Thread: DPS Vs. DMG!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Default DPS Vs. DMG!!!

Ok so I have seen a lot of people asking dmg or dps which should I choose. So I am here to help you guys figure out what you would want to use dps/dmg and why you would want to use it. Ok to start off I will explain the basics dmg is mainly for skill dmg. Like how much a skill/skills dmg will do. For example say Skyward Smash... if you had more dmg it would do lots more dmg than if you had more dps. For dps you will have low skill dmg but a very high auto dmg. For example if I am a rogue and I have all dex I will have tons of dps rather than dmg(which is normal for a rogue). Now if I had a str/dex build I would have lower dps and a higher dmg. Now I will explain which is better for each class(this is my opinion).

Warrior
    I would have to say more dmg is better than more dps because you will not use auto that much I have noticed as a warrior, you will be using all your skills and tanking(hopefully). I have never seen a warrior have a higher dps that is higher than a rogue's dps, if it is either your doing something wrong or they just suck lol.

Rogue
    For a rogue you will want mainly dps, if you are a all dex rogue you usually will need a good str pet and the best gear to keep you from not being so squishy. If you are half str half dex than you will have enough health but not as much dps as other rogues that are all dex. If you go all str than you might as well turn into a warrior, no point in being a rogue if your going to use it as a warrior.

Sorcerer
    I think(think , key word) that a sorcerer should have half dps and half dmg. I think this because mages need to do a lot of skill dmg but also need a good dps to solo stuff like that. I don't know much about a sorcerer but I do know if you are an aoe(area of affect) sorcerer I think you would need more dmg than dps, because you probably will not use auto that much.

I hope this helped a little and Btw this is not a guide just to help some people. If I missed anything or if you think I am wrong plz don't rage on me or flame as I will notify one of the devs and have it closed. Thanks for reading. Bye
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23165&d=1358582883
    Legends Don't Die They Just Fade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

You keep mentioning "auto"? Last I checked AL has no auto attack mode like PL does. What exactly are you referring to?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Autoattacks typically refer to the 'white hits' or most baseline melee/ranged attacks that every character has in every game.

Although technically, there is no auto-swing in AL, the name still sticks and is understood to be the character's basic attack.
    Looking for dedicated leaderboard players with a sense of perfectionism and patience. PM me on the forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

they renamed dmg into dps
    There isn't any weapon that fires faster then another. dps = dmg?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I believe damage to be king. More damage-> more skill damage-> my aimed critics do 1k-> boss dies FAST-> more runs-> more Drops-> better chance at egg/elite chest-> more pinks/eggs-> I GET MONAYS!!
    PL (DEADBITE L.75 bird UGOTSNIPEDDD L.66 bird NIFECALEDLUST L.55)
    AL (DEADBITE L.16 warrior TENDENCIES L.16 rogue SWANSONGS L.16 mage)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Lol really guys auto is where u just keep clicking the sword/weapon at the bottom of your screen. And no dmg is not dps totally dif things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tearacan:902651
    There are weapons that are faster or slower than others.
    Ign - Who -- My guess is 1837.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    183 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tearacan View Post
    So,that`s the same thing?
    There aren`t any weapons which fire faster?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Shonex For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shone :) View Post
    So,that`s the same thing?
    There aren`t any weapons which fire faster?
    No their are just like in pl I do know like rogue weapons hit faster than a warriors sword.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

Ah the classic debate of base damage vs dps I think an important point for those new
    to STS games...

From a mages perspective:

The weapon and build you use should be based on your application. I prefer to be an aoe
    nuke mage and leave the boss killing to the rogues, letting each class utilize its strength.
    For this I prefer to use a weapon that has a high skill damage, as it is your aoe skills that are
    killing the mobs (fireball, time shift, gale). One would be suprised to find that the skill damage
    on the flamestrike rods is actually lower than many cheaper weapons. Next time your equip
    your weapons check your skill page and look at the damage of the skills to see how they change.
    For a point of comparison, my expensive lvl16 clever flamestrike rod of assault has 70 more dps
    yet 10 less skill damage (fireball) than a cheap lvl20 blizzard of brutality. The flamestrike has a
    much faster attack rate (feels almost twice as fast) which is giving the boost to the dps, looking
    nice on your stat page, but pretty much useless when clearing mobs with skills. Building a boss
    killing build is a different situation, and I will not get into that....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to drgrimmy For This Useful Post: