Thread: Weird damage on staff- intentional or bug?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Weird damage on staff- intentional or bug?

So, the staff I'm currently using on my level 16 sorcerer (ign Professor) is the Shadowwar of Brutality. The damage listed on it is 49.2. When using my regular attack, it almost always does exactly the same amount of damage, typically around 50, even when I completely charge up the attack. The total damage listed in my stat window is 102, and I typically do 120-140 damage with fireball and such, but with my regular attack I only do around 50 damage.

This is where it gets odd. If I were to equip a different staff, say the Shockcaller of Brutality (legendary bundle), I would do at least 100 damage on a charged regular attack, but with respectively similar amounts with skills, even though the Shadowwar supposedly has 13 more damage than the Shockcaller.

So my staff with less damage listed does about twice as much with a regular charged attack than my staff with higher damage listed. This was observed of course when both of these weapons didn't have any procs activated. Is there a reason for this, or is it a bug? I kept switching between the two staves under the same circumstances (same number of people in map, same enemy type, etc.), and the one with less damage listed always did around twice as much damage on a regular attack. Even on the lowest level enemy I could find, the Shadowwar never got up to hitting over 80-90 damage, uncharged OR charged, when in the stat window it shows 102. Yet the staff that lowers the stat window damage to 89 always deals out over 100. Is there some special property of one of these staves that makes it do way more/less damage? (again, I took procs into account)

Please give me a break if this is just another case of noob-has-no-idea-how-damage-calculation-works-itis.

Thanks
    Last edited by lightcuber; 11-30-2012 at 05:10 PM.