Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ugg's Pure Elite Tank Build

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Couldn't have said it better myself. I personally don't use charged attacks because I want constant hits in after a taunt and sword with shield is actually decently quick.

And while both wizard and I suggest not using skills when you have aggro, use common sense. If all your taunts are available and you have aggro, go ahead and pop off an axe throw to reduce armor and up total party dps.

If you need to shield everyone from an aeo wind up, use renew. However, if you have aggro, don't bother using skills to put out weak damage because if someone pulls a few lucky crits and you have no taunts, your dps likely die.

Taunt definitely gives you aggro, but unlike wow it doesn't guarantee it for a period of time. If STS would make taunt last 1 second each time, warriors would be perfect from a tanking standpoint.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
    Keen... How exactly does an AOE taunt have any use in PVP? If anything, juggernaut would be the first thing eliminated from my pvp build.

The 20% damage reduction is nice, but if you've played pvp in any sts games that isn't that huge of a deal considering how everything is so burst focused. Same deal with the 50% chance to heal below 25%. An aimed shot crit would likely kill you in one shot and not give it a chance to proc.

The whole value in a pve setting is that pve damage is extremely predictable. The only burst damage is a painfully obvious wind up attack.

In pvp, the shield from renew would be much better since it negates ALL damage. Time it to avoid the initial burst, and you may have a shot. In pvp, control and stuns are far more useful than an aoe taunt tank skill!

HOR shields 2 sec, health regen buys time for you to run away if you're playing capturing of flag.
    For quick boost of survival, Juggernaut removes the abnormal status immediately and reduces damage you receive.
    Gives you health recovery and chance of self heal if the condition is triggered.
    This skill is able to buy some time for acute escape while your team mates trying to stop your enemies from taking you down while you are running away with their flag.

Under PVP, of course i won't be blind to place a point on taunting effect in this case, isn't it?
    OneAxeHole @ MapleSEA.
    Guild Master of Singaporeans.
    Kenoon - Lv21 Tank Warrior.
    Hiddenleaf - Lv15 Pure Dex Ranger

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

20% isn't going to cut it, nor is the chance of a heal, when a mage and a rogue rush you. That's when you need a stun or a way to kill them. For pvp, a damage warrior with a great horn of renew heal will be more effective than juggernaut.

Maybe when pvp comes out someone will prove me wrong, but for right now I believe juggernaut is a great pve tank tool and nothing more. For pvp I want vengeful, renew, axe throw and whirlwind (for the snare mostly).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I would say depends on the warrior's objective and role.
    If the warrior is playing as a runner, he would be using Shiloh for movement speed & damage reduction, Durable & Might Passive.
    Skills he would use will most likely be Skyward smash for escaping hopping, HoR for survival, Windmill to root opponents during escape OR Vengeful blood for boost in health (most likely to use windmill), and Juggernaut for escaping since this is Warrior's only skill that removes abnormal status.

Moreover we have not seen the future potential of Sword & Shield proc effect.
    At the moment what we have is only ice armor.

Damage we seen so far from PVE are amazing.
    Under normal standard MMORPG PVP, players damage would normally be reduced down by certain percentage.

If this rule does comes into play under AL, many players would be disgusted by Warrior's tankiness and the lame runner build.
    It would just piss people off lol..
    Last edited by Kenoon; 12-28-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    OneAxeHole @ MapleSEA.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

If sts allows pets in pvp, it would be the biggest epic fail of all time. Also, hopping away with ss likely won't work since it tends to hop towards enemies if they are in range, not away. Sure if you use it to put distance when they are already out of range, then that works.

As far as a tank build for pure flag running, that could work. However, the build wouldn't be of much use in actually fighting other players. I'd personally rather go for a build that can kill the opponent then run with the flag.

Honestly, I think strength mages are going to be the godly flag runners with specific builds. So many stuns and roots. I'm thinking shield, gale, fireball, ice will be nasty. Heal would be nice, but it's pathetic with a pure strength build.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

What to do. The achievement goes by number of flags captured & players killed.
    OneAxeHole @ MapleSEA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Currently testing your build with one change: max Axe to add 15% damage to hole group and cut heal from Jugg instead, which could be compensate with Pots.

Am running with 1030 Armor and around 100dps.

Works fine and rogues are happy so far
    AL IGN: Zerbrechlich (Rogue); Arsies (Warrior); Wayfearer (Blue Blop)

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

The 15% axe throw addition should only boost the damage of axe throw, otherwise that would be a definite inclusion. I personally like the heal from jugg as it lets me float a lower percentage of health for a longer period of time, but glad it's working for you. I think the biggest thing is having those four taunts and adjusting play style to actually function like a traditional tank instead of trying to be a hybrid dps tank. It takes getting used to, but the end result is that you will hold aggro better than any other build simply because you have more chances to taunt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'm a rogue and I can from experience that this build is awesome. I've been on elites with Ugg before and he's in my all-time top 3 tanks. There's no point going for DPS as a Warrior, because that'll never come close to what Rogues and Mages can do, so you're better off tanking so the DPS doesnt have to waste time repositioning.

One thing that's underestimated and underappreciated is the timing of when to use each skill. I can say it's alot harder to be a good tank than it is to be a good DPS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thank you very much for sharing this build, I just started trying this build and so far I have to say I am quite impressed with it!

I have always been interested in the threat generation mechanics in this game, and you look like you enjoy paying attention to such details as well. May I ask, if you or anyone else here reading this, have experienced a similar situation to mine? That is, I notice at times that each of these four of the skills with threat modifier/or 'taunt' skill if you like, are not really '100% taunts'. This means that when used, the target may not always focus its attention on you. Since I was the only warrior in the group, so i assume the only reasons are:
    (a) My eyes are playing a trick on me and what i saw was wrong,
    (b) either all or some of these four skills add a fixed amount of threat but does not give you agro directly. Meaning to say, if after said skill is used (you get +x amt of threat when used) and your threat level is higher(however the system calculates this), you get the agro. But if a rogue has higher threat level, you will not get agro. This suggests that the good tank will need to be diligent at spamming auto-attacks (with your build) so as to continue to generate threat to keep on par with rest of party members.
    (c) either all or some of these four skills are a direct taunt - meaning once used they do not add a fixed amount of threat, but directly grants the warrior the attention of the target. However, these skills has a chance to fail. E.g. Like maybe targets has a dodge rating and so your skills may 'miss'. (i am just throwing out ideas here)Which would explain why sometimes the mobs focus on me, and sometimes they don't.
    (d) some other explanation I have not considered

If anyone else has a similar experience, pls let me know. Otherwise I suppose I am gravely mistaken in my observations.

Anyway thanks again for sharing this build.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Ugg's Pure Elite Tank Build

This build is working great for me. One question... Where did you put your last 5 skill points? I'm guessing durable or might? Thanks a lot this build rocks.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Thanks for the complement aeor... don't think I'm that great, just that I don't suck... the biggest challenge is lag and in PUGs other warriors who go for a dps build and include taunts with it. I've got a dps build I use for leveling, but I don't include any taunt abilities... wish other warriors focused on dps would do that if they plan on running with a tank... the way I see it is you can't be both.

As far as the bulk of questions after your post (sorry, don't remember your handle and haven't had my coffee yet), it's impossible to truly know without a developer chiming in. I can say for sure that Axe Throw guarantees that you'll get aggro, thus making it a true taunt. My personal belief is that all taunts work this way, it's just possible that they can be dodged or missed. It's also possible that due to native lag based on ping time, your taunt will go off but a millisecond later the rogue hits with an auto attack crit that immediately steals aggro back.

Of all the complaining people do about warriors, I think a lot of it is misplaced. My only complaint/suggestion would be to modify the taunt mechanic to account for lag and allow real strategic tanking by making all taunts guarantee aggro for a specific amount of time. I think 1 second would be the perfect amount of time.

STS has an opportunity to make AL the mobile equivalent of a real mmo if it can get the true tank mechanics down. In any real mmo, end game content will one shot anything other than a tank, which is how it should be. Teamwork and a skilled tank should be vital to beating the toughest mmo content. If STS made it possible for a tank to maintain aggro effectively in a way that compensates for lag, it would be on this path.

To use wow as an example (just due to its popularity). A tank always focuses on health, armor, dodge, and hit. Reason being damage isn't important but staying alive so everyone doesn't wipe is. Hit is important because a missed taunt can often mean a wipe.

I also really wish they would let us buy dual spec options... Can't be that hard since it exists in PL. This would allow a group that has too many warriors in it to still play. If I see another tank in a group, I can switch to mediocre damage gear and my alternate dps spec. This is also critical for pvp builds. I personally would like to see the option of having 3 specs, and I'd gladly pay 50 plat each character to buy the extra spec.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Might... durable is garbage at this point... 5 points gets you 5% armor... which at 1000 armor only gives you an extra 50 armor. Maybe at level 50 it will be worth something, but until then not a chance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalite View Post
    Thank you very much for sharing this build, I just started trying this build and so far I have to say I am quite impressed with it!

I have always been interested in the threat generation mechanics in this game, and you look like you enjoy paying attention to such details as well. May I ask, if you or anyone else here reading this, have experienced a similar situation to mine? That is, I notice at times that each of these four of the skills with threat modifier/or 'taunt' skill if you like, are not really '100% taunts'. This means that when used, the target may not always focus its attention on you. Since I was the only warrior in the group, so i assume the only reasons are:
    (a) My eyes are playing a trick on me and what i saw was wrong,
    (b) either all or some of these four skills add a fixed amount of threat but does not give you agro directly. Meaning to say, if after said skill is used (you get +x amt of threat when used) and your threat level is higher(however the system calculates this), you get the agro. But if a rogue has higher threat level, you will not get agro. This suggests that the good tank will need to be diligent at spamming auto-attacks (with your build) so as to continue to generate threat to keep on par with rest of party members.
    (c) either all or some of these four skills are a direct taunt - meaning once used they do not add a fixed amount of threat, but directly grants the warrior the attention of the target. However, these skills has a chance to fail. E.g. Like maybe targets has a dodge rating and so your skills may 'miss'. (i am just throwing out ideas here)Which would explain why sometimes the mobs focus on me, and sometimes they don't.
    (d) some other explanation I have not considered

If anyone else has a similar experience, pls let me know. Otherwise I suppose I am gravely mistaken in my observations.

Anyway thanks again for sharing this build.
    I have only one Taunt skill (taunt on HoR) and of course it's and AoE taunt and your observation is correct. Before engaging a mob I usually run right into the middle while charging HoR to Taunt as many enemies as possible before the rest of the party gets to them. And there's two factors here. 1) When an enemy sees you they immediately turn your attention to you 2) When you succesfully taunt, they get a big red exclamation mark on their head. So sometimes if you look closely and are the first one to engage a mob and you taunt with HoR one or two don't get taunted (get an exclamation mark on their head), so I believe your taunt could miss. Or you aren't scary looking enough to taunt hahaha!!!!
    PL: Enisceloz: Level 76 (Warrior/Tank/Eni Express...Choo Choo!!!!)
    AL: Enisceloz: Level 26 (Warrior/Tank/Exterminator)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
    Might... durable is garbage at this point... 5 points gets you 5% armor... which at 1000 armor only gives you an extra 50 armor. Maybe at level 50 it will be worth something, but until then not a chance!
    Here's a post from a dev that explains the armor passive in detail.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...l=1#post902905

In his example, at level 21 with 980 armor, 4/5 in the armor passive adds 1.9% damage reduction. That may not be big enough to justify those points at our current armor levels, but that's still not too shabby.

Edit:
    Calculating this out for my own current armor shows the difference with using 5/5 durability as being 2%.

848*.00047619= 40.4% damage reduction
    (848*1.05)*.00047619= 42.4% damage reduction

Also something to take away from this is that since we are given this info, we can calculate that roughly 22 armor = 1% damage reduction at level 21.
    Last edited by Wizard_Mike; 12-30-2012 at 01:06 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wizard_Mike For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spidah View Post
    I have only one Taunt skill (taunt on HoR) and of course it's and AoE taunt and your observation is correct. Before engaging a mob I usually run right into the middle while charging HoR to Taunt as many enemies as possible before the rest of the party gets to them. And there's two factors here. 1) When an enemy sees you they immediately turn your attention to you 2) When you succesfully taunt, they get a big red exclamation mark on their head. So sometimes if you look closely and are the first one to engage a mob and you taunt with HoR one or two don't get taunted (get an exclamation mark on their head), so I believe your taunt could miss. Or you aren't scary looking enough to taunt hahaha!!!!
    Lol! Thanks Spidah and Reggin. Good to know that I'm not the only one with taunts occasionally not going off as intended.
    And yes, I guess you're right Reggin. Lag could be a contributing factor here. I too hope STS would develop the warrior class and taunt/armor reduction mechanics further, such that a warrior is not just another dps member of the party, but an essential tank component of a boss fight.

On the other hand, this being a mobile mmo, might be that they would prefer not to make the game too complicated for younger players to handle, etc. I think their philosophy is for the game to be a quick 5-10min thing. But i notice that with e dead city update, mobs hit a lot harder relative than before, so I believe they are willing to constantly tweak the game.

Would be interesting if there is a dual-spec option! And how this might tie in with rogue and sorc alternative bow and gun alternatives, which atm isn't too great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Honestly, I have to thank you for this awesome guide. I honestly am still new to MMO's and the only other MMO game I ever played was SL. And even there I was never a tank, I was an engi, sort of like a sorcerer here. Was used to healing and staying behind while still dealing some damage. So I wanted to change that here and decided to go Warrior to try out tanking. But my build was, like you stated, based on damage. But I'll totally try this out now, but your guide is based for guild runs, or at least a full party. I honestly play with lots of randoms... I should be looking for a good guild to join but I guess lots of the "Elite" ones aren't recruiting.. I'll probably still try this out, but in the meantime ill be looking for a guild as well.
    AB: Szangyoe
    AL: Szangtheman/Szangyoe/Szangheili

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

I have this exact build, and to be honest I like it. I have decent armor, DPS, and health, but I am not capped. I am only Lvl 19, and tbh this build is perfect with at least one more warrior with a similar build as yours. Why? Because when the rest of your party is attacking the enemy, you will honestly need one more tank to take up the aggro for you so you can heal yourself and then go back to damage taking for him and technically keep taking turns. If you think you can handle all the mobs attacking you, I say good luck...

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

I don't think another warrior is needed, as long as you have pots and pull smart. Juggernaut is good for the big pulls, and renew when properly timed is quite godly.

I actually changed up my gear a bit... lost about 45 armor but gained 300 health and 4% dodge. Sitting just under 3k health with 920 armor and 11.5% dodge.

I'm liking the new setup... dodge is pretty beast for a tank, since it is a direct cancelling of all damage. 10% dodge means you take 10% less damage, and a dodged big hit is incredible.

Pretty sure I'm going to be focusing on armor health and dodge only going forward. My dps is about 78. If STS actually makes the taunt mechanic slightly better (my suggestion would be to guarantee aggro for 1 second) this build would be perfect for the intended goal I had when making it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Reggin For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Now that I'm a Lvl 20 with the right gear for this build, I agree. I started using this build a bit too early which was why I need the extra warrior help, but now I think I can handle it.