Thread: Guild Wars 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

If you run it in the lowest setting, according to that article...it should give you 37 FPS give or take...For me, 25-30 FPS is playable although you will not enjoy full potential of the graphics. You can probably still play through the open world, dungeon, and structured PvP which is probably more than half of what GW2 has to offer. What you cannot enjoy and most likely will become unplayable to you, with that level of FPS, is World vs. World PVP. This World vs. World PVP is basically an all out war between servers (500 v 500 v 500) people more or less, this occurs in a separate realm from PvE content as if it's a totally new game within the game (although your stats and gears from PvE carry over to World vs World).

So in summary, I still think you can play most part of the game maybe around 70-80% (if you're not really particular with graphics not being optimal) except for World vs World. Decisions decisions

PS: Yup, it's better to assemble a desktop than to upgrade a laptop, you'll need roughly $500 to build a good gaming desktop versus $1000+ for a gaming laptop. You can still buy GW2, but given those limitations.
    Last edited by zeusabe; 11-21-2012 at 06:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zeusabe View Post
    If you run it in the lowest setting, according to that article...it should give you 37 FPS give or take...For me, 25-30 FPS is playable although you will not enjoy full potential of the graphics. You can probably still play through the open world, dungeon, and structured PvP which is probably more than half of what GW2 has to offer. What you cannot enjoy and most likely will become unplayable to you, with that level of FPS, is World vs. World PVP. This World vs. World PVP is basically an all out war between servers (500 v 500 v 500) people more or less, this occurs in a separate realm from PvE content as if it's a totally new game within the game (although your stats and gears from PvE carry over to World vs World).

So in summary, I still think you can play most part of the game maybe around 70-80% (if you're not really particular with graphics not being optimal) except for World vs World. Decisions decisions

PS: Yup, it's better to assemble a desktop than to upgrade a laptop, you'll need roughly $500 to build a good gaming desktop versus $1000+ for a gaming laptop. You can still buy GW2, but given those limitations.
    Thank you!
    Do you recommend me buying it? I will probably not play much maybe 2 hours a week? Or maybe 4 hours.
    Last question! Will GW2 reduce the life of my laptop?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thelastblink View Post
    Thank you!
    Do you recommend me buying it? I will probably not play much maybe 2 hours a week? Or maybe 4 hours.
    Last question! Will GW2 reduce the life of my laptop?
    I would definitely recommend you to buy it. I think even with those limitations, the game is still very attractive. Nope, it will not reduce your laptop's life any more than your usual wear and tear from any application, unless there's overheating that will damage the hardware, which sounds unlikely considering you're only planning to play very hours

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I would definitely recommend you to buy it. I think even with those limitations, the game is still very attractive. Nope, it will not reduce your laptop's life any more than your usual wear and tear from any application, unless there's overheating that will damage the hardware, which sounds unlikely considering you're only planning to play very hours
    WOOOHOO! YAY! Thanks for the information EVERYONE!
    Also, on the site there was deluxe, collectors etc. editions OO which one do I get?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Here's an example of how things can get pretty stressing for your Video Card and CPU in World vs. World PvP. Provided some photos, just randomly took this, no events, not even organized, just some random people congregating at one spot:

We're about 15 players in this screen, very little stress, at this rate...I'm getting around 45 FPS from my computer, smooth:
    Name:  zerg1.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  106.7 KB

I'm with around 20-25 players in this screen, moderate stress, I'm doing 38-40 FPS at this point...still smooth
    Name:  zerg2.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  105.0 KB

Here, there's also around 20-25 players in my screen, but there are several huge mobs at the top of the staircase, they can't be seen because of the angle of my view, I'm doing 35 FPS. Still smooth.
    Name:  zerg3.jpg
Size:  110.0 KB

Here, I'm involved in a skirmish between my server and another server somewhere in the battlefield (there are many like this going on simultaneously). This is easily 50+ players in one screen...some players cannot be seen in this angle because they're being covered by the terrain (kiting range), at this point, my FPS is around 30. Smooth with minor video stuttering.
    Name:  zerg4.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  119.7 KB

If I'm in towns or dungeons with minimal traffic of mobs and players, my FPS is doing 60+.

Based on the benchmark that the article provided, If you're starting FPS will be 37 FPS in towns and dungeons...then that could easily go down very fast in World vs. World, just as how I showed you...BUT, that's only in World vs. World PVP...the rest of the game, you'll most likely maintain an above 30 FPS provided you're in the lowest setting of graphics World vs. World PVP is a separate realm, so you can avoid going there if you're having problems with FPS. Stick with PvE, dungeons, and structured PvP and avoid World PvP for now.

PS: I'm on HIGH setting, I can easily increase those FPS if I set it on LOW...I'm not using top of the line components, just average parts. But it's desktop, so it's cheaper You can achieve this in your gaming laptop, but you'll have to invest almost twice as I did.
    Last edited by zeusabe; 11-22-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Here's an example of how things can get pretty stressing for your Video Card and CPU in World vs. World PvP. Provided some photos, just randomly took this, no events, not even organized, just some random people congregating at one spot:

We're about 15 players in this screen, very little stress, at this rate...I'm getting around 45 FPS from my computer, smooth:
    Name:  zerg1.jpg
Size:  106.7 KB

I'm with around 20-25 players in this screen, moderate stress, I'm doing 38-40 FPS at this point...still smooth
    Name:  zerg2.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  105.0 KB

Here, there's also around 20-25 players in my screen, but there are several huge mobs at the top of the staircase, they can't be seen because of the angle of my view, I'm doing 35 FPS. Still smooth.
    Name:  zerg3.jpg
Size:  110.0 KB

Here, I'm involved in a skirmish between my server and another server somewhere in the battlefield (there are many like this going on simultaneously). This is easily 50+ players in one screen...some players cannot be seen in this angle because they're being covered by the terrain (kiting range), at this point, my FPS is around 30. Smooth with minor video stuttering.
    Name:  zerg4.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  119.7 KB

If I'm in towns or dungeons with minimal traffic of mobs and players, my FPS is doing 60+.

Based on the benchmark that the article provided, If you're starting FPS will be 37 FPS in towns and dungeons...then that could easily go down very fast in World vs. World, just as how I showed you...BUT, that's only in World vs. World PVP...the rest of the game, you'll most likely maintain an above 30 FPS provided you're in the lowest setting of graphics World vs. World PVP is a separate realm, so you can avoid going there if you're having problems with FPS. Stick with PvE, dungeons, and structured PvP and avoid World PvP for now.

PS: I'm on HIGH setting, I can easily increase those FPS if I set it on LOW...I'm not using top of the line components, just average parts. But it's desktop, so it's cheaper You can achieve this in your gaming laptop, but you'll have to invest almost twice as I did.
    So you mean that I can play all of the game except World vs World smoothly with minor stuttering if I place it on all low settings?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

So you mean that I can play all of the game except World vs World smoothly with minor stuttering if I place it on all low settings?
    Yup, that's a huge possibility. Though I can't say 100% because I'm not sure about the accuracy of the article who conducted the benchmarks on laptop GPU performance in GW2 But, if you ask me, it's worth a shot, worse comes to worst...well, you can always save up for an upgrade in the future These kind of games last for years (Guildwars 1 is 7 years old and still running)...so it's not going anywhere, it's just roughly 3 months old.
    Last edited by zeusabe; 11-22-2012 at 02:02 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zeusabe For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Yup, that's a huge possibility. Though I can't say 100% because I'm not sure about the accuracy of the article who conducted the benchmarks on laptop GPU performance in GW2 But, if you ask me, it's worth a shot, worse comes to worst...well, you can always save up for an upgrade in the future These kind of games last for years (Guildwars 1 is 7 years old and still running)...so it's not going anywhere, it's just roughly 3 months old.
    Is the GPU the only thing that affects FPS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Is the GPU the only thing that affects FPS?
    GPU and CPU. You have a good CPU already...GPU not so
    Last edited by vampinoy; 11-22-2012 at 08:03 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to vampinoy For This Useful Post: