Thread: Show self on minimap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Default Show self on minimap

This may not be a huge deal, but I would love it.

A little green arrow representing myself on the minimap would be great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Your current position is the position on map its like 3d.
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

I know, but I would still like an arrow on the minimap representing myself. Every other isometric game with a minimap like this has an arrow representing the player, so it's kind of a standard to me.

Are you against the idea? If so, why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Even if they did implement it, the arrow would be on top of u, cuz YOU ARE in the mini map.
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

I'm guessing you haven't played too many isometric games with minimap setups like this one. I'm also guessing you don't play with the minimap zoomed all the way out. After more than a decade of playing isometric games where my character is represented on the minimap with an arrow, I find I'm really missing it here.

But regardless, so you a against the idea? And your reason is because you don't feel you need it? That's fine. Do you feel this addition would make the game worse in any way?

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Probably not necessary.

You're dead center on the mini-map.

Test it by going to the same spot where an NPC is standing. When the NPC has a yellow ! it's obvious to see where it (green) is on the minimap even if a ton of players are around. I don't know about other devices, but on my iPod, that is exactly in the middle of the screen.

So, whether the minimap is zoomed all the way out, or all the way in, it's fairly easy to tell where you are on the minimap.

If you need another reference point, that's right in the middle of your name as well, if you have it displayed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Yes, I understand my location is always at the center of the minimap. And yes, I know this isn't necessary, I even started off the thread saying it wasn't a huge deal. Those are reasons why never adding it would be ok, but they are not actual reasons why adding it would be a bad idea. If adding a green arrow to the minimap to represent yourself would hurt the game in some way, then sure, my suggestion would be a bad idea. But I can't see how it would hurt the game in any way, especially since it's been a standard element of games like this for years now.

It's just something I'm used to from all the other isometric games I've played over the years and I would love to see it added to this one. Simple as that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Mike:910517
    Yes, I understand my location is always at the center of the minimap. And yes, I know this isn't necessary, I even started off the thread saying it wasn't a huge deal. Those are reasons why never adding it would be ok, but they are not actual reasons why adding it would be a bad idea. If adding a green arrow to the minimap to represent yourself would hurt the game in some way, then sure, my suggestion would be a bad idea. But I can't see how it would hurt the game in any way, especially since it's been a standard element of games like this for years now.

It's just something I'm used to from all the other isometric games I've played over the years and I would love to see it added to this one. Simple as that!
    Youre not getting what im saying, and its maybe cuz you dont play pl but even if they implement it, the arrow is going to be on your head whats the real point?

And in isometric games, isnt the minimap on the top right corner and not 3d ?
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheMiraclebird View Post
    Youre not getting what im saying, and its maybe cuz you dont play pl but even if they implement it, the arrow is going to be on your head whats the real point?

And in isometric games, isnt the minimap on the top right corner and not 3d ?
    Depends on the game. I can see you've never played Diablo 2, arguably the most famous isometric action RPG of all time, which had both a minimap that overlayed the gameplay field and had an arrow for your character. I challenge you to name another isometric game like this that has an overlay minimap WITHOUT the personal arrow on it.

And I totally get what you're saying. I don't know how many times or ways I can say I do. But since you don't see any point to it, you seem to think no one else ever should? Go set your minimap to be zoomed all the way out and turn the opacity up all the way so it's not transparent at all. Run like that for a few days and see if you can discover the value of such an arrow for yourself.

But for the love of Pete, please stop with the "I don't see the value in such a request, so there isn't any" argument. You don't see the value, don't think it would do anything, etc. That's fine! Nothing wrong with that at all. But stop trying to claim that the value I hold in such a feature is somehow wrong. If it had no value at all, then I would have never even noticed its absence in this game. But I noticed it right away and found myself missing it, so I clearly there is value in it for me.

Try running with your minimap zoomed out and at full opacity like I mentioned for a few days. I say a few days, because you really have to take time to get used to it and let it sink in. I can tell you why I like the personal reference arrow until I'm blue in the face, but you'll gain a better understanding if you discover why for yourself. Who knows, you may end up wishing for a personal minimap arrow yourself!