, I can see the potential of pets synergy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts

I have to disagree. In a party, players are often told to not use the same AA as they don't stack. This is a clear indication of coordination.
    So if everyone was coordinating as Cinco says wasn’t happening, and - this combo effect was powerful as he says:
    Why did this combo fail?

Which is wrong?
    \m/,____( >. < ‘ )________,\m/
    Suentous

“The Cult” does not exist. Stop asking questions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stephencobear View Post
    So if everyone was coordinating as Cinco says wasn’t happening, and - this combo effect was powerful as he says:
    Why did this combo fail?

Which is wrong?
    The combo came when people ran "normal" dungeon maps like KM3 for example, no strategy was required back then except "kill mobs, kill boss", I think Planar Arena was the only place where you would have boss fights.

If I recall correctly, you could easily kill Planar Arena bosses without help from pets even at level 41 cap. The demand wasn't there during those times.

Also, I tried using the combo when these pets dropped after Eggzavier back then, they felt awful to use even in Planar Arena. No damage, no nothing, combo felt non-existant.

A good pet combo that gave OP stats would be amazing in portal maps like EVG, E Rahab, E Ekenta, E Mecha, Hedourah.

In short, the combo wasn't necessary back then.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Best wishes!
    I think giving us combo in aa was hard for players to perform and still is you are right about it .
    But what about passive or hb bonus ?
    Like if you have all 3 pets as base pet in map at the same time they will give special bonus to each player .
    All 3 pets will be class specific pets as base they will give unique abilities to our attack or defensive skills .
    Like warrior pet let us throw 3 axe instead of one same as glint set (just an example )
    Or vengeful blood will provide 2x buff of what it provide .
    Rouge will shoot 2 aimed shot
    And mage shield will provide everyone 2 sec of immunity .
    All are examples above but this can be done this way also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I liked the idea behind the pet combo, but at that time there were other pets better than the combo ones, so it made sense to use those instead. Like others have mentioned above, I would probably enjoy a powerful pet combo bonus like 100% boss damage or anything else but it has to be powerful to be worth the time and effort synchronizing with other people.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

.... It just gets worse.

Remake/revamp the game and make pets do nothing but pick up loot.

The whole concept of pets is a failure. The long term has proven that. Just make pets do nothing but pick up loot and have skins.

I promise you it would be less of a headache.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

What about pet combos gives
    Nature and corruption damage and antidote bonuses.
    In passive instead of aa.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

No the whole concept is bad that's why it's never used in other ARPGS.

if other Arpgs have pets they only pick up loot and or give small bonuses nothing to the extent of what's in a.l.

it's because the long term doesn't make sense the whole concept gets bricked and it just repeats it self because once you make a few pets top tier they'll remain top tier for a long time.

Example: Sam,sns,breeze,nekro,glow.

all you'll see is new pets with the same passives, happiness bonuses, and similar aa's on repeat that are increased. increased buffs or increased debuffs.

Like I've tried to explained this before.

It gets to a point where pets can't even apply their debuffs because mobs die so fast and Most bosses are immune to most of the mechanics. So stuns,freezes, paralyzes , reduce armor and etc.

It's super weird and makes 0 sense it's like they gave up. No other arpg has this problem only this one.

to stay on topic This whole thing with the pet triforce combo was never powerful. It was NEVER O.P and I know because I tested with my guild mates. Both pve and pvp. There's also a thread were someone detailed that this combo wasn't powerful.

Sam,sns,Breeze,nekro, and glow were the best for a long time and I mean A LONG TIME.

These pets did everything so there wasn't a need for that pet tri force combo. It was a gimmick. That's it

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Potofgreed For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Has that happened?

Yes for me, Sire.

Sent from my Infinix X6812B using Tapatalk