Thread: Threat output and tanking capability on 1h warrior weapon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Lightbulb Threat output and tanking capability on 1h warrior weapon.

STS should improve on the threat output for sword & shield users if they were to be holding this type of gear.

If gearing up as sword & shield but still having the same threat output as 2h weapon, that would defeat the purpose of holding such weapon. I don't mind holding a weaker damage weapon but with higher threat output to maintain my role as a tank. But if a 2h warrior is able to tank and holding aggro stronger than 1h warrior, what is the purpose on making this weapon for warriors to use?

So what if we have higher armor by using 1h weapon when we don't have 2h sword Shadowrealm's 50% damage reduction proc effect?

The proc on Ice Armor on Sword & Shield isn't that amazing neither. The effect doesn't seem to be significant enough to allow my warrior to tank elite map mobs. I hope STS should look into this and improve up on next upcoming fix.
    Last edited by Kenoon; 01-04-2013 at 05:19 AM.
    OneAxeHole @ MapleSEA.
    Guild Master of Singaporeans.
    Kenoon - Lv21 Tank Warrior.
    Hiddenleaf - Lv15 Pure Dex Ranger

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenoon For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

+1 i see warriors with 1k+ armor still dying at elite tower piggies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Another factor STS should look into would be the Threat or Aggro for Warriors.
    As of now, Damage of Rogues and Mages are so powerful and high that causes Warriors to lose their aggro on bosses even casting multiple Taunt skills to pull the boss attention back.
    The boss immediately turns back to the Rogues or Mages after i casted Taunt skill.

I would suggest STS instead to enable Taunt skills with 2~3 seconds taunt effect that will hold the Boss or Creep's aggro,
    so in this way for Warrior Class tanking, there will no such issue of other classes pulling aggro away due to overpowered damage from happening again.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Kenoon; 01-04-2013 at 05:25 AM.
    OneAxeHole @ MapleSEA.
    Guild Master of Singaporeans.
    Kenoon - Lv21 Tank Warrior.
    Hiddenleaf - Lv15 Pure Dex Ranger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Built in threat bonuses per hit would be awesome for sword & shield sets. Yes please!

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

2-3 second taunts would be OP, but a guaranteed would solve the aggro problem and skill require tanks to have skill.

In fairness, allowing one handed weapons to generate maybe 3x their damage in aggro would allow for more efficient tanking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

I don't know how the aggro system works behind the scenes with AL. It seems as though damage generates threat, and the equation is the same for all classes. Warriors deal the least amount of damage of all the classes, so therefore generate the least amount of threat. I'm claiming his is exactly right, I'm only saying that this is what it seems like.

So warriors have four skills that have taunt mechanics. Are the taunt mechanics the same for each of these kills? And are they actual taunts, or just high threat moves?

I think the optimal performance of each of these skills should play out like this:

Horn of Renew: the taunt should guarantee all affected mobs to focus on the warrior for 1-2 seconds.

Juggernaut: the first taunt should guarantee all mobs attack the warrior for 1 second, as well as apply a heavy amount of threat to all affected mobs. Each subsequent taunt should simply apply a heavy amount of threat.

Chest Splitter: rather than this being a taunt, it should simply be a high threat generator.

Axe Throw: like Chest Splitter, this should be a high threat generator, but it should generate a lot more threat. This is the skill that will basically be the bread and butter for tanking bosses. Using it at the beginning of the fight should guarantee the warrior to have the highest aggro for at least a few seconds. Using it each time it comes off cooldown will be the key to keeping up with rogues and mages in threat. Perhaps even put in a hidden debuff the halts all threat generation on the target for a couple of seconds, that way if the warrior is neck and neck with a rogue in aggro, landing an axe will give him a chance to get ahead.

Anyways, just some thought to chew on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

In the event STS decide not to tweak the current taunt mechanics, I hope they will at least reveal how taunt mechanics work in AL. Some questions need to be answered by a developer:
    1) Are all the taunt skills equal in threat output/agro generation? Meaning no one taunt skill is more 'powerful' than others. Specifically do chest splitter, axe throw, juggernaut and horn of renew all work in the same way? E.g. all four taunt for the same fixed amount of time, etc.
    2) How does taunt really work in AL? Do taunt skills add a fixed x amount of threat output OR last for a fixed amount of time (however short it may be) that ignores past threat accumulation but guarantees warrior the attention of target OR do taunts work in some other way?
    3) Confirm if taunts do indeed fail to work at times, and if so, WHY do they fail? I have observed on many occasions, when I am the sole warrior in group, when my taunts fail to work. E.g. Is it due to latency, ingame mechanic like dodge rating of target vs hit rating of warrior, etc. Given the current state of game, is it a fair conclusion then that taunts are not 100% reliable?

Answers to such questions would be of immeasurable value in dispeling some preconceived assumptions the warrior community has concerning the way taunt mechanics work, and the utility of various builds. Thanks in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I want to bump this thread as well because the warrior's taunts really need to be considered and adjusted. Even with all 4 taunts, the warrior loses aggro consistently. I don't mind playing crippled with no DPS but at least allow warriors to keep aggro with the 4 taunt build.