Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Warrior Tanking 123 with explanations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nutstomper View Post
    What are your friends geared like? I'm maxed out and so are my friends. That build still has issues for me.
    My guildmate is using the 1.2mil sorc staff with demonlord set with all maxed out acc.
    If i can hold aggro on the boss against him, i think i should be doing fine.
    I did tried using the 1h sword & shield, still works.
    But i personally like the effect on Shadowrealm now
    OneAxeHole @ MapleSEA.
    Guild Master of Singaporeans.
    Kenoon - Lv21 Tank Warrior.
    Hiddenleaf - Lv15 Pure Dex Ranger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Is your're friend using his regular attacks and some skills? If he is skill spamming THERE'S NO BUILD THAT CAN HOLD AGGRO!! Like I mentioned way back, holding aggro depends on how well your team knows how to play! I think taunt should work in a way where we keep the enemies focus for atleast awhile no matter what the other two classes do. During this time they can spam their skills combos, and not just fight with normal attacks all the time. Which in terms will make Elite much more faster and less tedious, making us very effective again!!
    Last edited by Enisceloz; 12-25-2012 at 11:55 AM.
    PL: Enisceloz: Level 76 (Warrior/Tank/Eni Express...Choo Choo!!!!)
    AL: Enisceloz: Level 26 (Warrior/Tank/Exterminator)

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Fellas... check out my four taunt build... my level 20 mediocre geared warrior can hold aggro against 21 geared mages and rogues. It's all in the timing and understanding the taunt mechanic. The biggest trick is that once you have aggro, don't do anything other than auto attack or renew/jugg when needed to save yourself. If a boss turns, axe throw, juggernaut, and go back to auto attack. Chest Splitter is also a taunt, so use it as such.

Basically, since sts won't share the mechanics, this is my explanation of how threat works. Every damage done adds 1 to the threat meter. So if a tank comes in with 3 hits at 50 damage, then a rogue pops off a 600 point aimed shot crit, the tank is losing aggro. By taunting, the tanks threat jumps up to 601. Right after a taunt, immediately spam auto attacks to maintain the aggro you stole back.

Some have questioned whether threat can stack and thus create a benefit to spamming taunts. From playing, sometimes it seems like it might but other times it definitely doesn't. However, if you have all four taunts and focus on keeping as many of them off cooldown as possible, you'll always have them available at will. Axe throw is godly, as you can actually wait until the last second before something hits your rogue and actually change it's direction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
    Fellas... check out my four taunt build... my level 20 mediocre geared warrior can hold aggro against 21 geared mages and rogues. It's all in the timing and understanding the taunt mechanic. The biggest trick is that once you have aggro, don't do anything other than auto attack or renew/jugg when needed to save yourself. If a boss turns, axe throw, juggernaut, and go back to auto attack. Chest Splitter is also a taunt, so use it as such.

Basically, since sts won't share the mechanics, this is my explanation of how threat works. Every damage done adds 1 to the threat meter. So if a tank comes in with 3 hits at 50 damage, then a rogue pops off a 600 point aimed shot crit, the tank is losing aggro. By taunting, the tanks threat jumps up to 601. Right after a taunt, immediately spam auto attacks to maintain the aggro you stole back.

Some have questioned whether threat can stack and thus create a benefit to spamming taunts. From playing, sometimes it seems like it might but other times it definitely doesn't. However, if you have all four taunts and focus on keeping as many of them off cooldown as possible, you'll always have them available at will. Axe throw is godly, as you can actually wait until the last second before something hits your rogue and actually change it's direction.
    What's up bro is Enisceloz. But keep in mind if a Mage or Rogue skill spam you will still loose aggro lol. You have tested it already with God's Touch. However there's no reason why they should be skill spamming in the new Elite levels because they risk getting slaughtered!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Sup Kenoon!

Thanks to your guide, helped me figured out how to play a Warrior. This has helped me tremendously!

Knowing your nationality also brought a smile to me, but it has nothing with stacking up my praise for your guide.

Cheers!
    Bjourd, Bjolt & Bjkarma.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Meh... eni... then you know my build holds aggro... just not on trash or if my timing is off due to lag, intoxication, or whining wife. I'll run jarl duo with anyone, and I'll hold aggro 95% of the time...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Meh... eni... then you know my build holds aggro... just not on trash or if my timing is off due to lag, intoxication, or whining wife. I'll run jarl duo with anyone, and I'll hold aggro 95% of the time...
    Oh no question about it, but it keeps going back and forth unless the Sorcerer or Rogue stops skill spamming or runs out of mana lol.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

For sure... I'm not saying I keep aggro constantly... just that as soon as I lose it I can grab it back, and with my pure tank build I know there is always a way to grab it back on a dime. It was really a result of playing with PUGs who had the occasional rogue who just wouldn't stop spamming and ended up wiping the party that made me change it... I do still have damage gear and with 1500 plat still I can change at will... would be nice if they put in an option to purchase dual spec... so I can have my tank build and my damage build to alternate at will...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

For sure... I'm not saying I keep aggro constantly... just that as soon as I lose it I can grab it back, and with my pure tank build I know there is always a way to grab it back on a dime. It was really a result of playing with PUGs who had the occasional rogue who just wouldn't stop spamming and ended up wiping the party that made me change it... I do still have damage gear and with 1500 plat still I can change at will... would be nice if they put in an option to purchase dual spec... so I can have my tank build and my damage build to alternate at will...
    Bro the easy solution will be for STS to make Taunts more powerful. That way you would only need one skill with a Taunt and then the rest you can choose to your liking/playing style. It's frustrating sometimes when you trying to hold aggro and someone keeps spamming skills and stealing aggro then they die and blame it on you because you didn't "hold aggro". That has been the #1 complain about Warriors on these forums and is not totally our fault!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@Kenoon so basically the best way to tank for elite and normal is using ur tank build 3 which includes CS,Windmill,Vengeful blood n HoR.Plus putting 5 pts on Might right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cronaldo777 View Post
    @Kenoon so basically the best way to tank for elite and normal is using ur tank build 3 which includes CS,Windmill,Vengeful blood n HoR.Plus putting 5 pts on Might right?
    That is one way lol not the ONLY!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I said the best. I didn't say the only. Pls take note @ spidah

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cronaldo777 View Post
    I said the best. I didn't say the only. Pls take note @ spidah
    Let me re-phrase then hehe (it was sort of late here). It is ONE of the best, but there are others (like mine lol).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do what's the best Spidah?whats your build of pure tank?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I wrote it somewhere in this thread look it up.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

I still think for a pure tank standpoint, my (ugg) build is hard to beat. It's only when you have the desire to do things other than tank that there is a reason to vary from it.

It definitely fits the description for a pure tank build and I've had some positive feedback come in from others who try it out...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I still think for a pure tank standpoint, my (ugg) build is hard to beat. It's only when you have the desire to do things other than tank that there is a reason to vary from it.

It definitely fits the description for a pure tank build and I've had some positive feedback come in from others who try it out...
    Your guide is about Elite boss tanking.
    It is good because whenever you lose aggro, the only way to pull the elite boss back immeditately is to execute an active Taunt skill which ignores any player's accumulated threat aggro.

The build is very team dependent and doesn't rely on threat accumulation.
    When comes to leveling, it is a liability to the team since you contribute low damage output.
    If we were to play Jarl killing, yes you can hold the aggro most of the time because you have an addtional active taunt skill, but it will take donkey years for you to solo Jarl.

The builds i mentioned in this thread, is generally more for teamplay tanking.
    A similar Elite boss tanking build as explained in your thread that Chest Splitter, Axe Throw, HoR, Vengeful Blood skill rotation is sufficient.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...l=1#post910386

If this build versus with your jugg build, yes, under skill rotation wise, it will lose out to you every 45seconds.
    How many rounds of 45secs for this taunt skill (juggernaut) becomes available to use?
    Axe Throw and HoR skill rotation with Chest Splitter have sufficient short cooldowns to cycle the skill rotations to keep the boss busy with active taunt consistently.

Another way is to give up Chest Splitter and learn Skyward Smash with stun and Axe throw with stun.
    The skill rotations should be more effective since the boss can't move during a stun and that will buy time for him to use taunt skill to pull boss back again.

But certain rate of chance to stun versus consistent taunt skill rotation with Chest Splitter, i will choose Chest Splitter.
    When CS is executed during a boss wind-up, the aggro isn't that powerful as an active Taunt skill, but the boss will show an exclamation mark above his head indicating that he has taken notice of you.

Under Jarl runs, you would always see Jarl showing multiple times of ! Mark whenever there are 2 or more warriors around. This is because they learnt Chest Splitter and if the warriors doesn't stand on same direction position against the other classes, that is where we be seeing Jarl keep switching directions.

Under Tower boss, Chest Splitter helps me to draw his attention pretty consistently.
    I would normally request an additional warrior friend with build 3 (dps tanking) to play the run and stand on same position with me against our rogue/mage.

Our skill rotations of HOR helps both of us to have full life, relaxing & stress-free tanking since we have more than enough Taunt to draw the boss attention.

I have not tried to use Axe Throw yet to see whether it will cancel the aoe windup animation of the tower boss yet.
    If it does, as mentioned, CS, AT, VB, HOR is sufficient enough
    Last edited by Kenoon; 01-01-2013 at 03:40 AM.
    OneAxeHole @ MapleSEA.
    Guild Master of Singaporeans.
    Kenoon - Lv21 Tank Warrior.
    Hiddenleaf - Lv15 Pure Dex Ranger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@ Kenoon what's aggro? So what do U think is the best build for pure tank?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Axe Throw is not interrupting anything. Using it in my rotation together with Windmill, Jugg and HoR.
    AL IGN: Zerbrechlich (Rogue); Arsies (Warrior); Wayfearer (Blue Blop)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Arsies For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spidah View Post
    I have a friend with all taunting skills set up and he can't keep aggro from another friend who's a Sorcerer that has around 190 Dmg, causing a boss to switch his focus back and forth. Either this is intentional or like you said taunt needs to be buffed. And as for the Elite levels I think they are fine. I do tons of runs (I have all Elite achievements got them first day patch came out) and I don't die much if at all and I can keep aggro however I do use a considerable amount of pots to keep my health up, compared to what I used on the old Elite levels (once again team mechanics play an important role here). But this maybe could be because I have yet to acquire the new set pieces (and that's another mess that needs to be fixed lol).
    I know I'm a bit late replying to this post (dated before xmas), but I'm interested in the 190dmg bit. Did you mean 190dps instead? If not, mind sharing how that can be achieved? Coz I play a mage too hehe. Thanks in advance

On another note, as a warrior myself I would like to thank everyone who have kindly shared their builds here with the community. It's a great help to everyone!