Thread: What's my next move?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Default What's my next move?

Ok, so I started playing AL a few hours ago. I made a mage, and reached level 8, did a bunch of the quests. Now I've reached a point where I got no gold, no health pots, and both my pets need to be fed. What do I do next?

Seems that in order for me to survive, I leak gold, i.e. I don't get enough gold to replenish what I spend. When I reached level 7 I still had a tiny bit of gold left and had around 150 kills and only 6 deaths. Now I'm level 8 and I have about 170 kills and 25 deaths, and whenever I try to fight more I die most of the time due to not having any health pots left. Not really sure where to go from here.

Have they made AL where you have to buy plat in order to make it past the first few levels? I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. In PL I'm a very successful player, have all the dragon sets, lvl76, etc. So all this hardship is new to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

It's a new game ya gotta learn it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Should of picked a warrior and you don't need to have a pet to play.

<(^.^<) <(^.^)> (>^.^)>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Piosidon View Post
    Should of picked a warrior and you don't need to have a pet to play.
    I'm a warrior/bear in PL so I wanted to try something different here. As far as the pet, I figured that part out and disabled the pet, but as I said now I keep dying. My K/D ratio since I reached level 7 has been around 1-to-1. I also can't seem to find any parties to run with. Maybe Saturday is just a bad day to be playing, I'm not sure. But all the dungeons seem empty so I end up trying to kill the mobs solo. I think I need a new strategy.

What's funny is that I see these people in PL and now in AL who have really good K/D ratios. In PL mine was never so great, but got better over time when I reached higher levels, and is now around 32-to-1. I figured I would make sure to do better in AL, but so far I'm off to a pretty awful start, so it's kind of discouraging. I do like the game, but I think I just need some players to run with that will round out my party better.

Also don't know if my stats are proper. I've tried to be a full-INT mage, but maybe that's not a good idea, IDK. I figured I wouldn't mind low health if I got really good mana and was able to heal very good. But of course at this early level healing is not that good. Maybe I need to max out that skill first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Nah, u can't go "pure" in this game. The general consensus seems to be around 3-1-1 or 5-1-1. You will need to add some str to help u survive in AL.

I went with the rogue, & it is possibly more fragile than archers are in pl. But you are a good player and I think you will come out of this just fine :-)

You might want to check the sorcerer posts for some skill & build advice too since I've just skimmed over those.
    Last edited by Shellkaz; 12-02-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    IGN - LyrrLynn. Guild Master of Xplicit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    259 Posts

If you dont like to buy plat i would suggest to put your mage into haitus and make a warrior... Get rich and come back with mage.

warrior doesnt need potions if you have Vengefull and Horn of renew.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

A few tips:

1. Use more strength til you hit 15. Then, you will be powerful enough to use more INT.

2. Stay in the low levels. This will allow you to adapt to the game and use less pots.

3. Find groups. You won't last in the beginning without them. I never have a hard time joining a game without people already there (or soon follow.)

4. Be patient. The economy is far from PL. Drop liquidation is a little on the ridiculous side. Once you get use to hoarding, you will do better.

5. Stay away from cs. Prices are also ridiculous and are controlled by plat spenders who have bought a ton of gold with plat. Drops are common and useful, so refer back to point 4.

Good luck.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

And if you are in a good guild, see if anyone has gear that they can share/give to you. We do it all the time in Xplicit with purples since they drop fairly frequently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

heya, no you totally don't need plat to get ahead. My rogue got to L15 without spending any plat and i didn't spend plat on my mage until like L13.

The party you're with makes a much larger difference in terms of how they handle the boss fights.

I think there's a bit of a difficulty spike for the boss fights on the third and fourth maps. After that it's ok as you figure out the game and what skills work for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Thanks guys, I'm going to give it another try later on. I'm thinking I may just get a small amount of plat to buy some gold and then use that gold just for survival like feeding pets, health potions, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

I would do that and try to pick up another pet or two as well. You can use one till it gets low on energy, stable it and use another one, They regain energy in the stable. It saves on feeding costs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

Don't feed your pets. Swap them out, using the stable. If you have a hungry one in the stable, play with it and the one you are using periodically. This will keep them happy longer and keep your pet feed costs way down.

Star light, star bright...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fyrce For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I got my Sorceror to lvl 15 before I spent any platinum. Even then, I didn't feel like I had to. My advice is:

--Don't feed your pets unless you have tons of money to spare. Potions are more important.
    --If dungeons are "empty" like you say, then something is probably wrong. Make sure you aren't accidentally stuck in someone's party from a previous map. (Check the social menu.) Also, when you start a new map, hang around the entrance for a minute so other people can join.
    --Definitely invest some points in strength to raise your health. I personally keep my max mana and health roughly equal. (Sidenote: even with this much health, some enemies on elite maps can still kill me in one hit.)
    --Get the daily treasure chest for occasional free potions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrce View Post
    Don't feed your pets. Swap them out, using the stable. If you have a hungry one in the stable, play with it and the one you are using periodically. This will keep them happy longer and keep your pet feed costs way down.
    Thanks, I tried this and it works great. I also realized you can "play" with them while they are in the stable which helps them get happy again quicker as well. This saves a ton of gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviljack View Post
    --If dungeons are "empty" like you say, then something is probably wrong. Make sure you aren't accidentally stuck in someone's party from a previous map. (Check the social menu.)
    Thank you!! This was my problem. I was part of a party and I guess they had moved on, and nobody was joining my games.

So after figuring these 2 items out, I played for another few hours and I'm now up to lvl11 and my K/D ratio is much better now. I even saved up about 3k gold which was enough for me to buy my first 2 pinks in the CS. I got a lvl10 staff/wand (I forgot the name but it has blue lightning sparkling around it) and a lvl11 pink ring.

As for the STR suggestion, I decided to try to make up the STR from gear instead of specs, so that way later on I can always be full INT when I get more powerful. So far this has worked nicely.

I did make one huge mistake, which was that I got a gold chest dropped to me from one of the bosses. I know I should have sold it (they were going for 3k in the CS) but instead I had to be curious and opened it up, and of course there was no pinks in there, just a few items that weren't even worth listing in CS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

If you're concerned about making and saving gold, I wouldn't bother buying pinks right now, especially if you aren't at level 15 or 16. The reason being that it will only be useful to you for a very brief period of time. At level 11, you're much better off with 3k than two pinks. It's like buying designer clothes for an 8 year old, who's going to grow out of them almost immediately. That's a way bigger mistake than opening a gold chest. You're supposed to open chests. How could you possibly resist?
    PL: Seucheky
    SL: McBain
    DL: ArethaFanglin
    AL: McBain, Seucheky

17. The Following User Says Thank You to McBain For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric:878359
    Thanks, I tried this and it works great. I also realized you can "play" with them while they are in the stable which helps them get happy again quicker as well. This saves a ton of gold.

--If dungeons are "empty" like you say, then something is probably wrong. Make sure you aren't accidentally stuck in someone's party from a previous map. (Check the social menu.)
    Thank you!! This was my problem. I was part of a party and I guess they had moved on, and nobody was joining my games.

So after figuring these 2 items out, I played for another few hours and I'm now up to lvl11 and my K/D ratio is much better now. I even saved up about 3k gold which was enough for me to buy my first 2 pinks in the CS. I got a lvl10 staff/wand (I forgot the name but it has blue lightning sparkling around it) and a lvl11 pink ring.

As for the STR suggestion, I decided to try to make up the STR from gear instead of specs, so that way later on I can always be full INT when I get more powerful. So far this has worked nicely.

I did make one huge mistake, which was that I got a gold chest dropped to me from one of the bosses. I know I should have sold it (they were going for 3k in the CS) but instead I had to be curious and opened it up, and of course there was no pinks in there, just a few items that weren't even worth listing in CS.
    need help? Hit me up, ill gve ya 10k and a guru jumper pink (if it hasnt sold lol) to get u started. My tip is once u gt to L15 cap asap cuz theyre giving a vanity for people who cap, also L15 farm elite village, ill help clear the first two!

Ign is Miracles
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheMiraclebird:878462
    Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric:878359

need help? Hit me up, ill gve ya 10k and a guru jumper pink (if it hasnt sold lol) to get u started. My tip is once u gt to L15 cap asap cuz theyre giving a vanity for people who cap, also L15 farm elite village, ill help clear the first two!

Ign is Miracles
    Vanities to people who hit 16, not 15.
    Ign - Who -- My guess is 1837.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike1298:878468
    Vanities to people who hit 16, not 15.
    You didnt read my sentence carefully, i wrote when u reach L15 cap asap (meaning lvl up to 16 asap) and get a vanity reward.
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheMiraclebird View Post

Ign is Miracles
    Thanks for the offer, but I'll make it on my own here just fine. Already started merching a bit, but just with cheap items. I'm sure in no time I'll be doing well. I did add you to my friend's list though. So add me when you get a chance.

I haven't yet ventured past Traveler's Outpost at this point, I'm trying to level up in the earlier dungeons. From what I can see, you can continue to level even in the first dungeons all the way through lvl13 (where I'm at now). I've only only died twice today, and have a few hundred kills, so starting to play better. I guess the biggest thing I've learned is not to be afraid to run if I start losing a battle. Since I was a bear in PL, I was always used to tanking harder when you're losing, but now I just gotta run if I get overwhelmed, then regroup and come back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    If you're concerned about making and saving gold, I wouldn't bother buying pinks right now, especially if you aren't at level 15 or 16. The reason being that it will only be useful to you for a very brief period of time. At level 11, you're much better off with 3k than two pinks. It's like buying designer clothes for an 8 year old, who's going to grow out of them almost immediately. That's a way bigger mistake than opening a gold chest. You're supposed to open chests. How could you possibly resist?
    Heed this advice.
    Montanaguy (16 Warrior) [elite lvl cap: 16; 26; 31] / Montanaman (16 Mage) [16] / Montanadood (16 Rogue) [16]