Thread: Do you think there will be a time when most people know their class

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Do you think there will be a time when most people know their class

And basic fundamentals of tank/dps/healer group composition? Albeit, a healing class doesn't really exist in AL.

I think the most basic thing a non tank class should know, is to run to the tank when aggro is received. And a tank should effectively try to maintain aggro on enemies as much as possible. I guess the fault partly lies with the game mechanics, specifically in the tanking talents... it would be much easier if you could specifically target certain enemies and if taunts were more reliable. But it still makes me laugh when I'm tanking and someone pulls aggro on something and then proceeds to run the complete opposite direction as I am.. or when I'm dpsing and a tank is sitting there focusing on one enemy while 15 others are running rampant hitting everyone else.

I just hope the player base matures and starts to understand the concept of the game style that al is. I think it would make it far more enjoyable for the bulk of the player base.

Granted, I played wow for many years, so I'm probably just expecting to much from a pocket mmorpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

You also have to think of this more like a diablo game. If someone wants to pull aggro, u can let them die. And truly good players can handle aggro no matter what the class. Although you are correct in if a DPS sees a tank has 1 or both taunt abilities then they should be smarter an run to that tank. So many warriors don't have those upgrades to skills that I think they are a bit programmed to fend for themselves. I too played wow (tank or DPS) so I understand to do this, but I'm afraid a lot of folks here hate that game or at least the ones that troll the forums. Cheers!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Diablo has no aggro mechanic. It randomly triggers on a fresh target. In fact for a period of time, the most effective tanks were mages who could perma-freeze elites as that was as good as tanking was going to get (keeping them locked in one place).

And no, even in WoW endgame there was a lot of encounters where people would blunder around. It just seemed to naturally happen less as you progressed upwards because other players were forced to learn the mechanics or fail. AL is a game where one player can carry the entire instance even if the other 3 were afk-- hardly encourages learning.
    Looking for dedicated leaderboard players with a sense of perfectionism and patience. PM me on the forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Many of us know our class, it just that you do runs with wrong ppl?
    A veteran who cannot let go the glorified Legends days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Could not agree more.
    Also agree that with current dungeons, class specificity and handling aggro isn't as needed as 1 character carrying the rest. Furthermore, it doesn't help that the game's focus is on rushing dungeons and finishing quickly. 90s hauntlet before patch was the closest we had, but even that was based on rushing.
    Perhaps an uber elite map would help if it were designed to be practically unfinishable. Would also emphasise the need for good class specificity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider023:918228
    Many of us know our class, it just that you do runs with wrong ppl?
    My post wasn't directed at anyone who consistently visits these forums, most here probably know their class very well, but majority of play time I do is with pugs and with my experience, 75% don't seem to know a quarter of what the upper 25% do. I try to run with my guild where I can, but it doesn't always work out like that unfortunately. If you don't run a lot of pugs or you get very lucky in your pairing roll then I could believe that someone would disagree with me... but with my experience and the posts I have read on these forums,I am inclined to believe that the majority of players don't take the time or energy to learn about the game they are playing.

Again, this is a pocket mmo and I'm trying to keep that in mind to settle on a logical perspective.

But mainly I am curious if this was the same issue with other sts titles and whether or not the player base matured as the game aged... that is my hopes at least, That this is a new game and has attracted players new to this genre and ultimately as the game progresses, it will yield a more knowledgeable player base.
    Last edited by grunt226; 01-05-2013 at 03:49 AM.