Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 plat for extra character (ripoff)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Default 12 plat for extra character (ripoff)

So I bought a extra character instead of making another account once I made the character I was very upset!
    -You do not keep the same name
    -gold is not the same on both accounts
    -pets are not on both accounts
    -kills and deaths restart
    The only benefit is sharing stash! 12 plat for that? More like 5-10 plat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

You do share gold, via the stash. Plus you share plat.

I do think pets should be account bound instead of character, at least the ones you purchase with plat.

Question. Are all these things you pointed out things that you get in other sts titles? If so, then I understand your frustration.

Also, you can get a lot of free and cheap plat via trial pay, so 12 plat isn't to big a deal, but I would welcome if they lowered it. I have 1 of each class, and would like to roll another for each for dedicated PvP toons, but I don't see myself forking out another 36 plat for that. But if I get into PvP, it would probably be much cheaper than respecing all the time, assuming the PvP and pve build are dramatically.different, which I see them being.

Additionally, I like that kills/deaths are individual, they are different characters by the way. And in my.case since I rolled a warrior last, I wouldn't have the 6000 kill 0 death radio on my warrior, which I am very proud of.
    Last edited by grunt226; 01-06-2013 at 02:09 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grunt226 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

I find it strange that you would expect a separate character to have the same name, kills, deaths, etc. as your first character. Have you ever played an MMO (or any game, really) that functioned like that?

I can understand an argument for pets and gold being shared directly, but the name/kills/deaths thing just has me baffled. I'm really curious if you have an example of a game that does that, because I would be interested in seeing how that works.

Oh, and just FYI, you can put gold in the stash, too, if you haven't noticed. So technically your characters do share gold.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wizard_Mike For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I too have never seen a mmo where you share names between characters. And I've played a lot of the mmos, but I'm new to sts titles so I wasn't sure if they had done that in the past. I guess it would make it easier to recognize friends and such, but that would be a first for me if I ever saw that. Plus is would make your name choices a little more restrictive, a lot of people name their characters based on the class.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Ok I understand yall but the name part makes no sence I have played all sts games am not new to this but it was my first time buying a extra character on one account. But come on why not the same name ? It would be more worth it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

This guy must be trolling.
    Last edited by Takezaki; 01-06-2013 at 01:53 PM.
    Shinrokuro - 16 Twink Warrior..........Takezaki - 26 Warrior

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Takezaki For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I still don't understand why you would want the same name, what other mmos do that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanee View Post
    Ok I understand yall but the name part makes no sence I have played all sts games am not new to this but it was my first time buying a extra character on one account. But come on why not the same name ? It would be more worth it!
    That's actually the part that makes the least sense, to be honest. Not trying to be mean at all, so I apologize if it seems that way.

Different characters are just that: different. They are separate. I'm thinking that perhaps you had the idea that the buy an extra character slot was actually just a way to switch between classes on the same character. I've thought about MMOs using a system like that before, but I've never actually seen any game use anything close to that.

In all fairness, I think you should change the thread title to remove the "ripoff" part from it. It's a derogatory statement based on a uninformed expectation. It's simply not reasonable to call something a ripoff when you didn't know what you were purchasing to begin with.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong by having those expectations. But to assume something is one thing, purchase it based on those assumptions, and then become angry at the company once you find out it's something else is definitely not right. It's not STS's fault that you had such expectations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Am not angry at sts ive been playing since pl and they have made games very fun am just upset that I did not know what it came with @grunt226 If all mmo games were alike there would be no reason to make more so just because some other mmo doesnt have something doesnt mean sts cant have it either you obviously compare other mmos to sts mmos so please dont say (what other mmo does that) @takezaki am not trolling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

I would take ripoff and put unexpected but no option without askibg a dev

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

If pets were for the account, then you could use your level 21 pet with your level 1 character, which would mean your pet hits harder than your character. It wouldn't work right, and it would make it too easy especially when pets reach higher levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Mike:919859

Different characters are just that: different. They are separate. I'm thinking that perhaps you had the idea that the buy an extra character slot was actually just a way to switch between classes on the same character. I've thought about MMOs using a system like that before, but I've never actually seen any game use anything close to that.
    Final fantasy online. You can have 1 character that can max out every class. You could even choose a main class and any other class as a secondary... like a warrior/white mage or a monk/ranger.. it was actually a really cool system, but when I played that game (at its inception) it was very very very party/group dependant and you couldn't even lvl past 12 or so without farming xp as a group with designated tanks, healers and dps all doing their part. Plus when you died, you lost xp.. very frustrating.
    Last edited by grunt226; 01-07-2013 at 05:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanee:919863
    @grunt226 If all mmo games were alike there would be no reason to make more so just because some other mmo doesnt have something doesnt mean sts cant have it either you obviously compare other mmos to sts mmos so please dont say (what other mmo does that)
    I never said all mmos had to be the same, all I meant was why you acted like that was something that was common and to be expected... if that was the norm I would understand, but since it is completely unheard of, why are you surprised and upset that this was not the case. There are many mmos, and I have played pretty much all of them and as different as they all, they all follow a specific recipe to be successful.. so they are all different but at the same time, very much alike.

And obviously I compare one mmo to another... they have been around almost a decade now, so precedent had been set on almost every feature that makes a mmo a mmo... don't even know why you would say that? And nothing you were upset about really exist in anything else, I'm just curious as to why you were expecting these things? If this were the first mmo out, then that's one thing, but this genre, at this point, has become very well defined and most features are either present in the vast majority of mmos or not.
    Last edited by grunt226; 01-07-2013 at 05:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Also, 12 platinum cost nut you get 10 back by leveling, so it costs only 2 in the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@grunt226

I agree, and although I respect Arcane's opinion, I was baffled by his/hers suggestion. I've been playing WoW forever, and have played multiple other MMO's, including all of the other STS titles, and I share your confusion. Honestly I think it would be the worst mistake STS ever made to make it so when you make a new character it keeps the same name, level, pets, and ect. In essence, that's not making a new character at all. That's just switching a class. While I think it would be cool to have the option to buy a class-switch (such as in WoW), it would completely ruin the character making paradigm in my opinion. What would be the fun in that? You make a new character because you want a new play experience. Some people hate leveling, but for me it's a big part of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, you do indeed share gold. You can put it in your stash and retrieve it from another character. If you had 500k, and made a new character and that one started with 500k too, you would have 1 mill. And that would completely destroy the economy. People would just save up, make new characters, and become rich in no time. Also taking out a good chunk of what makes the game fun IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just tried posting another thing, but it didn't seem to work the first time, so I tried again, and it didn't work so I apologize if 2 paragraph posts show up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grunt226 View Post
    Final fantasy online. You can have 1 character that can max out every class. You could even choose a main class and any other class as a secondary... like a warrior/white mage or a monk/ranger.. it was actually a really cool system, but when I played that game (at its inception) it was very very very party/group dependant and you couldn't even lvl past 12 or so without farming xp as a group with designated tanks, healers and dps all doing their part. Plus when you died, you lost xp.. very frustrating.
    Oh, figures. One of the few MMOs I never tried has that feature, lol. I always thought it would be cool for a single character to level up as one class, go to a job station (for lack of a better name) and switch to a different class and level up again. The player could switch between any class, with each class being leveled separately. A set of equipped gear would be "stored" on the class it went with, which would automatically swap out when switching classes.

Is that kind of how it worked in FFXI?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    If pets were for the account, then you could use your level 21 pet with your level 1 character, which would mean your pet hits harder than your character. It wouldn't work right, and it would make it too easy especially when pets reach higher levels.
    Yeah, that would definitely be a problem. Of course, if they made pets work for your account, they could just limit each pet's level to the level of the character summoning it. For example, say you have a level 19 Wrathjaw. When you summon it with your level 21 Sorc, Wrathjaw shows up at it's current level of 19. If you summon it with your level 13 rogue, Wrathy is limited to being level 13.

Just gotta think outside the box! There's always a way to make something work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

[QUOTE=Wizard_Mike:920597]
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt226 View Post

Oh, figures. One of the few MMOs I never tried has that feature, lol. I always thought it would be cool for a single character to level up as one class, go to a job station (for lack of a better name) and switch to a different class and level up again. The player could switch between any class, with each class being leveled separately. A set of equipped gear would be "stored" on the class it went with, which would automatically swap out when switching classes.

Is that kind of how it worked in FFXI?
    It has been years since I played that game, but from what I recall when you changed jobs it would either restore the previous gear set or equip the best gear for that job... but I don't remember for certain. They also had a lot of classes (maybe 12-15 or so), and"hero" classes that could be unlocked in end game, definitely plenty of things to do. But that games was crazy time consuming... like, end game raid bosses taking hours to kill.