I've seen recently a thread where people requested a new egg slot for passive. If there will ever be a revamp of the companion system this is the way I see it:

There will be 4 Companion Feature lists to choose from and build your ultimate companion.

When you open an egg you will receive the following 4 features : appearance (the skin), a passive ability, an active ability and an arcane ability. Each feature will have its own list to choose from. Every time you want to change a feature you'll use Story Tokens.

Boolster : It will increase the base damage of the pet with a certain percent based on number of pets available in collection.

Companion base damage will be streamlined and linked to a general companion level.

Instead of leveling each companion individually, the new system will allow you to level your active companion's damage.

For example: Companion level is 30 and it provides 400 base damage. No matter what features I have selected, the damage is only linked to the Companion level and it only applies when the companion is summoned.

Peting animations and other skill animations will stay the same for each individual skill. I don't see a breaking point there since you can play whatever animation for whatever effect. You'll have to update some tooltips though from specific to general.

Since leveling is streamlined you ll have to adjust the requested exp for leveling and damage provided, convert the exp player's have already invested in their pets. For example if I have 300 pets in my collection and the total amount of exp invested in them is equal to 3.000.000 exp, this amount will be trasfered to the new system, and my Companion level will be 40 out of 86 and my damage companion damage will be 2000 out of 4400.

If in my collection I'll have 300 out of 450 pets, my bolster will be 66% / 4 = 16.5% bonus damage to my base companion damage.

This rule I have applied is just a suggestion on how I see it working reasonably. This will keep the system sustainable by making the boolster to never pass the 25% bonus damage for the companion. As the new companions will be released, boolster will slightly decrease and make players to get the new released pets.

This way you'll give a huge qol feature to the players, will help your business and make everything more engaging.

The skin preview tab will stay the same as in collection right now and as for the other 3 features you ll have 3 separate lists to choose from. There will also be a search bar to look for specific features conditioned by the active feature tab (if I have my passive ability tab active the search bar will only give results from that tab)